IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

Jesus Forbid chanting Matthew 6:7?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Guest guest

Verse says it's not quantity that counts but quality. Emphasis is on "much". It doesn't say "don't chant (pray)", nor does it encourage to pray (chant) ostentatiously or like a machine.

"God won't give a mercedes Benz

My friends are driving Porsches

I must make amends

Work hard all my life time

No help from my friends

Oh Lord won't ya buy me

A Mercedes Benz"

-Janis Joplin

To chant that prayer is vain repetiton.

Perhaps to chant the holy names to get a Benz would also be vain repetition.

Whoever is saying that Jesus is against chanting God's names is fool number 1, and 2 as well.

Guest guest

If a devotee just mechanically chants over and over again without igniting communication with the Lord, it must mean that the Lord is not responding to their call probably because the mind is elsewhere on the things of this world.

The difference is in the real ego and the false ego, it can be very subtle. But kirtan or bhajan is for the pleasure of Krsna and guru not for us, as much as we want anandam, kirtan starts when it is for Their pleasure not ours, and when they are pleased with our adjustment, anandam will automaticly flow down to us from Their reservoir of pleasure, we just have to find the anathas that are blocking or diverting that flow. It's not always easy to recognize and adjust our own obstacles.

The higher kirtan or praises are eternally pervadeing the spiritual atmosphere and when we come into contact with that party it will capture us. And if we are fortunate we will stay in the proximity of that sadhu sanga. The purer agents will make us want that priceless treasure. For hearing from the sadhus will spontaneously make us chant, dance and laugh uncontrollably and share your own divine gift in infinitly variagated, ever-new, ever-fresh expressions of Their lordships glories.

But to the layman it can definately appear like boring repetition. Then they very rarely venture to a temple where hundreds of songs from myriads of saints are being sung.

In Sri Caitanya Saraswat Math there are not only all the previous acharyas songs sung regularly but also many of Srila Sridhara Maharajs and Srila Govinda Maharajs' exquisite glorifications, that give deep internal multi faceted views of the Lord and His devotees.

The pure devotees every utterance even their hickups give anandam, it is all a song just as every movement is a dance.

I remember when Srila Prabhupad moved an eyebrow it would send the devotees into cartwheels of joy. That is kirtan, and everything in the environment is moved by that kirtan.

Krsna enters the surrendered soul and chants His own glories thru that fortunate jiva. And there is no reason why it can't be any of us if we take this process seriously.

Guest guest

One must leaqrn what "vanity" means. Some chant "krsna, krsna", but never lose the false ego, and "krsna" is just their own imagination of their name.

But the names of god are not vain repetitions. Lord Jesus instructs us always, as does King David and King Solomon, that the chanting of gods names are the only process of actual prayer. One cannopt say that chanting the names of Krsna go against the teachings of Lord Jesus Christ when he initiates his disciples by having them praise the names of God (the Lords Paryer.)

This was a ridiculous tactic of the frauds known as the Children of God against devotees in the early days.

hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Guest guest

As I'm not a Christian, I don't care what the Bible says. I will try to follow in the footsteps of our glorious acarya. Why is it that devotees from Christian backgrounds mix Vaisnavaism with Christianity? I've never seen a picture of Jesus on any alter in Vrndavana.