IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

14.27 Bhagavad-gita As It Is Translation??

Rate this topic

This are 2 verses one of 1972 Bhagavad-gita As It Is. Read them very carefully.

BgI 1972 Gita:

And I am the basis of the impersonal Brahman, which is the constitutional position of ultimate happiness, and which is immortal, imperishable and eternal.

BgII

And I am the basis of the impersonal Brahman, which is immortal, imperishable and eternal and is the <font color="red"> constitutional </font color> position of ultimate happiness.

To me these 2 verses seems to give diff meanings. I am confuced. Any help?

Guest guest

1972 verse written by Srila Prabhupada, a pure devotee, life-long vaishnava.

Second verse re-written by someone who thought they knew sanskrit better than Srila Prabhupada and/or knew better what Prabhupada really meant to say. As if!

Best to stick to the unchanged 1972 version to get what Prabhupada really wrote and avoid all confusion.

I was wrong they are the same. Look here. Not proving.. but when your wrong might as well admit it.

Same verses- 14.27

Prabhupada-

And I am the basis of the impersonal Brahman, which is the constitutional position of ultimate happiness, and which is immortal, imperishable and eternal.

BR Sridhara Maharaja-

I alone am the original mainstay of the undivided divine vitality, the inexhaustible nectar, the timeless pastimes, and the sweetness of the ambrosia of profound love divine.

BV Puri Maharaja-

I am the Mainstay of Brahman, which is the final state of everlasting happiness, and which is immortal, infallible and eternal.

They saying all same thing.

Lord Krishna says- "And I am the basis of the impersonal Brahman, which is the constitutional position of ultimate happiness, and which is immortal, imperishable and eternal.

Happiness..what is this happiness? Thats my question. I know for a fact I am not understanding this verse very clearly. I read it 50 Times. Dear advanced Vaishnava's. [anybody chanting] please explain..

Guest guest

The comment of the devotee about the change is an incorrect and unnecessary slam against the disciples of Srila Prabhupada.

In every book publishede by Srila Prabhupada, he notes the contributions of such disciples. The contributions include translating, editing, footnoting, indexing, all the activities of book publishing. His Books were maintained as a separate entity even from the ISKCON society and GBC.

The editing is authorized. Some may come up with quotes where Srila Prabhupada showed diswpleasure for a mistake in such assigned duties, but the duties were not stripped away from those whom he sincerely credits with helping him in such a monumental task. I recommend that one read, in particular, the final comments at the conclusion of His Chaitanya Charitamrta before one begins to criticize disciples who have dedicated their lives to helping Srila Prabhupada with his book publishing works.

Think of it this way. Is anyone stating that Srila Prabhupada decided to end all work of presenting his books in all languages of the world? Are the new translations in different languages after 1977 not valid because a disciple did this work? Is the French Bhagavad Gita non-bonafide because a disciple did the work (as far as I know, Srila Prabhupada did not speak French, but I may be wrong.) Are russian bhagavad gitas not valid because srila prabhupada did not write cyrillic?

Well, the arguement is just as absurd. All these comparisons that Ive seen over the years are NOT AT ALL taking away from the meaning Srila Prabhupada is conveying to the reader. If one hates a particular disciple of Srila Prabhupada because he has done this work on the direct and personal order of Srila Prabhupada, then of course, differences can be seen. But such folks are envious of Srila Prabhupada as well, who gives full credit, ALWAYS. to his editorial staff.

hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Guest guest

"In the meantime, I was induced to translate Sri Caitanya-caritamrta and publish it in an elaborate version. In his leisure time in later life, His Divine Grace Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura would simply read Sri Caitanya-caritamrta. It was his favorite book. He used to say that there would be a time when foreigners would learn the Bengali language to read the Caitanya-caritamrta. The work on this translation began about eighteen months ago. Now, by the grace of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and His Divine Grace Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakur, it is finished. In this connection I have to thank my American disciples, especially Sriman Pradyumna dasa Adhikari, Sriman Nitai dasa Adhikari, Sriman Jayadvaita dasa Brahmacari and many other boys and girls who are sincerely helping me in writing, editing and publishing all these literatures.