IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

Happy Birthday to Babhu Prabhu

Rate this topic

Guest guest

BTW, bro, whatchu drivin these days. 56-60 aint bad, the Navy wont get us back, and gHari resides where the Navy actually defends the country.

A vaisnava transcends the position of sanyass anyway.

good wishes, and you can get me back next feb 23. Good birthday, as sometimes that day is gaura purnima.

you old bro, mahaksadasa

A '96 Chevy Cavalier, quite common here, and one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made (but it's paid for). I pickup or a Subaru Forester would make a lot more sense for us here.

Before I moved back here, I had a '93 Saturn, the only new car I've ever owned (there's a story, but it's not really interesting). Goofy looking, but very reliable.

Guest guest

Mahak prabhu

I'll mark Feb 23, red in my calendar.

Sometimes I think, the cross between "hippieism" and vaishnavism is such a nice result!

Haribol

Myrla (stonehearted is my boss)

Guest guest

Yeah, I admit it, because when I see the word Grate, I think of the grateful dead, and always wondered why it isnt speelled greatful dead.

Well, back to the issues here that are so dominant. I tried to infuse my transcendental cars into Babhrus birthday celebration, and this is a "grate" offense. Maybe I should ask what kind of guitar do yall play. I gotta Ibanez Artist with a peavey stereo chorus amp.

Or maybe we should talk about our friend Vrsni's truck that I bought from him, and met Babhru at govinda dasis at puako beach, in that space of time after ISKCON was dissolved, before Sudama came to put us back on line. Those were good days, and nostalgia, when used in devotional service, is not mundane activity, rather referred to as "Visnu smaranam", one of the nine devotional practices, rememberance of Krsna and His paraphenalia (i.e. his devotees).

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

theist:

"grate"??? I resent that. Grate sounds like irrate. I don't grate, I infuriate!

I got a rep to keep up Babhru, don't mess with it.

A straw between my teeth, my head on the ground, I offer heartfelt apologies, with the fervent hope that we may live to irritate each other another day.

Amen! And how about the hours-long kirtans at the Peahi weekend retreats? Or the time Siddha led a kirtan at his place at Haiku, and every time the devotees seemed to lose energy, Siddha cranked the kirtan up a few notches, until, after a couple of hours, when everyone had gotten carried away on the waves of the holy names, he finally wound the kirtan down, and explained, "When you no longer want to stop chanting, it's okay to stop"? (I'm working on my Faulknerian--or Proustian--long sentences.)

Guest guest

Haribol, on this free-wheeling topic, there is not a thing wrong with long sentences (grammer, not jurisprudance), as long as they make good points. While I was doing my M.Johnson v. Department of the Navy routine, I did these unbelievably long sentences, and I refused to follow the "suggestions" of the grammer program while proofreading my briefs. When the affidavit/testimony was complete, it was graded at level 17 on one program, meaning post grad, pre-PHD level. And proust and Faulkner were no dummies, either. (what, Im starting a sentence with the word "and".

Consider this a birthday present, professor.

And them kirtanas, rocky point quonsett hut, good stuff. Once (I think while you and Vrsni were preparing to go to SA), there was a great electric kirtana at the beach park at the end of the road in Kauai, just past Hanalei. Goursundara took me there, with sasishekara flying the plane under the guidance of tarun kanti. What a fest, a great first day in official temple life, with all the old gang of kauai.

The Haiku sessions were so sweet, even during the political campaigns. Ive heard that even rathayatras are subdued nowadays compared to those good old days.

At the boy scout camp retreat on maui, I remember a five hour session on the harmonium, my teeth were so bad that I had to keep water in my mouth to keep from screaming, but Siddha encouraged the kirtana players so well, so much fun, that the only sadness was when the chanting stopped. At it for five hours straight gives one what indigenous tribesmen call a "vision quest", had a few in those days, where chariots come off the walls, where all the devotees stop chanting and just look at each other smiling goofily, wondering why Harinam is still booming from the sky (dem demigods could never resist those goodens).

Give my best to Hilo, the best city in the world.

Hare Krsna, yo bro, mahak

A straw between my teeth, my head on the ground, I offer heartfelt apologies, with the fervent hope that we may live to irritate each other another day.

And thanks for catching my typo irrate instead of irritate. Another thing that I know you do to bug me. LOL

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey--dude! That's not me! It's August in Hawaii, so wehave blue water with no wetsuit (although I do wear rash guards for the UV).

BTW, I have surfed on waves right next to porpoises, which is way cool! (Freaked my daughter out, though.)

ooo, I just made the connection to the Babu...

Happy Birthday Babhruji! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

not long to retirement from mundane work I hope? I have sooooo much more to go... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

That would be fun. I never learned to board surf anyway. I would body surf at Maakapu. Every fifth attempt I would catch one. Usually I just got crushed in the white water.

I remember coral cuts from just swimming. Stuff is like razor blades. Bleeding surfers must make for some good shark bait.

Guest guest

Thanks gHari, for the memories. I went surfin at brookings Beach in 1983, had a great time in 8 foot waves, but then I saw this shadow (not as clear as your photo) under my toes, I caught the next wave in, holding the rails until my fin hit the sand, then looked out to see a sea lion happily body surfin those good waves.

My best memory was two beaches on the kona coast, inaccessable back when I went there, maybe accessable now, makalavena cove and mahauula point. The point was always a feeding frenzy for the famous hawaii blues, the ones that dine on human arms at sunset at places like hapuna and mauis west side, mckenna et al. But makalavena was a great body surfin spot, very hollow waves of the six foot variety very fast (needed churchills and a plywood hand paddle) Makalevena has porpoises always, and they would body surf with us. Sharks dont go where porpoises go, so we were very confident in the water, even though we could see the sharks feeding on the point in the evening glass-off, we had faith in our porpoise friends. The daze, eh fellahs?

Also, a great body surfin spot when the waves hit was the beautiful beach at Waipio Bay, the famous spot of Hawaiis first rathayatra festival. I remember body surfin there with the assembled devotees, prahlada, dhanada, kanva, daksa, sudama swami, subala swami, and the ookala gang, on the day I was initiated, no less. Some are dead, some are lawyers, but all are included in Visnoh smaranam. All glories to the devotees, past and present and future, Krsna protects us all.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Yeah, speaking of sharks (well, lawyers) Prahlad and I talked a little (not enough) at our Rathayatra in Hilo a couple of weeks ago. And Subal and his wife had dinner with us a couple of days later.

And speaking of body surfing, I remember watching a surf flick a few years ago (actually, a bodyboarding flick called The Inside) and watching mean Waimea shorebreak and remembering that we used to body surf that--without any fins! And I lived to 58.

I would do it in a heartbeat if I could (and I know I will when the time comes)... I think Srila Prabhupada wants all of his mature disciples who are experienced with the worldly affairs to go back to full time service in his mission. I know you do a lot for the mission anyway, but imagine what can be accomplished if many devotees like your good self took up full time service of spreading his movement. I think our society needs it very, very much. If you san still surf at 58 you definitely have what it takes! /images/graemlins/wink.gif