IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Association with devoted souls and chanting the holy name, are everything

Rate this topic

The Slippery way to Degradation

"The Slippery way to degradation is charming at the very outset, apparently invigorating, is enriched with pseudo expectations, an apparent acquisition of chewing the cud of sweet dreams, a tantalized plane of seeming renunciation and a store-house of phantasmagoria or a high mansion of will-o-the-wisp. When false hopes are entertained and failure is realized suicide from the acme of the Everest will result and as one is falling he will meet obstruction by the uneven caves of hilly deserts. But the way of downfall from the transcendental plane is so very smooth, polished and lubricated and of marble that hardly any trace of resistance could be had during such a fall.

Krishna said to Arjuna "Those miscreants who are grossly foolish, who are lowest among mankind, whose knowledge is stolen by illusion, and who partake of the atheistic nature of demons do not surrender unto Me". - BG 7.15

It has also been said by sadhus; "Enter by the narrow gate; for the other gate is wide and the way is easy but leads to destruction, and those who enter it are many".

Individuals, communities, large and small have fallen from their lofty positions. The great societies of the past i.e. Aryan, Greek, Roman, Atlantian etc. as well as powerful individuals situated upon lofty Sofas have come and gone.

You may ask "what is the cause?" Some say bad management ( politics ) others say it was destined.

The many who have fallen down are of two categories;

1. Those who have fallen due to chasing illusions - the sense enjoyers, exploiters, etc.

2. The second group fell down ( re-birth ) from a plane of transcendence due to bad association and offenses to the holy name and the genuine sadhus. Both are products of Maya.

What have we learned?

What can I do?

"For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to transcendental life, and those who find it are few".

Sri Krishna has said: "And of all yogis, the one with great faith who always abides in Me, thinks of Me within oneself, and renders transcendental loving service to Me—is most intimately united with Me in yoga and is the highest of all. That is My opinion." - BG 6.47

The Point is "persons who do not render devotional service ( singing the holy name ) with genuine humility and neglecting their duty unto the primeval Lord, who is the source of all living entities, and who dwells in everyone's heart will certainly fall down from their constitutional position".

It is by great fortune that souls come to associate with and serve pure Vaishnavas on the path of bhakti-yoga (Krishna Consciousness).

The ideal yogi ( devotee ) concentrates their attention on Krishna, who is called Syamasundara, who is as beautifully colored as a monsoon rain cloud, whose lotus like face is as effulgent as the sun, whose dress is brilliant with jewels and whose body is garlanded by forest flowers. Illuminating all sides is His gorgeous luster, which is called the brahmajyoti.

How do we render service to the Supreme Lord?

"In this age of quarrel and hypocrisy, the only means of deliverance is the chanting of the Holy Names of the Lord. There is no other way. There is no other way. There is no other way then by chanting this Holy name of Krishna: hare krishna hare krishna, krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama, rama rama hare hare ". - Brhan Naradiya Puran

In this Age of Kali, the holy name of the Lord, the Hare Krishna maha-mantra, is the incarnation of Lord Krishna. Simply by chanting the holy name one associates with the Lord directly. Anyone who does this is certainly delivered.

nama vinu kali-kale nahi ara dharma

sarva-mantra-sara nama, ei shastra-marma

In this Age of Kali there is no religious principle other than the chanting of the holy name, which is the essence of all Vedic hymns. This is the purport of all scriptures.

kaler dosa-nidhe rajann asti hy eko mahan gunah

kirtanad eva krsnasya mukta-sangah param vrajet

krte yad dhyayato visnum tretayam yajato makhaih

dvapare paricaryayam kalau tad dhari-kirtanat

"My dear king, although Kali-yuga is full of faults, there is still one good quality about this age: simply by chanting the Hare Krsna maha-mantra, one can become free from material bondage and be promoted to the transcendental kingdom. Self realization that was achieved in the Satya millennium by meditation, in the Treta millennium by the performance of different sacrifices, and in the Dvapara millennium by worship of Lord Krishna can be achieved in the Age of Kali simply by chanting the holy names, Hare Krishna." - Srimad-Bhagavatam 12.3.51-2

It is said in the last verse of Srimad Bhagavatam; "I offer my respectful obeisances unto the Supreme Lord, Hari, the congregational chanting of whose holy names destroys all sinful reactions, and the offering of obeisances unto whom relieves all material suffering".

In the Visnu Purana it is said;

dhyayan krte yajan yajnais-tretayam dvapare rcayan

yadapnoti tadapnoti kalau samkirtaya kesavam

"The supreme goal which was attained in Satya-yuga by years of prolonged meditation; in Treta-yuga by performing extensive yajnas; in Dvapara-yuga by opulent and scrupulous Deity worship; in Kali-yuga the same results are easily had simply by the chanting of the holy name."

As one vibrates the holy name the inner aspect of devotion gradually comes out then we shall be able to dive deep into reality. Our hearts approval will be harmonized with that of the revealed scriptures and the living saints. - BRSDG

Inconclusion, when reflecting on history we cannot blame any one society , individual or the external environment for the fall of so-called civilized societies. What we can say is that the environment was "friendly" but as long as people maintain an exploitive attitude their vision remains cloudy and the result will be that individuals and societies will not have the ability to recognize the pure motivation of souls who represent the supreme lord and will not have enthusiasm to glorify the Supreme via his holy names. "Time and tide wait for no man" therefore all things ( Great Persons and Societies ) come and go.

Association with devoted souls and chanting the holy name, are everything.

Submitted for the pleasure of all the kind hearted devotees - Arijit Das

Haribol,

It is by great fortune that souls come to associate with and serve pure Vaishnavas on the path of bhakti-yoga (Krishna Consciousness).

I need to somehow fully understand this, but only by mercy.

"The Slippery way to degradation is charming at the very outset, apparently invigorating, is enriched with pseudo expectations, an apparent acquisition of chewing the cud of sweet dreams, a tantalized plane of seeming renunciation and a store-house of phantasmagoria or a high mansion of will-o-the-wisp. When false hopes are entertained and failure is realized suicide from the acme of the Everest will result and as one is falling he will meet obstruction by the uneven caves of hilly deserts. But the way of downfall from the transcendental plane is so very smooth, polished and lubricated and of marble that hardly any trace of resistance could be had during such a fall.

Krishna said to Arjuna "Those miscreants who are grossly foolish, who are lowest among mankind, whose knowledge is stolen by illusion, and who partake of the atheistic nature of demons do not surrender unto Me". - BG 7.15

It has also been said by sadhus; "Enter by the narrow gate; for the other gate is wide and the way is easy but leads to destruction, and those who enter it are many".

Individuals, communities, large and small have fallen from their lofty positions. The great societies of the past i.e. Aryan, Greek, Roman, Atlantian etc. as well as powerful individuals situated upon lofty Sofas have come and gone.

You may ask "what is the cause?" Some say bad management ( politics ) others say it was destined.

The many who have fallen down are of two categories;

1. Those who have fallen due to chasing illusions - the sense enjoyers, exploiters, etc.

2. The second group fell down ( re-birth ) from a plane of transcendence due to bad association and offenses to the holy name and the genuine sadhus. Both are products of Maya.

What have we learned?

What can I do?

"For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to transcendental life, and those who find it are few".

Sri Krishna has said: "And of all yogis, the one with great faith who always abides in Me, thinks of Me within oneself, and renders transcendental loving service to Me—is most intimately united with Me in yoga and is the highest of all. That is My opinion." - BG 6.47

The Point is "persons who do not render devotional service ( singing the holy name ) with genuine humility and neglecting their duty unto the primeval Lord, who is the source of all living entities, and who dwells in everyone's heart will certainly fall down from their constitutional position".

The ideal yogi ( devotee ) concentrates their attention on Krishna, who is called Syamasundara, who is as beautifully colored as a monsoon rain cloud, whose lotus like face is as effulgent as the sun, whose dress is brilliant with jewels and whose body is garlanded by forest flowers. Illuminating all sides is His gorgeous luster, which is called the brahmajyoti.

How do we render service to the Supreme Lord?

"In this age of quarrel and hypocrisy, the only means of deliverance is the chanting of the Holy Names of the Lord. There is no other way. There is no other way. There is no other way then by chanting this Holy name of Krishna: hare krishna hare krishna, krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama, rama rama hare hare ". - Brhan Naradiya Puran

In this Age of Kali, the holy name of the Lord, the Hare Krishna maha-mantra, is the incarnation of Lord Krishna. Simply by chanting the holy name one associates with the Lord directly. Anyone who does this is certainly delivered.

nama vinu kali-kale nahi ara dharma

sarva-mantra-sara nama, ei shastra-marma

In this Age of Kali there is no religious principle other than the chanting of the holy name, which is the essence of all Vedic hymns. This is the purport of all scriptures.

kaler dosa-nidhe rajann asti hy eko mahan gunah

kirtanad eva krsnasya mukta-sangah param vrajet

krte yad dhyayato visnum tretayam yajato makhaih

dvapare paricaryayam kalau tad dhari-kirtanat

"My dear king, although Kali-yuga is full of faults, there is still one good quality about this age: simply by chanting the Hare Krsna maha-mantra, one can become free from material bondage and be promoted to the transcendental kingdom. Self realization that was achieved in the Satya millennium by meditation, in the Treta millennium by the performance of different sacrifices, and in the Dvapara millennium by worship of Lord Krishna can be achieved in the Age of Kali simply by chanting the holy names, Hare Krishna." - Srimad-Bhagavatam 12.3.51-2

It is said in the last verse of Srimad Bhagavatam; "I offer my respectful obeisances unto the Supreme Lord, Hari, the congregational chanting of whose holy names destroys all sinful reactions, and the offering of obeisances unto whom relieves all material suffering".

In the Visnu Purana it is said;

dhyayan krte yajan yajnais-tretayam dvapare rcayan

yadapnoti tadapnoti kalau samkirtaya kesavam

"The supreme goal which was attained in Satya-yuga by years of prolonged meditation; in Treta-yuga by performing extensive yajnas; in Dvapara-yuga by opulent and scrupulous Deity worship; in Kali-yuga the same results are easily had simply by the chanting of the holy name."

As one vibrates the holy name the inner aspect of devotion gradually comes out then we shall be able to dive deep into reality. Our hearts approval will be harmonized with that of the revealed scriptures and the living saints. - BRSDG

In conclusion, when reflecting on history we cannot blame any one society , individual or the external environment for the fall of so-called civilized societies. What we can say is that the environment was "friendly" but as long as people maintain an exploitive attitude their vision remains cloudy and the result will be that individuals and societies will not have the ability to recognize the pure motivation of souls who represent the supreme Lord and will not have enthusiasm to glorify the Supreme via his holy names. "Time and tide wait for no man" therefore all things ( Great Persons and Societies ) come and go.

Association with devoted souls and chanting the holy name, are everything.

Submitted for the pleasure of all the kind hearted devotees - Arijit Das

<CENTER>"Mix with such sadhu who are actually executing Krsna-bhajana"

</CENTER><CENTER>by Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada

</CENTER>This is the symptom of mahatma, one who has surrendered to Krsna fully. Sa mahatma sudurlabhah. So that is guru, mahatma, who knows vasudevah sarvam iti [bg.7.19]. Such mahatma is guru. Mahatmanas tu mam partha daivim prakrtim asritah, bhajanty ananya-manasah [bg.9.13]. The guru has no other business than Krsna-bhajana. So that you have to see.You have to learn. You have to appreciate with persons who are actually engaged in Krsna-bhajana. Then you'll understand. Adau sraddha tatah sadhu-sangah [Cc.Madhya23.14-15]. Sadhu means bhajate mam ananya-bhak sadhur eva sa mantavyah [bg.9.30]. He's sadhu. Who? Who has no other business than Krsna. Mix with such sadhu who are actually executing Krsna-bhajana. Adau sraddha tatah sadhu-sangah. This is the description of the sadhu. Bhajate mam Anaya-bhak sadhur eva sa mantavayah [bg.9.30]. These things are there. There is no question of being misled. But if you purposefully mislead yourself, who can check? In the beginning you may commit some mistake, but when you study Bhagavad-gita -- who is sadhu, who is mahatma, who is guru -- then why shall we make, commit mistake again? If you have done mistake -- you have gone to a rascal who is not Krsna conscious- then when you read Bhagavad-gita, you can understand. Why you are misled? Why you should be misled? If it is written on the road, "Keep to the left," why should you be misled and go to the right? Go to the left. Then you are not misled. So here it is said, mahatmanas tu mam partha daivim prakrtim asritah [bg.9.13]. A mahatma means who is always engaged in Krsna consciousness. Why do you accept somebody as mahatma who does not speak about Krsna? Then you are misleading yourself. Sa mahatma sudurlabhah. Vasudeva sarvam iti [bg.7.19]. Everything, direction, is there. Why you create your own mahatma? If you want to be cheated, who can check you? That is your fault. In Bhagavad-gita, it is clearly said,

bahunam janmanam ante

jnanavan mam prapadyate

vasudevah sarvam iti

sa mahatma sudurlabhah

[bg.7.19]

That is mahatma. Mahatmanas tu mam partha daivim prakritim asritah, bhajanty ananya-manasah [bg.9.13]. Sadhur… Api cet suduracaro bhajate mam ananya-bhak [bg.9.30]. He's mahatma. He's sadhu. We shall go to him. Why shall we go to a rascal? Simple directions. So if you are mislead, if you are cheated, whose fault it is? But if you want to be cheated, who can check? Even though somebody by mistake has gone to a rascal, the book is there. As soon as you find out, "Here is a rascal who does not know anything about Krsna, and I have come to him," reject him. That is stated in the sastra.

Gurur apy avaliptasya karyakaryam ajanantah parityago vidhiyate. (?) Even by mistake. You have come to a rascal who does does not know how to become guru, you can reject him. Why you should stick to him? Reject him. And by mistake I have come to rascal. Why shall I continue to accept him as guru? Canakya Pandita said, tyaja durjana-samsargam bhaj sadhu-samagamam: " Give up all rascals. Associate with sadhus." If you do not do that, that is your fault. Tyaja durjana-samsargam bhaj sadhu-samagamam. We have to mix with sadhu. Sadhu means who are twenty-four-hours engaged in Krsna's service: Things are there. Why you should mix with asadhu? Then how can you understand? Adau sraddha tatah sadhu-sangah [Cc. Madhya 23.14-15]. If you have got little faith, then next business is to associate with sadhus. [srila Prabhupada Room Conversation --- January 31, 1977 in Bhubaneshwar, India]