IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

ooops...here it is

Rate this topic

The Moon and the Sun...

!

--

Srila Prabhupada has the strength to have complete faith in Krishna, in his spiritual master and in the Vedas. That is his unique qualification.* Unfortunately most so-called devotees of Krishna today prefer to put their faith in the theories of modern science, rejecting the Vedic version. Such devotees have no faith and will never be able to understand the real imports of the Vedic knowledge as this requires absolute faith in the Lord and the bona fide spiritual master.

read the whole article at http://www.krishna.org/

* Notice the "so-called devotees." I guess if you don't believe there is only one sun in the entire universe and accept the position of the Moon just the way it is stated in the Bhagavatam one can't be a devotee of Krsna. Maybe a "so-called" devotee but that's the limit. Certainly not a real one.

This is the danger. Some have also felt this way and left chanting altogether. Same coin,flip side.

I was just wondering how others saw this. Not so much the specific issues of cosmology but the need to have blind faith in general. Which is the crux of the issue Madhuvisa was speaking to.

I remember when devotees were attacking others (myself included) because we refused to accept the statements that the EARTH WAS FLAT. Now they have revised it to an expanded version of Bhu-mandala or something.

I see some danger in all this. now some Christians are attacking other's faith because they believe in an old earth while others say it is only 6-10 thousand yers old.

Are Hare Krsna's developing their own versions of the same mentality?

Based on reading the internet I would say definetly yes. I gave up on Christianity as a religion because they argue over the smallest things like wether you go to church on Saturday or Sunday determines wether you going to spend eternity in heaven or an eternity in hell. Now I see the same thing happening in Prabhupada's movement. My attitude is to avoid the whole thing and if anyone is interested I will tell people that I read these amazing books by Srila Prabhupada and if they are interested read them and chant the names of the Lord even if you want to use a different name of God than Krsna and have a good day. That is as far into the guru business I ever want to get.

The earth is flat? Really? everytime I walk I trip over all

the bumps.

Cause it is flat. But round also from space at least. How could a flat surface orbit the Sun.? I think its that simple. Its flat but also...round.

I still say, there is no point in taking on science. Science is right in it's own honest way, we "do not have the capacity" to interpret the Vedas scientifically though truths are hidden(for example the truth of cycles of creation).

The aim of the scriptures is learning about the absolute truth by knowing which all other knowledge is irrelevant.

We should contemplate within which is easier with the scriptures.

Guest guest

Forget about "knowing" absolute truths and becoming a devotee as such. Instead, see yourself as servant of all. Try to recognize devotion in others and encourage that, without considering your own position at all.

Concentrate only on your personal inner relationship with God as Lord Caitanya and Nityananda Prabhu and/or Sri Sri Radha-Krsna, whichever you feel most comfortable with.

Accept an inability to follow religiously as necessary for developing a humble attitude, therby recognizing complete dependence on His Divine Grace in every aspect of life. Pray to Jesus for his help also.

Some felt the need to measure others faith by using the yardstick of their own understanding of what was in the fifth canto.

The stanard answer when questions of orbiting aircraft and ships disappearing over the horizen and satelittle mapping of the globe plus just the common pictures from space proving the earth was a globe was, "The demi-gods are fooling the scientists."

Honestly the late 70's were rather strange.

Cause it is flat. But round also from space at least. How could a flat surface orbit the Sun.?

No they would say the Sun orbits the Earth and the Earth is not moving.

Don't try to make sense of it by asking questions like "What about the people on the other side? Do they live upside down?" That wouldn"t be considered because the "demi-gods are tricking people." Or "There is nobody on the other side."

We are free to fix the frame of reference on whatever we feel like. There is nothing wrong in fixing the frame of reference on Earth. If we do that, then Earth is at rest and Sun is oribiting Earth.

Guest guest

I thought the Vedas taught the helicoentric, round Earth theory in their cosmology. Am I mistaken in that?

If the Vedas were so ancient, and many of the puranas about the vimanas are to be believed, it should have been known that the Earth is round and it orbits the sun.

But Aryabhatta made that discovery. Well, the round Earth theory, and that it rotates on its axis, creating day/night cycles.

What value is Vedic cosmology really? And what value are the people who proclaim this ignorance of the Vedic cosmology?

Avinash, There position was the Earth was flat and the one and only sun in the universe in it's rotation around the entire universe rotated around that flat earth.

I don't think you would agree to that.

And Guest I am not sure of anything about vedic or modern western cosmology. Prabhupada made numerous statements which included the Earth was round.

It was a misunderstand on the part of the disciples over some portions of the Bhgavata Purana. I think it has been long since cleared up.

I was talking about the theory that Sun oributs Earth. Modern Science does not say that it is wrong. As per Physics all the frames of reference are equally valid and therefore we can fix the frame of reference on Earth if we want.

Avinash, There position was the Earth was flat

If their meaning of the word "Earth" is what we mean by this word as of now, then I do not agree with them at all. But if by Earth they mean something like Bhu mandala, then that is a different matter.

and only sun in the universe in it's rotation around the entire universe rotated around that flat earth.

What do they mean by saying that there is only one sun? Are they saying that there is only one shource that can give light? If so, then I do not agree with them at all.

Guest guest

I was hearing to one of the Bhagavata lectures by Dr Prabhanjanacharya (Dvaita scholar). He mentioned that,it is mentioned as Bho Ghoola.

"GHOOLA" which means Round (not flat).