IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

Syama in Vedas

Rate this topic

Krishna in Vedas!

Vaisnava dasa in Jaiva-dharma-

There are many statements in the Vedas that refer specifically to Krsna, who appeared as the son of a gopa (cowherd)..If you study the Vedas carefully, you will see that they have used these types of indirect statements in relation to every topic. The sages of old have explained the meanings of all these statements, and we should have the highest regard for their opinions.

-Chandogya Upanishad (8.13.1)

syamac chabalam prapadye sabalac chyamam prapadye

TRANSLATION

By the worship of that Parabrahma of blackish complexion, one attains Sri Hari's divine abode, which is replete with varieties of transcendental paraphernalia and pastimes; and by reaching that variegated abode, one attains Syamasundara Sri Krsna.

- Rg Veda (1.22.164.31)

apasyam gopam anipadyama nama

TRANSLATION

I saw a cowherd boy, who is imperishable.

--

Looks like Krishna is mentioned in the Vedas very confidentionally.!

Guest guest

Pankaja dasa wrote:

- Rg Veda (1.22.164.31)

TRANSLATION

I saw a cowherd boy, who is imperishable.

Could you please check the reference? I've been trying to locate the verse, but the Rg Veda verses are usually identified by 3 numbers: book number, chapter number and verse number. I could not locate that one.

This is the actual text from Jaiva-dharma, also on-line, [reommendation section]

C H A P T E R 10

Nitya-Dharma & History

Nyayaratna: Is the name Krsna anywhere to be found in the Vedas?

Vaisnava dasa: Does the word Syama not refer to Krsna? It is said in the Rg Veda (1.22.164.31):

I saw Sri Krsna who is born in a dynasty of gopas and who is

imperishable.

There are many statements in the Vedas that refer specifically to Krsna, who appeared as the son of a gopa (cowherd).

Nyayaratna: Krsna's name is not clearly mentioned in any of these statements; this is simply your contrived interpretation.

Vaisnava dasa: If you study the Vedas carefully, you will see that they have used these types of indirect statements in relation to every topic. The sages of old have explained the meaning of all these statements, and we should have the highest regard for their opinions.