IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

I don't under Purport to maha-mantra.....

Rate this topic

Purport to Maha-Mantra {extract only}

This chanting of Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare\/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare is directly enacted from the spiritual platform, surpassing all lower states of consciousness--namely sensual, mental and intellectual. <font color="#666666"> There is no need of understanding the language of the mantra, nor is there any need of mental speculation nor any intellectual adjustment for chanting this maha-mantra. </font color> It springs automatically from the spiritual platform, and as such, anyone can take part in this transcendental sound vibration, without any previous qualification, and dance in ecstasy.

I don't understand the Grey part. I asked this question before, my understanding is that:

#1 That theres no need to understand the Sanskrit language of the Mantra.

#2 That you shouldn't speculate on what the Mantra means.

#3 And lastly intellectual adjustment means {i have no idea}

I am lost. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

#2 That you shouldn't speculate on what the Mantra means.

--- Prabhupada says there is no NEED to know what it means, not that we shouldn't ever find out!!

We know the literal meaning of the words. No need to speculate.

Hare = hari (name of the Lord) meaning theif (as in theif of love or of mind)

Krishna = the Lord (meaning dark and attractive)

Rama = the Lord (meaning fully pleasing)

BUT the point here was that the SOUND of the words is the important, transcendant aspect, and that simply by chanting the Lord's names, without even knowing they are the Lord's names, one will benefit.

-----

You got your storys mixed up. Its Valmiki Maharaja who was given the Mantra Mara by Narada Muni. The latter wrote Ramayana of-cource.!

Even Sriman George Harrison knows about it ha!

Prabhupäda: So in your next record, you can give this. (laughter)

George Harrison: [break] ...this little girl, he had a baby girl and was trying to think of a name, so I told him to call it Dhara, you know? ’Cause from Rädhä—rädhärädhärädhä—it becomes dhärä. So he called his girl that name.

Jayatértha: There’s a story of Valmiki, you know that story?

Gurudäsa: Maramaramaramaramaramara.

Jayatértha: Valmiki was a murderer, or a dacoit, thief. So he was met by Närada Muni, I think.

Prabhupäda: Yes, Valmiki.

Jayatértha: And he was advised by Närada Muni to please chant the holy name of the Lord and give up this thievery. So he wouldn’t. So instead Närada Muni said, “You chant mara.” Mara means death. So he agreed.

Prabhupäda: Maramara, räma.

Jayatértha: Later on, this Valmiki, he wrote the Rämäyaëa after having chanting räma, mara, he became purified.

Hari-çauri: Transcendental trickery.

Jayatértha: All glories to Çréla Prabhupäda.

Prabhupäda: Jaya. (end)

Guest guest

The maha-mantra is best understood not as another mechanical mantra whose perfection lies in chanting with technical precision. Actually, each word is addressing the most personal aspect of God by name and together they express the most intimate relationship of Sri Sri Radha-Krsna.

Using the maha-mantra as the means to enter into that relationship, in Goloka Vrndavana, by chanting with heartfelt emotion solely for pure devotional service is what Srila Prabhupada of course recommends. Although everyone will somehow benefit from the Holy Names, approaching Them with the best motivation, then eagerly accepting His Divine Grace when bestowed, will accrue the greatest benefit.

Liberation and possibly material gain is easily obtained for those who wish to use the maha-mantra in that way. However, it's called the maha-mantra because it is the very best, specifically recommended for this Age of Kali and surcharged by Mahaprabhu Himself to deliver full Love of God. Why aim for anything less?