IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Krishna art

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I don’t understand why the paintings are drawn the way they are in this movement. I was often confused as a child when I saw an Indian person because they did not resemble the people in the drawings that I grew up seeing. I knew that these events took place in India but I noticed that the people in the paintings looked more like me, resembling white Europeans. Is there a problem with drawing Indians how they really look?

Probably has to do with the Aryan Invasion over the millenia around then, the White race was invading India during that time.

Over a couple thousand years everyone got mixed up, so Indians ended up looking like we do now.

Krnsa himself was always depicted more 'blue' than any other color.

How do Indians "really look"?

I would say a lot of Tamilians and Andhra people that you meet here are usually a bit dark... darker than say the average Punjabi person. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In the northeast there are a lot of "chinese" looking folks, too.

My point? There is a lot of variety in Indian body shape and skin tone, etc.

BTW religious art is not necessarily supposed to be "realism" in the sense that it replicates human features exactly. Rather, much emphasis is on large, elongated, vivacious eyes, stately long noses, small but full lips. The arms should be longer than normal... there are a lot of such guidelines (from silpa shastra?)

Anyway, there is variation in skin tone... Lakshmi is very fair whereas Krishna is black-bluish. I guess it depends on your taste which murthys you prefer. South Indian murthys are generally black stone, whereas a lot of north Indian murthys (not all) are marble or other stone...

As for painting, there are a lot of different traditions/styles. Can you show us a picture example of the kind of art you were looking at and had questions about?

Guest guest

"Probably has to do with the Aryan Invasion over the millenia around then, the White race was invading India during that time.

Over a couple thousand years everyone got mixed up, so Indians ended up looking like we do now."

What are you talking about? I was referring to the art that has been developed in the past few decades mainly in America by white devotees. By the way I do not care for the term Aryan in regards to Europeans. Hitler was the person historically to use the term Aryan to describe the white race borrowing the term from India to which the term had already existed before any dealings with Europeans. I have never seen a painting here of Indians with even brown skin, not to mention Krishna with black skin.

I misunderstood, can you give me an example of the kind of art you're talking about? If it's done by White devotees then that explains that.

Regarding the term 'Aryan' Hitler misappropriated it, sadly. It's derived from the Sanskrit Arya.