krsna

Letters to President of USA from Srila Prabhupada

Rate this topic

28th June, 1972

The President

The White House

Washington, D.C. 20025

My dear Mr. President:

Several thousand years ago a great pious emperor ruled over this planet. He was a descendant of the great Kuru dynasty and the grandson of Arjuna, the hero of the Bhagavad-gita and the personal associate of the Lord, Sri Krishna. The people lived under his domain in peace. He provided protection for the people and the cows, as well as all other living entities. He engaged many brahmanas, spiritual leaders, to educate his people and advise him in all matters. The people were just and God-conscious. They had a good understanding of the meaning and purpose of life and lived in happiness and prosperity. They respected their emperor and received kindness and benedictions from him.

You are a great president of a great nation. In this age of unrest and quarrel, your strength, as well as the strength of your nation, will be lasting if it is built upon the pillars of spiritual knowledge and Absolute Truth.

I am seventy-six years of age and am in the renounced order of life. I came to this country from India six years ago to introduce Krishna Consciousness, the scientific process of spiritual life, to the English-speaking people of the Western world. Now by the grace of Krishna I have many thousands of disciples, young American and European boys and girls. Many of them have come to me bewildered, rebellious, and addicted to all sorts of sinful activities. Like so many of the young people today, they were lost and confused. Now they are all leading a disciplined and regulated life. They follow strict principles of spiritual life, with no desire for intoxication of any kind, or illicit sex life. They are always engaged in meaningful work, serving God and their fellow man. They have become the flower of your country and all over the world they are being treated with the highest respect.

I would humbly like to request an interview with you to discuss the possibilities of my providing further service. My disciple, Atreya Rsi das (Mr. Marz Attar of Arthur Young and Company, 277 Park Avenue, New York, N. Y., phone 212-922-5957) will assist your aides to arrange a suitable time and place for a meeting.

I hope this meets you in best of health.

Your ever well-wisher,

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

Office of the President

of the United States

White House

Washington, D.C.

Personal Secretary to the President,

Dear Sir:

On your new $2 note it is stated ``In God We Trust,'' and directly beneath ``Declaration of Independence, 1776.'' On the 200th anniversary of this occasion, why not begin teaching the science of God as described in the Vedic literatures, like the Srimad-Bhagavatam, which is authorized and appreciated by all learned professors in the universities throughout the whole world. This Krishna Consciousness Movement is going on since 1966 throughout the whole world, especially in the United States of America. It is a great fortune for the American people that they ``Trust in God.'' Why shouldn't this spiritual education be given to the American people in an organized way? The whole world is going down and becoming Godless. If the American people, who trust in God, constitutionally, take this movement seriously, it will be a great service to the human society. We are prepared to cooperate in this connection if the American Government takes it very seriously.

Awaiting your reply with interest.

Yours sincerely,

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

...but the "big big" men have no time or interest to listen. It is very hard for the rich and powerful to enter the kingdom of God. But it is possible so the sadhu tries.

It is a great fortune for the American people that they ``Trust in God.'' Why shouldn't this spiritual education be given to the American people in an organized way?

Notice Srila Prabhupada is not telling the president that the government should never speak of God. In fact he says just the opposite.