IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

Devotion is measured by whether one eats flesh?

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna

For sadhakas to seeing people from other religions killing animals eating their flesh, does this mean we should measure their faith or love for God. Prabhupada said many times they should stop the killing: 'Thou Shalt not kill'.

Not trying to be clever by asking this, just wondering /images/graemlins/wink.gif

NB. Prasadam /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guest guest

killing is killing no matter what

eating flesh is eating flesh whether animal or human

what difference is there killing animals or human beings

morbid curiousity or sectarianism discriminating between one living thing and another

morbid curiousity or sectarianism discriminating between one living thing and another

Thats a good 1.

But still should we measure somebodies devotion to God by what they put in their mouths. Are we not meant to respect everybody. For example say a person eating meat loves God. And a Hare Krsna is just going thru the motions. Does this look very good if the Hare Krsna says something about the meat-eater.

You can agrue about devotees are meant to be humble. But let leave that aside if you can or we can.

Guest guest

how do you figure some one eating meat loves God if God is saying THOU SHALL NOT KILL

HIGHER TASTE by prabhupada describes complicity of all involved with industrial slaughter

where is the question of love of God if this activity is present in ones life

i used to hunt prolifically and do standing kill so animal did not run to put adrenaline in meat now i haven't hunted for thirty-five years

hope God forgives me for all that killing and suffering to animals

how do you figure some one eating meat loves God if God is saying THOU SHALL NOT KILL

Your right. Because the love is given by God & His representative, its not like we just purchase it from the market place.. mm I thought of Lord Nityananda.

Guest guest

ok so God gives love but to the person who simply says God loves me i think i'll eat this flesh cause God loves me ?

i see no logic for the act of claiming oh God loves me now i can do as i please ?

Guest guest

how does us as christians get away from eating animals if jesus it says ate the lambs at last sopper

Guest guest

where is it stated Lord Jesus ate lambs at last supper I have studied extensively the Bible I think there is misconception of Lord Jesus eating fish also

even pidgeons are vegetarians, as SP would say.

not eating meat is a sign of your culture, especially if you actually understand that it is wrong to take any life.

in Vedic times not everybody was a vegetarian, but devotees almost universally were vegetarians. you can't offer meat to Lord Krishna.

Anyway, why would you want to eat such disgusting stuff if you have a choice of nice, clean vegetarian food? If you like it - you are just on a lower platform of culture. Is it possible to have advanced spiritual realization and still eat meat? Maybe... but not really very advanced. Taste of meat and true spiritual depth dont go together.

where is it stated Lord Jesus ate lambs at last supper I have studied extensively the Bible I think there is misconception of Lord Jesus eating fish also

Yes no such thing exists except after the resurrection Christ supposedly ate one bite of fish while showing His disciples that His body was "real" as they understood real.

What about the Begali's who eat fish as a standard part of their diet? What about Bhaktivinode Thakur? Bhimasena?

We must be careful in these areas. First of all why are we so concerned with measuring the devotion of another? Are we considering accepting that person as guru or are we motivated by a desire to feel superior, purer and more holy than...?

Can we even evaluate our own level of devotion?

Still I believe we need to speak out forcfully against animal slaughter it's the evaluating others devotion that we needn't be concerned with.

Even Lord Siva drank poison. Lets all follow this example. They teach us thats all. Whether Bhaktivinoda Maharaja ate fish or not {plus I heard before He was acting just like Impersonalist} so later on he manifested real devotion.

Whenever I try and tell Christians about Vegi they always come out with statements like 'oh I love steaks!' the juicy the better. This is previous to saying things like I love Jesus, Jesus is the Only way. Makes me wonder who they foolin.

Such people are fooling themselves only. Just show them how they are admitting to being servants of their tongue even at the expense of so much suffering to those other creatures of God's. And how such cruel thinking has no place in God consciousness.

Then walk away and try to find someone receptive to talk to.

Guest guest

They don't get anything except the meat . Probably it is there Karma that they have taken birth in such a place where they have to eat meat to survive.

hari bol