IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krsna

Find fault with my own damned mind and think like the vaishnava mahajan who sings..

Rate this topic

This Wicked Mind

By Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Thakur

From an English Lecture given at

The Calcutta Gaudiya Math the evening of 7 Dec 1936:

This wicked mind, which is never to be trusted, should be broomsticked every morning with such warnings as, "Be not anxious to find fault with others, or to declare thyself a true sincere, bonafide bhakta, which certainly thou art not!"

There is an adage to the effect that "para-carccakera gati nahi kona kale — a man who is habituated to criticize others conduct will never prosper!"

Let others do whatever they like, I have no concern for them. I should rather find fault with my own damned mind and think like the vaishnava mahajana [his father Thakur Bhaktivinode, from Saranagati] who sings:

amara jibana, sada pape rata

nahiko punyera lesa

para-sukhe duhkhi, sada mithya-bhasi

para-duhkha sukha-karo

"Ever engaged in vicious activity... and without the slightest trace of virtue in me. A liar as I am, always sorry at others pleasures and merry at other’s sorrows, troubles and cares."

We should always remember this song and engage our mind ceaselessly in hari-bhajan. We should not run about attacking others with dissuading policy; such conduct behooves only deceitful persons and not preachers.

Posted Image

Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati

Question: Are sin and offense the same?

Answer: No. One commits sin by disobeying the rules of so-ciety, but one commits offense by showing disrespect to the lotus feet of Vishnu and vaisnava.

Offense is a million times more dangerous than sin. Sin can be destroyed by atonement, but offense cannot be destroyed that way.

Only by taking the all-beneficial names of Sri Sri Gaura-Nityananda, the friends of the fallen, can one make offense go away.

— From Prabhupada Saraswati Thakur.

Mandala Publishing

Group. Eugene Oregon. 1997.