IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

By serving the spiritual master, anarthas will disappear

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna

I have a book called Art of Chanting. I will type nectar 'out of it'.

"By serving the spiritual master, anarthas will disappear and suddha-nama {pure name} will dance on the tongue. At this time, the jiva chants constantly maddened with the sweetness of pure nama, In joy the name will dance, the jiva will dance, the treasure of love of God will dance, the whole universe will dance and maya will flee"

{Harinama-cintamani}

Oh glorious holy name of krsna! Only you have the power to conquer lust, hatred and all other vices. Oh glorious holy name of Krsna! Makes me forget the dualities of material existence arising from this material body. Oh glorious holy name of Krsna! Help me to forget the material world and reveal to me the sweet splendour of the spiritual world. Oh glorious holy name of Krsna!

{Vrindavava-mahamamrta, Sataka 7.40} {extract only}

"If you cannot finish sixteen rounds, then you must not sleep on that day and you must not eat. Why don't you forget to eat? Why do you forget chanting Hare Krsna? This is negligence, aparadha, offence. Rather, you should forget your sleeping and eating and finish sixteen rounds. This is called determination." {SPT 28/1/74}

Although many different processes for developing love of Godhead have been explained so far, Srila Rupa Gosvami now gives us a general description of how one can best achieve such a high position. The beginning of ecstatic love of Godhead is basically faith. There are many societies and associations of pure devotees, and if someone with just a little faith begins to associate with such societies, his advancement to pure devotional service is rapid. The influence of a pure devotee is such that if someone comes to associate with him with a little faith, one gets the chance of hearing about the Lord from authoritative scriptures like Bhagavad-gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam. Thus, by the mercy of the Lord, who is situated in everyone's heart, one gradually develops his faith in the descriptions of such authoritative scriptures. This is the first stage of association with pure devotees. In the second stage, after one becomes a little advanced and mature, he automatically offers to follow the principles of devotional service under the guidance of the pure devotee and accepts him as the spiritual master. In the next stage, under the guidance of the spiritual master, the devotee executes regulative devotional service, and as a result of such activities, he becomes freed from all unwanted occupations. When he is freed from unwanted occupations, his faith becomes steadily fixed, and he develops a transcendental taste for devotional service, then attachment, then ecstasies, and in the last stage there is pure love of Godhead. These are the different stages of the development of pure love.

Only the most fortunate persons can achieve such success in life. Those who are simply academic students of the Vedic scriptures cannot appreciate how such a development takes place. In the Narada-pancaratra Lord Siva therefore tells Parvati, "My dear supreme goddess, you may know from me that any person who has developed the ecstasy of love for the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and who is always merged in transcendental bliss on account of this love, cannot even perceive the material distress or happiness coming from the body or mind."

The affection and the dealings of love that are different branches of the original tree of love precede many varieties of affectionate manifestations that will not be discussed here. These different manifestations have been described by Sanatana Gosvami in his Bhagavatamrta. Although the subject of such affections and dealings of love is very confidential, Sanatana Gosvami has described them very explicitly.

__ http://nectarofdevotion.com/19/en2 {extract}