IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

Garbha [Amba-durga worship] and Vaishnavas

Rate this topic

I would like to know why Hindus, with Vaishnavas are mixing pure Krishna Worship with Durga Worship in Hindu temples, and dragging Iskcon devotees and many other organizations into this. I do think if this goes on, we will go back to sqaure one. Know what I mean?

Guest guest

A lot of devotees bring their baggage with them when they come to the movement.

Guest guest

I doubt many worshippers of Durga have this desire

>>Who are you to judge them?

Guest guest

HareKrishna! AGTSP!PAMHO!

Its not a question of judging. If one fully surrenders to Krsna, he loses interest in everything including demi-god worship is how I have understood by reading various Srila Prabhupada books and also experienced personally. That does not mean I do not offer respects to the demi-gods. Far from it! On the contrary, we have many pics of demigods. The point that the sastras make is that offering respects to demigods or offering pooja to Lord Shiva on a special day like Shiv Ratri or 9 days like Navratri to Goddess Durga may be fine, but if one takes to Krsna conciousness seriously like chanting 16 rounds and following the 4 regulative principles, he cannot think of anything besides Krsna. Some one please correct me if I am wrong or have offended anyone.

Guest guest

krishna's ras lila falls on sharad purnima, and this is not long after navratri, so this is a possible link for this, but i personally feel that some gaudiya vaisnavas are disrespecting so-called demigods by saying not to worship them altogether, I believe thier worship is ok, as long as it is not for material gain.

Guest guest

"thier worship is ok, as long as it is not for material gain. "

SPOT ON! it is for the 'material gain' element that deim-god worship is denounced, not for the mere fact of being a demigod.

Spirituality should make you open-minded, not close-minded - by doing demigod worship there is natural progression to Godhead worship - it is a matter of stepping stones. You might be at step 516, but what of the guys stuck on step 2? They have to go thru natural progression.

The Gopis did indeed perform some form of Durga worship, and the Govardhan incident proves the existence of other demigod worship. Did Krsna hate them for this? NO. They Loved Him, and He loved them! PURE BHAKTI! That was the key, demigod worship or not. Bhakti was always there.

Even if Demigod worship exists in devotees in any movement, not just ISKCON, then understand that to be the natural path to path of devotion. Like one road leads to another road leads to another road etc.

G.

Guest guest

"Know that all are worshipping Me, either directly or indirectly through the demigods".

KRSNA.

Still as guest has stated it is better to worship Krsna directly as in doing that we will automaticly serve everyone else including the demigods, but not nessacarily so if focussed on a particular demigod.

Then if we consider the demigods as servants of Swayam Bhagavan then Krsna states that the one who serves my servants is truly my servant, but this can get a little ambiguous if we lose sight of the Supreme original personality of Godhead. Safer to serve Krsna and respect all demigods.

Isnt calling durga by the term 'demi god' a big mistake? durga is krishna's vahiranga shakti.prabhupad said that durga is the supreme power (SHAKTI)and krishna is the supreme powerfull(SHAKTIMAAN) and that there is no strict difference between the two , in his 'krishna' book.

so if you label durga as demigod u automatically label a part of krishna as demigod.as we all know demigods are not perfect it also implies that krishna becomes imperfect by this principle.

and can anyone who is imperfect be termed as godhead???

how,then can you call her a 'demigod' ?