IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
VNV

A question on Lord Rama

Rate this topic

The mantra is said:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Now my question is, why Rama? I know Krishna is the purest name of Godhead, but out of the many avataras of Krishna why is Rama the one in the mantra?

Guest guest

If Krishna is the "purest" name of God, then are there other names of God which are impure?

govinda jaya jaya gopala jaya jaya

radha ranama hari govinda jaya jaya

Why Rama.

In this prayer Radha-ramana means 'Husband of Radharani'.

I read in Art of Chanting that the maha-mantra means different things for different people. For some Rama means Lord Balarama or Nityananda. Which it can do. Same I would say Krishna means Lord Gauranga and Lord Ramachandra. Hare means Hara. I am not sure but because Krishna includes everybody Lord Gauranga, Lord Nityananda, Lord Balarama, Lord Ramachandra, Hare Rama means specifically Radha-ranama 'husband of Sri Radharani'. But then I don't know much about this.

Also Hare means Radha. Or I think it could be said Laksmi or Lord Balarama consort. But in maha-mantra I have no idea where Hare can be used for Lord Balarama. My entire body shakes to tell me no!

Prabhupada said Maha-Mantra includes everybody anyway. So I suppose after all this Hare Rama means just one thing Radha-ramana. Talking and not chanting good one Pankaja /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guest guest

There is no difference between Krishna and Rama. Both are the same. It is the name of GOD.

Meaning of Rama is Blissful. One who gives happiness.

Meaning of Krishna is one who attracts everyone.

Rama and Krishna are nothing but Vishnu. Considering any difference is a greatest SIN.

Hare can be Hari (Krishna/Vishnu) or Haraa (possibly Radha or another devi) if you prefer. "Hara" is a name of Lord Siva... if you really really want you could think of it that way too.

Raama means Lord Raamacandra or Balaraama if you like, or you might even think of it as Parasuraama if you like that incarnation. (Ramaa is Lakshmi- long syallable at the end, so a different name.)

I always thought the maha mantra was calling on three names of Krishna/Vishnu (Hari, Krishna and Raama) but you can think of it in other ways too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In the Brahma-samhita it is stated that the Lord is one Absolute, but He has ananta, or innumerable, forms. Advaitam acyutam anadim ananta-rupam [bs 5.33]. The Lord is the original form, but still He has multiforms. Those multiforms are manifested by Him transcendentally, according to the tastes of His multidevotees. It is understood that once Hanuman, the great devotee of Lord Ramacandra, said that he knew that Narayana, the husband of Lakshmi, and Rama, the husband of Sita, are one and the same, and that there is no difference between Lakshmi and Sita, but as for himself, he liked the form of Lord Rama. In a similar way, some devotees worship the original form of Krishna. When we say "Krishna" we refer to all forms of the Lord -- not only Krishna, but Rama, Nrisimha, Varaha, Narayana, etc. The varieties of transcendental forms exist simultaneously.

__ http://srimadbhagavatam.com/3/24/31/en1 {Purport-extract only}

"Hara" is a name of Lord Siva... if you really really want you could think of it that way too.

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I don't think Lord Shiva be too pleased if you start doing this. If you want chant Om Namah Sivaya don't mix and match like a mad-man. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

""I don't think Lord Shiva be too pleased if you start doing this. If you want chant Om Namah Sivaya don't mix and match like a mad-man.""

------------

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm just saying, it is *possible* so see it that way, but I would sincerely doubt that was what Mahaprabhu was thinking... (then again who am I to say what Mahaprabhu was thinking?)

hehe

You can't do it Vanamaliji.!

Say for instance you think Rama means say Prabhupada, how can you do that? Same way hara-hare in vocative means Radha. In this mantra thats what it means. Like KrishnA means Draupadi, I am just saying about names from what I learnt. When I chant I look at my Gurudeva picture, but I never think the mantra is 'of' of Gurudeva. Dangerous.

Guest guest

If you listen to Prabhupada's brief explanation of the Mahamantra (audio versions are extant since late 1960's) he says that KRISHNA signifies the Lord's attraction and

RAMA the Lord's enjoyment.

Thus the Supreme Godhead attracts us as Krishna and relishes us as Rama. Both are names for the One.

Listen to what Prabhupada says. Then see if you have any questions.

I am NOT suggesting that "Hare" in the mahamantra is referring to Hara (Siva)! I'm just saying that it's grammatically possible! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Doesn't mean it's at all proper! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I will go on thinking of "Hare" as Sri Hari and Raama as Raamacandra. If you don't mind. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

When one chants the names of Krsna, everyone is satisfied, especially His associates. Radha-Ramana is the attractive feature of The Supreme Lord, and Lord Siva instructs in this regard.

Lord Balarama is represented fully by his empowered servant, Sri Gurudeva, so considering Srila Prabhupada to be as good as Rama is not incorrect. However, Srila Prabhupadas teachings of Lord Chaitanyas "Acintya bheda bheda tattwa" theology must also be applied. Srila Prabhupada, in quality, is Rama, but he is different to Rama Quantitatively.

IU like the attraction and the enjoyer of the result of the attraction the best. Krsna attracts, Radha Ramana is the demonstration of the pure pleasure potency of the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

Hare Rama, ys, mahaksadasa

And fie on yall for considering Lord Ramachandra a lesser God. Sri Sri Sita Rama is the best thing to die singing, if I only had a small attraction. By my patron saint, Sri Jatayu, the Vulture King, Sri Sri Sita Rama is perfection in the consciousness of all who are ever born.