IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Why is Krishna black?

Rate this topic

I would like to refer you, guys, to the post of Shiva das in the section Vedic Verses. He gives a translation of Bilvamangala Thakura's Sri Krsna Karnamrta:

Verse 3.

We worship that dark bluish young boy, the cause of existence for amorous love, who causes Laksmi to become languid with the beauty of His dancing sidelong glances, and who in turn becomes languid with love when the milkmaids cast their sidelong glances at Him as He is affectionately worshiped on the bank of the Kalindi by their lust .We worship that young bluish boy, the source of the god of love, who has attained unchallenged dominion over love's sweetness

Guest guest

well....the word krsna itself...is the meaning( black & attractive)...............well i believe in darknesss....cuz..nothing is beyong darkness(krsna)......jai sri krsna ...jai shree ram ram ram...& lastly...sriman narayan narayan narayanb

Guest guest

Since He is the source of everything....if u take all the colors and mix then up....u end up with blackish blue...

Guest guest

Jai shree krishna everyone.

Krishna is known my the name: Shyamsundar.

Actually, there is no word in English for the color Krishna had. The word Shyam does not mean black. You can say its Buish, but not black.

Also, krishna is infinite. We, having these material bodies, are finite. How can we understand the infinite with a finite mind, intellience and body?

Even the demi gods and the vedas did not understand Krishna. Who are we to question? He is beyond all this.

Guest guest

Krishna is blue so that is why all infinite things come in blue like the ocean and the sky and so is Krishna he is infinite .

I love you krishna and I love blue

Guest guest

when the golden effulgence of the skin of Krishna's sweetheart reflects off the blue of his skin, krishna becomes and emerald color /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

There are two known stories about why Krishna is black. One is when Vasudev, Krishna's father, was crossing River Ganga, Ganga was extremely happy and she reached out to touck the Lord's feet and Krishna turned blue-black. Another one is that Krishna is obviously an incarnation of Vishnu, who is blue-black. Why is Vishnu black? Well, he lives in the Sea, so, the waters have turned him black. One thing is for sure. Krishna's colour shows that he is very unique and special. He is the Lord.

Guest guest

krishan askd the same question to yasomati maiya- do you remember her answer frm the song??? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

Hare Krishna everyone!

Krishna in His deity form "is Krishna" so whatever color His body appears to be, IS THE COLOR HE IS! My personal pref. is black but that is neither here nor there.

Krsna isn't black, he is the color of a moonson rain cloud, blackish blue, like a deep greyish bluish raincloud, it is far from what we call 'black'.

(The deity can be black, or white etc etc)

Guest guest

For all those who are ignorant of history and are plagued by the domineering ideology which shames India and the rest of Asia. For all those who sit on assumptions and allow others with selfish and ignorant intentions to dictate to them what is and is not. For all those who follow the disgusting notion of; the lighter the more beautiful or pure. For all those that chose to brush aside or deny the truth screaming right in front of your face... Remember and research this undeniable fact: Black Africans were the first people to live and call Asia their home. They were there before the Aryan race evolved. Many, if not most of the foundations of Hinduism as well as other asian belief systems were developed by these Untouchables/Dalits/Harijans/Dravidians/Ethiopats/Australasiatics/Negritos people or mixes of these people, a beautiful people. Over time other versions of humans developed and entered India. Some of these newcomers came in peace while many others came as conquerors sometimes mixing and sometimes murdering. The mixing went on for thousands of years. India is the worlds first melting pot, which explains why people of Indian decent are always being mistaken for other nationalities and can blend in almost anywhere. Eventually the great racist Ancient-Aryan(not to be confused with the not so racist Modern-Aryan;) race began thier agressive conquering of the melting pot. The people of the young melting pot(a majority of which were darker skin) already had a belief system (Hinduism before the Aryan corruption). Hinduism in its early stages was more of a system of Truths which derived themselves from stories and testament and not just a series of opressive dogmatic ideologies. The caste system was not a system, it was a truth and an intelligent observation that if you were born into a family of warriors, chances are your father and granfather would have raised you as a warrior. With such pressure and lineage would that not make you more suitable to be a warrior during your adult life? I'm sure you must understand where I'm going with this. Lord Krishna even stated to Arjuna that a person can find themself being better suited for a class other than the one he/she was born into, but such a birth was rare. The truth in this being that it's not very often that a child born into poverty from a family of laborers, becomes a well to do merchant. True? The Aryans, intrigued by much of what they had learned from these people, could not deny the truth and beauty of this conquered culture. So as the glory-hounds they were, they twisted the beliefs of the people, taught and documented all they learned as well as some of their own ideologies in the form of a rigid religion. A religion which places the conqueror in the highest position and follows the conquerors agenda, and isn't that the case with all religions? The timeless case of someone using the ignorance of the people and twisting the good word to fit their own selfish desires. Now, how could you twist a belief system of a people and change it into a religion which fits your agenda? The same way Europeans have been doing it for thousands of years with Christianity internationally. The same way White Americans have been doing it with politics and Black Americans. The same way the Taliban has been doing it with Islam in Afghanistan. The same way the Chinese are doing it with the Tibetans and their culture in Tibet. First of all it took a lot of time for these developements to take place. Second by slaughtering and conquering a people, dividing the nation, placing them into sub-human bondage, denying them education and the ability to read and write, denying them to teach of thier true history, forcing biased and twisted segments of the religion in power and through breeding and mixing with the conquered. By mixing they now set aside the offspring to be set up in confusion. The Aryans would give better advantages to the ones who looked less like a pure Native. By doing so they set up the caste belief to fall into more of a superiority/inferiority complex system. You now have those who look white on the top and those who look black in the lowest forms of living and all those in-between trying to be less of an in-between and looking down on those who are darker. Now everyone wants to be less dark, because the Aryans have the best standard of living. This type of ignorant thinking has been drilled into the phsyche of numerous cutures and continues to be a major cause of racial intolerance and mis-understanding around the world and not just in India(Just look at the stars in Bollywood). Now, how does this explain the skin color of Krishna? Well, now that the people are intimidated, uneducated and ignorant, you can tell them whatever you want. You don't want these darker-skinned mongrels to have the knowledge that someone looking like them can be holy, can be the manifestation of God. This could have them thinking that they are just as special as an Aryan. No, you tell them that he has dark-blue skin like the rain-clouds or whatever... (You tell them that Jesus was a white blonde-haired blue-eyed man living in the middle-east who walked in the desert for forty days and never caught a tan...) Understand? The same goes for Shiva, Kali, etc... How do I know all this without ever having stepped a foot into India? Through being of mostly Indian descent, listening to and observing many of the questionable ignorances of the older generations. Through living and travelling and living in other areas of Asia and meeting and be-friending natives who look not much different from native Africans (You can exterminate animals but you can't fully exterminate people). Through reading the holy scriptures for myself and remembering that ancient-man had written these books and that some form of bias will be hidden in the wording. Through reading more recent or modern books and research (Many of which are written by non-bias white people). Through the advancement of modern age we un-earth and bring to light many truths and lies of the past. More importantly through embracing and accepting change, opening my eyes, heart and mind and seeking a better connection with God... God bless you all!

Guest guest

Why is Krishna Black? What the hell kind of question is this?

He is Black because he is Black. He came from a Black tribe in India. Who cares anyways? He is God in the human form. Just because you people paint Jesus as White means God can't be Black? Please! If you don't like it then go and leave Krishna alone!

Krishana is black but H.E. is taking all the all the darkness from world and hence he is black from outside.

his activities are of such a sense every will be envied of him hence. To prevent him from being this he made himself as black

He is full of light and knowledge,love at all that we can not imagine

radhey rahdey

Guest guest

He is Black because he is simply Black and that's it! He was born into a Black tribe. He's not Black as in African Black but he is Black is in Dravidian Black which is a bit different. However, he is often painted as Blue only because he is considered as a avatar of Vishnu and Vishnu comes from the ocean so all of his avatars are Blue in color but Krishna in his human form is Black, his name literally means "Black and attractive".

Haven't any of you heard....BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

If you can't love a black skinned Krsna then you don't love Krsna. Krsna MEANS Black in Sanskrit. Not light blue! How much clearer can you get? Open your heart to blackness AND to Africans!!! Sacrifice your inner racist and transcend your ideas of beauty!

Now i see why Christians chose to conceal the bodily features of Christ. It would lead to hot conflict!. Look, Qr,sna was black when he came as Qr,sna, but he came many other times in different appearance, and he will come again in other forms. When he was black as Qr,sna, at the same time he was of lighter colour as Balaraama. Qr,sna means black in sanskrit, but it can also signify dark coloured, swarthy, not pitch black. Qr,sna had come as Raama, the husband of Siitaa, then Raama was blondish and with hazel eyes as an Arjan. To sum up, Qr,sna has assumed all colours, and he was always beauty personified.

Krishana is black but H.E. is taking all the all the darkness from world and hence he is black from outside.

his activities are of such a sense every will be envied of him hence. To prevent him from being this he made himself as black

He is full of light and knowledge,love at all that we can not imagine

radhey rahdey

You reminded me of physics, black means absorbing all light. All other colours are made by reflecting a portion of the white light. Black absorbs all of the white, and so reflects no part of the white. White is made of all colours, so white is the symbol of the supreme God encompassing everything. Qr,sna appears to absorb i.e. accept every particle of the supreme God, he symbolises total acceptance of God, of all manifestations of God. All manifestations of God enter him automatically. Qr,sna means Aaqar,sa,na = attraction, isn't it? So by attracting everything he rejects nothing, he reflects nothing, and non reflecting appears black. On the inside he is white, because he is everything, all colours together make white. On the outside he is black, because he attracts and accepts everything.

Erm actually Lord Krishna is dark complexion [blackish], His original form, because He says when questioned by Radha...."I am dark because I wear a black shaul, I defeated a black snake, the mascara my mother puts on Me is of dark colour and the pot I used to steal milk from was black in colour too"!!!!!!!!! Isnt that sweet!...rEMEMBER hIS LILAS IS ALWAYS OCCURRING AND RECURRING IN hIS SUPREME ABODE, EVEN BEFORE THEY TOOK PLACE ON THIS EARTHLY PLANET. tHUS THIS ANSWERS THE INEVITABLE QUESTION, "HOW CAN kRISHNA BE DARK before hE ENCATED hIS PASTIES?"....hIS PASTIMES ARE ETERNAL....[DARN IT...I realised I had the caps on all that time...doh!"

Oh and by the way....please if we vedic followers want to carry forward Lord Krishna's message, just be bold in ur quest for Him. Work in devotional servive...that is the highest of all!!!!! And also please, don't feel undermined or offended when a non-vedic person derides our religion.....just treat them nicely, ask them first "would u like to understand the Vedic religion more properly?"...if they say "no!! stick it!"...just say..."well listen, whenever u want to know ANYTHING just ask me...[if they dont want to consult a spiritual master]"....Please be nice to all......I have confronted many Muslims [in particular] and I have dispelled alot of their ignorance about Lord Krishna and Hindusim. They all respected me after that. Trust me u guys just follow Lord Krishna's instructons. Hare Krishna. - Who is my friend today let him be in peace, and who is my enemy let him also be in peace. Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Hari Om.

Guest guest

No one has seen him in person,so how can you know he is good looking,he is god for heavens sake treat him with respect..he isnt a model

Guest guest

Krishna is portrayed as "blue" because of the hypocritical misconception in India that black is not beautiful, which explains how companies like fair and lovely can make boatloads of money. It is a shame. It is hypocritical because Krishna was darkskinned, as was Shiva. Even Rama was known to be more darkskinned than his brothers. However, they are all portrayed as "blue" because dark brown is deemed to not be beautiful. A total shame.

Lord Krsna appears in all colors of the rainbow. Varaha was red. Lord Rama was green.

The spiritual sky is full of variegation. The cowherd boys, gopis, even the cows are described as being green like new grass, or red like the bimba fruit, white like milk, yellow like the champa flower, blue like the sky, and golden, pale like the full moon, even multicolored like the peacock feather. Colors in the spiritual sky are not the same as they are here in the material world. The color of one's skin means nothing other than to enhace the beauty of Lord Krsna's devotee and to give pleasure to the Lord, because everything even a devotees skin color is for the purpose of pleasing Lord Krsna. :)