IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
karmi

Harinama Initiation

Rate this topic

How do I approach any Guru Maharaja with request for harinama initiation? Am I worthy of receiving one? What makes me qualified? Maybe he just laughs at me and sends me away? Can he feel in his heart that I'm good enough? Can you please explain?

you have to find a Gurudev that is qualified and that inspire you. maybe you already have some ideas. but be sure your Gurudev is qualified, bona fide...

you have different standard for Hainama initiation. in Iskcon you take vows of chanting 16 rounds and follow 4 regs. in Gaudiya math it's more a encouragment, 16 rounds is recommended and 4 regs also. but it is more an encouragment, so maybe you are not perfect but still you can ask for initiation... let us know if you want more info...

Guest guest

we can only pray to Lord Caitanya for further inspiration for chanting Krsna nama.

Lacking Taste

Guest guest

gaudiya math the 4 regs are only recommended? How does that work?

Is it ok to be intoxicated, have sex, eat meat, or gamble?

That seems strange that the 4 regs are only recommended, not required.

In GM harinama is not considered diksa (initiation), brahmin is, and therefore # of rounds and reg's are not stressed as much as ISKCON. It could be argued that ISKCON should or Prabhupada did teach that too, but it is not a well developed idea in ISKCON. My opinion is that Prabhupada required the 4 regs at giving of harinama because he wanted westerners to become civilized before receiving diksa - 2nd - brahmin initiation.

I'm a diksa disciple of Srila Narayana Maharaja. The rules of no intoxication, no gambling and no meat and eggs must be followed. Anyway as sexual desire is very difficult to overcome, you have to avoid casual sex, but you don't vow to only have sex for procreation. 16 rounds is highly recommended and we see by experience that once initiated, everything become easier. i've experieced that personally. i was chanting 4 rounds andthe week after, 16, now i chant 25 or 32. sex drive is really regulated too, at least for me.

For Diksa, second initiation, you must chant at least 16 roudns and follow the 4 regs. concerning sex, no illicit sex, from my understanding, means no sex for Brahmacaris, and no sex outside of marriage for Grhstas. of course it is better to have no sex other that for procreation, and we all know it. but we still have some work to do. This ashram is meant to regulate your desires.

Also you are encouraged to chant more than 16 rounds. Some can chant 64 rounds.

Guest guest

for the clarification. It seems that ISKCON followed the same thing in the very beginning, initiation fairly quick, not requiring 1 year of chanting 16 rounds etc...

Am I right about that?

Guest guest

I kept thinking of Haridas initiating the prostitute for some reason.

There she was. She has approached him with no good motive. No trial or cleaning up period. As a prostitute had she been following the four regs as a prequisite for receiving the name?

I see the value in the 4 regs. myself. I am not trying to bring ant standard into question. I just found it interesting and wonder if receiving Krsna nama is dependent on them or not?

Guest guest

How do you know you want to be his (or anyone's) disciple?

What do you expect from a teacher? What are the demands on a disciple?

Check your motives little somewhat. Are you just trying for some form of social acceptance. Is it like a social fashion, "guru's are just sooo in this year."

Have you even prayed once to the Supreme Lord to ask Him for direction?

I am not trying to discourage you. I just hate to see people "accepting" a guru for some reason unknown even to thenselves just to throw it all away in a couple of months, or not living upm to the word disciple spend the rest of their lives feeling guilty about making a promise they can't fulfill.

yeah, of course, try to be a little more familiar with the Guru. you can read his lectures on the web first.

As a disciple or Narayana Maharaja, i will tell you how to be a little more familiar with Him. please people don't see this as fanatic preaching or frenetic disciple recrutment.

1st you have a great site called www.purebhakti.com

there you have lectures, and the tours of Gurudev and His preachers, like Syamarani, Aranya Maharaj...and so on.

if you wanna discuss with me about that, feel free to write at silvertouch108@.fr

Guest guest

with Narayana Maharaja. I go to Purebhakti.com, have seen hi speak, get regular e-mails with lectures of his. I saw him speak and cried when I saw him. I just knew I wanted him to be my spiritual guide.

My question is more of is there someone at the temple you can ask to be recommended for initiation, or what?

Please do not insult me by insinuating that I am trying to bea fanatic or "so this year" by getting a guru.

To advance in spiritual life, you need to take shelter of a pure vaisnava, and I believe Narayana maharaja is just that.

Haribol !!

oh i was not insinuating anything, i was telling people not to start a verbal fight because it could have sound like i was preaching "my Guru is the best, you should take initiation by Him..." because Srila Gurudev is quite controversed in KC circles sometimes.

Also as i'm french i don't express myself very clearly sometimes. i think for 1st inititation you don't really need recommendation. i didn't need, so next time you are approaching Him just ask and i think it'll be fine. if you have some of His sannaysis coming don't hesitate to get near Them also. Some are allowed to give Harinama initiation in His name. one of my friend took initiation like by the intermediary (?) of Bon Mhj.

feel free to write me at any time !

lots of love.

Sunanda

Guest guest

It was more directed at the guest before you, who made the comment that a guru is a trendy thing or something.

Thank you for the info though. I will have to go up to their temple more often, it is like an hour away for me, so it is not too easy to get to.

Thanks again

Guest guest

[...]

So you have to learn from guru by three processes. What is that? First process is you must surrender. Tasmäd guruà prapadyeta [sB 11.3.21]. Surrender. You have to find out such an exalted person where you can willingly surrender, “Yes.” Therefore it is enjoined in the sästras, before making a guru, try to study him, whether you can surrender there. Don’t accept any guru all of a sudden as fanatic. No, don’t do that. That is the injunction. And guru also must study the disciple who wants to become a disciple; must study him, whether he’s fit for becoming a disciple. This is the way of making relationship between guru and disciple. Everything is there provided we take them seriously. [...]