IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

How to counteract iron deficiencies?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The two biggest things to look out for in the vegetarian diet are protein and iron. I do well with protein, but I think iron is a problem of mine. I'm open to taking supplements if they are indeed of vegetarian origin. Anyone know what to do?

Guest guest

Good sources of iron for vegetarians include wholegrain cereals/flours, leafy green vegetables (eg. collards, kale, broccoli and other dark greens), blackstrap molasses, legumes (eg. lentils, red beans), apricots and figs.

about iron supplements. I am vegetarian too and the only supplement i take is a multi-vitamin tablet. I make sure my meals are varied : whole grains, salads, fruits, cereals, vegetables (example spinach: good source of iron!) and some dairy products.

Guest guest

Alfalfa is high in iron. Also beetroots. Try to include that in your diet too.

Iron in the Vegan Diet

by Reed Mangels, Ph.D., R.D.

--

Help yourself and others.

Click here for ways to support this website and The Vegetarian Resource Group.

Topics in this article:

Summary

Heme vs. Non-heme Iron

Iron Status in Vegans

Table 1: Iron Content of Selected Vegan Foods

Table 2: Comparison of Iron Sources

Table 3: Sample Menus Providing More Than 15 mg of Iron

References on Iron

Excerpted from the book Simply Vegan: Quick Vegetarian Meals by Debra Wasserman. Nutrition section by Reed Mangels Ph.D., R.D. (ISBN 0-931411-20-3)

--

Summary

Dried beans and dark leafy green vegetables are especially good sources of iron, better on a per calorie basis than meat. Iron absorption is increased markedly by eating foods containing vitamin C along with foods containing iron. Vegetarians do not have a higher incidence of iron deficiency than do meat eaters.

Heme vs. Non-heme Iron

Iron is an essential nutrient because it is a central part of hemoglobin which carries oxygen in the blood. Iron deficiency anemia is a worldwide health problem which is especially common in young women and in children.

Iron is found in food in two forms, heme and non-heme iron. Heme iron, which makes up 40 percent of the iron in meat, poultry, and fish is well absorbed. Non-heme iron, 60 percent of the iron in animal tissue and all the iron in plants (fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts) is less well absorbed. Some might expect that since the vegan diet contains a form of iron which is not that well absorbed, vegans might be prone to developing iron deficiency anemia. However, recent surveys of vegans and vegetarians [1, 2, 3] have shown that iron deficiency anemia is no more common among vegetarians than among the general population.

Iron Status in Vegans

The reason for the satisfactory iron status of many vegans may be that commonly eaten foods are high in iron, as Table 1 shows. In fact, if the amount of iron in these foods is expressed as milligrams of iron per 100 calories, many foods eaten by vegans are superior to animal-derived foods. This concept is illustrated in Table 2. For example, you would have to eat 340 calories of sirloin steak to get the same amount of iron as found in 100 calories of spinach.

Another reason for the satisfactory iron status of vegans is that vegan diets are high in vitamin C. Vitamin C acts to markedly increase absorption of non-heme iron. Adding a vitamin C source to a meal increases non-heme iron absorption up to six-fold which makes the absorption of non-heme iron as good or better than that of heme iron [4].

Fortunately, many vegetables, such as broccoli and bok choy, which are high in iron are also high in vitamin C so that the iron in these foods is very well absorbed. Commonly eaten combinations, such as beans and tomato sauce or stir-fried tofu and broccoli, also result in generous levels of iron absorption.

It is easy to obtain plenty of iron on a vegan diet. Table 3 shows several menus which would meet the RDA [5] of 15 milligrams of iron per day for an adult woman. Men and post-menopausal women need about one-third less iron, 10 milligrams daily.

Both calcium and tannins (found in tea and coffee) reduce iron absorption. Tea, coffee, and calcium supplements should be used several hours before a meal which is high in iron [6].

--

References

1. Anderson BM, Gibson RS, Sabry JH: The iron and zinc status of long-term vegetarian women. Am J Clin Nutr 1981; 34: 1042-1048.

2. Latta D and Liebman M: Iron and zinc status of vegetarian and non-vegetarian males. Nutr Rep Int 1984; 30: 141-149.

3. Helman AD and Darnton-Hill I: Vitamin and iron status in new vegetarians. Am J Clin Nutr 1987; 45: 785-789.

4. Hallberg L: Bioavailability of dietary iron in man. Ann Rev Nutr 1981; 1: 123-147.

5. Food and Nutrition Board, National Research Council: Recommended Dietary Allowances, 10th ed. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1989.

6. Gleerup A, Rossander Hulthen L, Gramatkovski E, et al. Iron absorption from the whole diet: comparison of the effect of two different distributions of daily calcium intake. Am J Clin Nutr 1995; 61: 97-104.

--

Table 1: Iron Content of Selected Vegan Foods

FOOD AMOUNT IRON (mg)

Soybeans, cooked 1 cup 8.8

Blackstrap molasses 2 Tbsp 7.0

Lentils, cooked 1 cup 6.6

Tofu 4 oz 0.7-6.6

Quinoa, cooked 1 cup 6.3

Kidney beans, cooked 1 cup 5.2

Chickpeas, cooked 1 cup 4.7

Lima beans, cooked 1 cup 4.5

Pinto beans, cooked 1 cup 4.5

Veggie burger,

commercial 1 patty 1.1-4.5

Black-eyed peas, cooked 1 cup 4.3

Swiss chard, cooked 1 cup 4.0

Tempeh 1 cup 3.8

Black beans, cooked 1 cup 3.6

Bagel, enriched 3 oz 3.2

Turnip greens, cooked 1 cup 3.2

Prune juice 8 oz 3.0

Spinach, cooked 1 cup 2.9

Beet greens, cooked 1 cup 2.7

Tahini 2 Tbsp 2.6

Raisins 1/2 cup 2.2

Cashews 1/4 cup 2.0

Figs, dried 5 medium 2.0

Seitan 4 oz 2.0

Bok choy, cooked 1 cup 1.8

Bulgur, cooked 1 cup 1.7

Apricots, dried 10 halves 1.6

Potato 1 large 1.4

Soy yogurt 6 oz 1.4

Tomato juice 8 oz 1.4

Veggie hot dog 1 hot dog 1.4

Almonds 1/4 cup 1.3

Peas, cooked 1 cup 1.3

Green beans, cooked 1 cup 1.2

Kale, cooked 1 cup 1.2

Sesame seeds 2 Tbsp 1.2

Sunflower seeds 1/4 cup 1.2

Broccoli, cooked 1 cup 1.1

Brussels sprouts,cooked 1 cup 1.1

Millet, cooked 1 cup 1.0

Prunes 5 medium 1.0

Watermelon 1/8 medium 1.0

Sources: USDA Nutrient Data Base for Standard Reference, Release 12, 1998. Manufacturer's information.

The RDA for iron is 10 mg/day for adult men and for post-menopausal women and 15 mg/day for pre-menopausal women.

--

Table 2: Comparison of Iron Sources

FOOD IRON (mg/100 calories)

Spinach, cooked 5.4

Collard greens, cooked 3.1

Lentils, cooked 2.9

Broccoli, cooked 2.1

Chickpeas, cooked 1.7

Sirloin steak,choice,broiled 1.6

Figs, dried 0.8

Hamburger, lean, broiled 0.8

Chicken, roasted, no skin 0.6

Flounder, baked 0.3

Pork Chop, pan fried 0.2

Milk, skim 0.1

Note that the top iron sources are vegan.

--

Table 3: Sample Menus Providing More Than 15 milligrams of Iron

IRON (mg)

Breakfast:

1 serving Oatmeal Plus (p. 23) 3.8

Lunch:

1 serving Tempeh/Rice Pocket

Sandwich (p. 94) 4.7

10 Dried Apricots 1.6

Dinner:

1 serving Black-Eyed Peas

and Collards (p. 76) 2.1

1 serving Corn Bread (p. 21) 2.6

1 slice Watermelon 1.0

----

TOTAL 15.8

Breakfast:

Cereal with 8 ounces

of Soymilk 1.5

Lunch:

Kidney Bean Chili

(1 cup kidney beans) 5.2

1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds 1.2

1/4 cup raisins 1.1

Dinner:

4 ounces Seitan stir-fried with 4.0

1 cup Bok Choy 1.8

and sprinkled with

2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds 1.2

----

TOTAL 16.0

Additional foods should be added to these menus to provide adequate calories and to meet additional nutritional requirements.

And to enhance iron absoption, we best make sure we get enough vitamin C as well. I am allergic to citrus fruits (so i have to consume other fruits)... but citrus fruits are one of the best sources of Vit C for those not allergic to them.

Guest guest

I use FLORADIX FLORAVITAL IRON + HERBS LIQUID EXTRACT FORMULA 8.5 FL OZ tHE FIRST TIME i EVER USED IT i HAD 1/2 A SHOT AND SPEED WALKED 8 MILES IN SOMETHING LIKE AN HOUR AND A HALF! i GOT SILVER DOLLAR SIZE BLISTERS OTHERWISE i COULD HAVE KEPT GOING.

Guest guest

It is called MARMITE, a British product. I am told Brits smear it on toast. It is brown & tar-like & sometimes it smells kinda like thrush, an infection in between a horses hoof & its frog...stinky. Then I know the body isn't needing it but when it smells good to me I take a spoonful a day for a few days.