IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
gHari

Dr. Stephen Hawking - "Know the Mind of God"

Rate this topic

The following fifteen minute MPEG movie short is a series of clips from the movie "A Brief History of Time". The Pope instructs Dr. Hawking that while it is okay to study the universe after the big bang, he should not study the bang itself. The short will appeal to those interested in quantum physics, black(grey) holes, time or cosmology in general.

<center>

<a href=http://canoeparts.ca/KINGDOM/Hawking2.mpg>Know the Mind of God</a>

</center>

Posted Image

Time seems to be doing a real number on poor ol' doc, along with old age, disease and... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

What's the relationship between his philosophy and his degenerative disease? Why such heavy karma? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

A number of years ago, a devotee I knew once tried to give him Prabhupada's Gita on a University Campus in Britain. He categorically refused and the expression on his face was that of a vampire who was shown the Cross. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

A number of years ago, a devotee I knew once tried to give him Prabhupada's Gita on a University Campus in Britain. He categorically refused and the expression on his face was that of a vampire who was shown the Cross.

Perhaps his greatest fear is that the truth of universal existence has already been revealed to mankind from someone other than himself.

I recall a similar exchange with Carl Sagan in Chicago. Attempted to give him a Srimad Bhagavatam (second canto if I recall correctly -- time has also affected my memory...) and he started laughing and asked if I really believed in God.

Guest guest

Perhaps his greatest fear is that the truth of universal existence has already been revealed to mankind from someone other than himself.

Perhaps he wishes to realize the truth, rather than repeat what others have realized.

-S

I recall a similar exchange with Carl Sagan in Chicago. Attempted to give him a Srimad Bhagavatam (second canto if I recall correctly -- time has also affected my memory...) and he started laughing and asked if I really believed in God.

He rejected the Lord's literary incarnation, so God came to him in the form of death. I doubt he was laughing then.

Perhaps he wishes to realize the truth, rather than repeat what others have realized.

No doubt. But that is the problem also.

It is certainly true that we all must individually realize the truth and parroting the realizations of others is no substitute. But that will not happen by insisting on the reliance of mental speculation and avoiding the absolute truth because someone has realized it first.

Plus he also sells his own books to others.

Guest guest

"I recall a similar exchange with Carl Sagan in Chicago. Attempted to give him a Srimad Bhagavatam (second canto if I recall correctly -- time has also affected my memory...) and he started laughing and asked if I really believed in God."

Hmm, that's odd. I thought Sagan actually respected Hinduism. I recall seeing a quote somewhere about how Sagan was impressed with Hinduism's timescale of the universe, about how close it was to the actual timescale of the development of the universe.

Dr. Carl Sagan on the Hindu Cosmological Timescale

by sishya

Posted on November 5, 2003 14:40 PM EST

Accessed 136 Times

Hot List Score: 57

Agelessness and timelessness are recurring concepts in Hindu thought. It seems to be popular these days to pooh-pooh such concepts, but before we do that, let us take a look at what a famous astronomer had to say about them. Many know of the astronomer Carl Sagan through his television series COSMOS and his many popular writings. A part of COSMOS was shot in India and here's what Dr. Sagan said about the Hindu cosmological timescale in an interview.

"But the main reason that we oriented this episode of COSMOS towards India is because of that wonderful aspect of Hindu cosmology which first of all gives a time-scale for the Earth and the universe -- a time-scale which is consonant with that of modern scientific cosmology. We know that the Earth is about 4.6 billion years old, and the cosmos, or at least its present incarnation, is something like 10 or 20 billion years old. The Hindu tradition has a day and night of Brahma in this range, somewhere in the region of 8.4 billion years.

As far as I know. It is the only ancient religious tradition on the Earth which talks about the right time-scale. We want to get across the concept of the right time-scale, and to show that it is not unnatural. In the West, people have the sense that what is natural is for the universe to be a few thousand years old, and that billions is indwelling, and no one can understand it. The Hindu concept is very clear. Here is a great world culture which has always talked about billions of years.

Finally, the many billion year time-scale of Hindu cosmology is not the entire history of the universe, but just the day and night of Brahma, and there is the idea of an infinite cycle of births and deaths[**] and an infinite number of universes, each with its own gods.

And this is a very grand idea. Whether it is true or not, is not yet clear. But it makes the pulse quicken, and we thought it was a good way to approach the subject."

http://www.rediff.com/news/jan/29sagan.htm

[**] infinite cycle of these timespans and thus the concept of timelessness, beginniglessness and endlessness in Hindu thought.

Guest guest

Yes it fits in with our assessment of things, so we'll give it a tick, I mean after all us scientists are the supreme authorities. So Hindhuism got one thing right.

Hawkins could have made more advancement listening to his wife than his own mind that was more than likely fed by a kundalini catastrophe, opening up the doors of delusion. If grace doesn't come to such a predicament, all you get is an ego maniac. I only ever felt sorry for him, as the scientific community puffed up his misconceptions more.

See how far their stamp of approval stretches when you tell them the vaisnavas are privvy to Gods address, his cell phone number, And His girlfriends names, in that vast cosmic soup of pretty swirling colours he calls a mystery or our origin.

We all still have to die and go to whatever we have filled our consciouness up with. All that will remain will be our FAITH, and whatever that's placed in!