IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Laziness

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Haribol,

If one has laziness in your nature how does one combat it?

When I was first introduced to Krishna Consciousness, I was so enthusiastic. Now, I find myself tired, because I know the reality: it may take many many lifetimes before one experiences higher taste.

I used to chant 16 rounds everyday. Now i find myself too lazy to chant. It is pitiful, I know.

Also, I am at university and have lost all motivation for studying. I know my studies is a service to Krsna also, so I need to know how to stay focussed. I still find Prabhupada's books and Kirtan very attractive, but I feel frustrated at not experiencing progress in chanting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Your Servant.

Guest guest

Prabhu, everyone one goes through ups and downs in their material as well as Spiritual life.

Don't be disheartned by what you are going through right now. The most important thing is that you realize that this is not right and you are trying to sort out this problem.

One of the things that will help you is, staying in contact with devotees. If you are in an university and there are no temples or devotees around. Stay in contact with devotees through lectures, bhajans, kirtan on CD/Tapes etc.

But keep listening and ofcourse reading. And I assume that you are having Prasadam daily. Also, there are sites, where you can chat with devotees live. Try these site: www.Krsna.com (help - live chat)

Continue doing this and you will feel energetic again.

laziness comes from the mode of ignorance. try to elevate your consciousness at least to the mode of passion /images/graemlins/wink.gif

"I was so enthusiastic. Now, I find myself tired, because I know the reality: it may take many many lifetimes before one experiences higher taste."

Not true!!! you WILL get the higher taste even in this lifetime if you just spend some time with the devotees, eating prasadam and doing a little service in the temple. Honest!

These are some questions answered by Swami B.V. Tripurari Maharaja which I hope you find helpful. I found them using the following search in google:

"taste chanting site:www.swami.org"

You can do that search in google without the quotes and see if you find anything helpful. Here are the questions answered by Swami Maharaja:

Q. My question is about guilt. I am so pained by feelings of guilt that I am often cursing myself. I feel useless in comparison to good devotees and these negative feelings are driving me further away from spiritual practice. I tried to examine the nature of my problem and, in gaining knowledge of what it means to be a pure devotee, I also came to understand more clearly my own dismal position.

My position is such that I have never had a taste for chanting japa, which I find tedious. When I try to chant my mind won't stop distracting me so eventually I give up. I can't ever see myself chanting sixteen rounds in this lifetime and I feel so discouraged by my inadequacies that I sometimes become depressed. Maybe I'm succumbing to narcissism, I don't know, but I don't feel capable of making spiritual advancement and this causes me to feel more and more guilty. I feel very bad that I don't love Krsna and keep thinking that Krsna is upset with me. I don't expect you to wave a magic wand but I was hoping you might help me with some insight.

A. You should not feel guilty because you have no taste for chanting Krsna nama or that you are unable to pay attention while chanting his name. Don't be discouraged either. Krsna is not upset with you. If you cannot pay attention while chanting japa on beads, try chanting in kirtana instead. As you become purified through kirtana, you will be better able to pay attention while performing the japa of Krsna nama. If it is difficult for you to perform kirtana, engage yourself in self-sacrificing activities in which the fruit of such activity is offered in the service of Krsna and his devotees. This will purify your heart and enable you to engage more readily in hearing and chanting followed by remembering (japa). Over and above this, seek out holy association and try to find an advanced Vaisnava in whom you can take shelter with full faith and be guided by.

Q. I am a businessman and daily I chant one round of the Hare Krsna maha-mantra. I chant when I am in a car or whenever I am alone. But I am not happy and fully confident that Lord Krsna will bestow his mercy on me to the extent I am expecting him to. My concern is that people do lot more to get his attention and I feel I am doing too little. What else should I do to get his attention?

A. Bhaktivinoda Thakura taught that one should begin chanting one round of nama japa (chanting on beads). As one's taste for chanting increases, one should increase to two rounds and never chant less than this. In this way one should gradually increase one's chanting, never decreasing the number of rounds one chants daily.

In all of this it is essential to chant under the guidance of an advanced devotee whom one accepts as his guru. One should regularly hear his gurudeva's teachings and follow him in all respects. Nothing will please Krsna more than this. Indeed he himself is trying to serve such devotees, and if you assist him in this, this is real service.

Guest guest

My guru maharaja said there are 4 kinds of people

1 the lazy and stupid

2 the lazy and intelligent

3 the busy and stupid

4 the busy and intelligent

he asked us which is the best and the answer is

the lazy and intelligent, because he is capable to have everything done by others. he has time to contemplate spiritual life and advance. the others are too stupid or busy to even think about spiritual life. don't worry about laziness, as long as you develop your spiritual consciousness.

Maharaja knows the answers to many an important question.

I am lazy by nature- kali yuga person -who is manda sumanda matayo, and very disturbed. That is why I need to hear from the lips of Sri Guru who can always guide me to Krsna by his words of instruction.