Sign in to follow this  
mahoney

Hanuman Chalisa

Rate this topic

jo sata bara patha kara koii

chutahi bandhi maha sukha hoii

jo yaha padai hanumana chalisa

hoya siddhi sakhi gaurisa

"Whoever chants hanuman chalisa 100 times will attain maha sukha (the greatest happiness). Those who chant hanuman chalisa attain siddhi, for this statement Lord Shiva, the husband of Gauri, is the witness."

This is the statement by Tulasidas that is explained by sadhus to mean one receives darshan of Hanuman by daily reciting hanuman chalisa 108 times.

Guest guest

or English? If in sanskrit, is it necessary to know the meaning while chanting? Can you provide a link? How many days in a row? How long does it take to recite 108 times?

or English? If in sanskrit, is it necessary to know the meaning while chanting?

You can learn the meaning slowly over time. It is always better to know the meaning of what one is chanting, but don't wait till you have memorized the meanings before chanting. Start chanting and slowly try learning the meanings for each verse.

How many days in a row?

108 times a day for 108 days.

How long does it take to recite 108 times?

At first it will take you 7 minutes, but once you have memorized it and have practice chanting it, it will take 3 1/2 minutes to recite one time. Chanting 108 times will take you 7 hours or more, depending on how many gaps one has while chanting.

Guest guest

but I still have some doubts.

1) Do I recite in Hindi?

2) Can I recite from the computer or is there a specific formal way to do it?

3) 108 days in a row? Because some days, you may not be able to devote 7 hours, so is it without a gap?

4) What time of the day?

Thanks in advance. Has anyone here tried it and succeeded?

Guest guest

Are u sure you have to recite it 108 times a day.Its a long prayer and i dont think anyone can recite it 108 times a day

1) Do I recite in Hindi?

Yes.

2) Can I recite from the computer or is there a specific formal way to do it?

Take a print out. Confirm with someone the pronunciation. Hear a recording of it as well to verify further. Then begin by reading it. Eventually by reading it many times you will have it memorized.

3) 108 days in a row? Because some days, you may not be able to devote 7 hours, so is it without a gap?

There can't be any gaps. This isn't something for everyone to do. Those who want to see something divine must be ready to give up something mundane. It won't end after 108 days either. Don't bother making a plan that you will try it for 108 days and then go back to the "real" world. Once you start you won't be going back. There is a chain reaction that pushes you in another direction.

4) What time of the day?

Beginning early morning 4 am till you finish.

Are u sure you have to recite it 108 times a day.Its a long prayer and i dont think anyone can recite it 108 times a day.

No one has to recite it 108 times a day. But if we want to attain certain results then there are systems to follow. Everyone performs sadhana according to their capacity and spiritual desire. This particular sadhana is very rare and secret. There is more to it, but it is something that needs to be learnt personally from someone.

Those who read hanuman chalisa will one day ask themselves why every day they are chanting the verse "jo sata bara patha...". The chalisa itself is saying "one who chants this 100 times" attains mahasukha and siddhi. Most people will chant it every day without asking what it is referring to. Out of many people one will look at the meaning of the verses and try to figure out what it is speaking about. Even then, one can't know the meaning precisely. The only way is to find sadhus who can tell us the purport.

Guest guest

I have a few more doubts and I hope you can clarify them.

1) Can you please provide an authentic (Vaishnava) link which has both text and audio of the chalisa? I am wary of google search, i may settle for fake links since I am naive.

2) Is the result guaranteed? Will I actually see Lord Hanuman in the flesh?

3) So I read from the printout, right? Can I assume that there is no need for formalities like incense, clothing etc.? I just learn the right pronunciation and recite, is that so?

4) I understand it should be 108 days in a row without gaps. But I can't understand this statement of yours. "Don't bother making a plan that you will try it for 108 days and then go back to the "real" world. Once you start you won't be going back. There is a chain reaction that pushes you in another direction."

Does it mean Lord Hanuman will make me give up this 'real' world after 108 days? What will he make me do then? Is that what you mean by 'no going back'?

1) Can you please provide an authentic (Vaishnava) link which has both text and audio of the chalisa? I am wary of google search, i may settle for fake links since I am naive.

I will post it after a couple days.

2) Is the result guaranteed? Will I actually see Lord Hanuman in the flesh?

Everything is up to you and your devotion. My guarantee is meaningless, but Lord Shiva's word is there as the witness ("hoya siddhi sakhi gaurisa").

3) So I read from the printout, right? Can I assume that there is no need for formalities like incense, clothing etc.? I just learn the right pronunciation and recite, is that so?

Other things can always help, such as offering incense, flowers, praying, etc. And most importantly you need to chant Rama's name to please Hanuman.

Does it mean Lord Hanuman will make me give up this 'real' world after 108 days? What will he make me do then? Is that what you mean by 'no going back'?

Yes, it's something like that. You will go through different stages, with vairagya (detachment) increasing every step. The most notable thing will be that you will come in contact with sadhus one after the other. They are all working together to get us on the track. "sadhu santa ke tuma rakhavare", Lord Hanuman is the protector of sadhus. Sometimes those sadhus carry out his works on his behalf.

Guest guest

Thanks again. Please be kind enough to post a link as soon as possible, I am very eager.

Must I recite mentally or audibly and loudly?

Also you said: "And most importantly you need to chant Rama's name to please Hanuman."

I am assuming we should chant it anytime of the day, not just before or after the chalisa. Am I correct?

"Yes, it's something like that. You will go through different stages, with vairagya (detachment) increasing every step. The most notable thing will be that you will come in contact with sadhus one after the other. They are all working together to get us on the track. "sadhu santa ke tuma rakhavare", Lord Hanuman is the protector of sadhus. Sometimes those sadhus carry out his works on his behalf."

But what if you're living in a western country, there are no sadhus there. How will I meet sadhus even if the chalisa helps me in attaining dispassion?

Guest guest

If it's 4 am, should it be accurate? I mean, ten minutes before or after should be ok, right?

Second, suppose I finish the chalisa at 11 am, what should I do from then? Am I allowed to go out or let people come to my apartment? Simply put, can I engage in 'ordinary' activities after 11 am such as meeting friends or going to work? Or should I do nothing of the sort for 108 days?

Thanks in advance.

Must I recite mentally or audibly and loudly?

Recite it aloud, but softly, enough for you to hear it.

Also you said: "And most importantly you need to chant Rama's name to please Hanuman."

I am assuming we should chant it anytime of the day, not just before or after the chalisa. Am I correct?

Yes, throughout the day, when you wake up, when you shower, when you walk in the road. Try to get your mind to remember Him as much as possible.

But what if you're living in a western country, there are no sadhus there. How will I meet sadhus even if the chalisa helps me in attaining dispassion?

I have no idea how he will arrange it, but I have faith he will do it somehow. Nothing is impossible for him.

If it's 4 am, should it be accurate? I mean, ten minutes before or after should be ok, right?

The exact time isn't so important. It is related to the sunrise. One and a half hours before sunrise is good.

Second, suppose I finish the chalisa at 11 am, what should I do from then? Am I allowed to go out or let people come to my apartment? Simply put, can I engage in 'ordinary' activities after 11 am such as meeting friends or going to work? Or should I do nothing of the sort for 108 days?

You can do your regular activities, but try to remember Lord Rama and Hanuman throughout the day. The sadhana takes your mind out of the world and puts it in the Lord. Some material activities will do the opposite and absorb our minds in the world. It would be better for this period if you avoided television and other things that draw your mind away from God into the mundane.

Guest guest

you've cleared all of my doubts. If it isn't too much trouble, can you please post an authentic Vaishnava link? Besides, I've been chanting the maha-mantra for a few weeks now. Would that be a good way to remember Lord Ram, or do I have to give up mahamantra during hanuman chalisa and remember Lord Ram by reciting ram-nama only?

The mahamantra is the best way to remember Lord Rama. When Lord ramachandra returned to Vaikuntha Hanuman asked the blessings to stay on earth as long as the name of Rama is chanted in this world. Where ever that chanting is, he resides in that place. Chanting the mahamantra will be the best way to please Hanuman.

http://www.iiramii.net/en/hjhc.htm

[Hanuman chalisa]

http://www.iiramii.net/mmc/mmns.asp?id=3&sid=30

[Hanuman Chalisa recited 11 times]

Free Recording Program:

http://www.uploading.com/?get=MFM2A24G (1.1Mbs)

Hanuman Chalisa Recorded with Above: (5.5Mbs)

http://www.uploading.com/?get=UZDATM71

Copyright of Respective Ownwers. (wink)

Tips, To record, (choose Stereo Mix, and 128Kbps

for High Quality Audio or at least 32kbps)

When Lord ramachandra returned to Vaikuntha

is Saketa one of Vaikuntha planets? Did Lord Rama return to Saketa? I have read that Shveta Dvipa is a Vaikuntha planet in material world. Is Saketa also in material world or is it in spiritual world?

Guest guest

No one has to recite it 108 times a day. But if we want to attain certain results then there are systems to follow. Everyone performs sadhana according to their capacity and spiritual desire. This particular sadhana is very rare and secret. There is more to it, but it is something that needs to be learnt personally from someone.

Those who read hanuman chalisa will one day ask themselves why every day they are chanting the verse "jo sata bara patha...". The chalisa itself is saying "one who chants this 100 times" attains mahasukha and siddhi. Most people will chant it every day without asking what it is referring to. Out of many people one will look at the meaning of the verses and try to figure out what it is speaking about. Even then, one can't know the meaning precisely. The only way is to find sadhus who can tell us the purport.

isn't the word "satha" supposed to mean seven????

So where are you getting the hundred times from? And then you say it's not 100 but 108 times. So which is right?

isn't the word "satha" supposed to mean seven????

In Hindi, 'saat' means seven. But there is another word pronounced as "shata". It is a Sanskrit word used in Hindi also. It means hundred.

Guest guest

Ok, but what about the distinction between 100 and 108?

If the chalisa itself says to speak it 100 times, yet JN Das is saying speak it 108 times, why the discrepancy?

Ok, but what about the distinction between 100 and 108?

If the chalisa itself says to speak it 100 times, yet JN Das is saying speak it 108 times, why the discrepancy?

108 is considered an auspiscious number. Many authros have used the word for hundred as just an approximation for 108. Some places you will read names of some god or goddess are mentioned. But, when you actually count, you will find 108.