IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Mosquito Repellent

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Any good herbal or non-poisonous insect repellent out there? The mosquitos are eating me up, and I don't want to use a product with DEET in it cuz of the possible liver damage. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

There is that oil. I forgot the name right now. Starts with a c, like can something. No not canola oil. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

It works great, stinks though but it's worth it.

citronella oil is nowhere near as effective as DEET. if you get drained by the bugs you may have more problems than some liver damage.

spray on clothes heavily, and lightly on skin. or use DEET on clothes and citronella oil on skin.

Guest guest

that goes away after a hundred or so mosquito bites (the body acclimises to the mosquito's anti-coagulant and no longer swells/itches) I am most worried about West Nile. It has been found in dead birds in most of the US. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Guest guest

of DEET, we used to use 100% solutions. Cutter's and other commercial insect repellents only use 2% solution mixed with all kinds of other filler. It was called Jungle Juice, and was real cheap because the Army used it in Viet Nam. They sell it at REI and other sporting good stores. The stuff is really amazing, but my liver is getting pretty old......

Yes citronella is what I was thinking of. I used one night when I was being swarmed and they wouldn't even land on my skin. Worked great. Never tried it on my clothes. The ravaging beasts would hover about two feet away. Had to reapply after a few hours. They make candles with it also.

This is the first year I am placing screens on my windows. It is rare I get a mosquito but West Nile has made it's way to my neighborhood.

Guest guest

Try eating the new small neem leaves if u r in India...otherwise try eating bitter melon which is also known as karela...that should make your blood not so tasty 4 da insects...and reduce ur insulin.

Guest guest

Citronella is the name. Better still, get your local homoeopath to give you a dose of Malaria officinalis, a homoeopathic remedy made from the rotting plants on which the mozzies breed. If you have malaria, it removes the plasmodium causing the fever and makes you immune for life! I have used it countless times to do exactly thet.

Get a 200C potency if you have malaria and otherwise use a 30X to acquire immunity, with as nice side effect that the mozzies no longer like your blood.

VdK.

Guest guest

ah yes the Vaisnava is reluctant to kill even a mosquito

___Srila Prabhupada____

Guest guest

yes keep the blood bitter with diet and herbs ie. golden seal and neem ingested keeps the bugs away as they like the sweet from the breath

use garlic medicinally and you wll repel unwanted persons again with that sweet breath lol

Physical barriers like window screens are best, but where even this do not work, try citronella candles or mosquito coils. Formerly, mosquito coils were made by mixing Chrysanthemum flowers and leaves with ground coconut shells as base. At present however, I think DEET is being used to make these coils. If you can't stand being ' smoked ' the whole night through, then steer clear of coils. If all else fails, stay inside your mosquito net.:rolleyes:

i don't know about mustard oil. They say if you take viamin B1 and avoid fruits it helps. Especially bananas.

I bought a little battery operated device at an Alpine air store. It hooks on your belt. I has two sonic modes-one of a dragonfly which is a preditor and one of a male mosquito which the biting females avoid.

I don't think it spoke the same language as the male mosquitoes in South India though as that mode did not work so well. The other mode reduced them considerably.