IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Vishnupriya

How many hours?

Rate this topic

person is different. basically as much as required so you aren't walking around like a zombie. but not to make it a source of sense gratification.

gradually reduce if you can as you can. Best not to sleep during brahma-muhurta though.

srimad gurorastakam etad ucchair

brahme muhurtte pathati prayatnat

yas tena vrindavana natha saksat

sevaiva labhya januso 'nta eva

One who, during the Brahma-muhurtta with meticulous regularity, wholeheartedly sings these eight prayers to the Divine Master, attains, upon leaving the body in his spiritual perfection, the qualification to engage in the direct service of the Lord of Vrindavan.

Prabhuapada:[snip] ...You are all chanting sixteen rounds? No? (laughs)

Çarädéyä: I did at first but then I slipped back.

Prabhupäda: Is it very difficult?

Mälaté: No, we do not know how yet to regulate our time too well. Some days we chant sixteen rounds and then the next day, I don’t know what happens. I think we sleep too much, I mean I think I sleep too much.

Prabhupäda: How many hours you are sleeping?

Mälaté: About six to eight.

Prabhupäda: That is not much. Sixteen... It takes only two hours, sixteen rounds. Huh? Two hours, or more than that?

Mälaté: Two hours is all it takes to do the rounds.

Prabhupäda: So you have to spend two hours for Kåñëa out of twenty-four. (walks for awhile and chants japa) Yes?

Devotee (1): Is there something wrong with sleeping eight hours?

Prabhupäda: Sleeping and eating, this is the material disease. Sleeping, eating, mating... So they should be reduced as much as possible.

Devotee (1): If you’re still tired...

Prabhupäda: No, you can sleep till you are refreshed.

Somebody’s refreshed by sleeping four hours. Somebody is refreshed by sleeping ten hours.

Mälaté: But we should not sleep when we have, in place of our devotional service.

Prabhupäda: No, of course not. Devotional service is first.

Mälaté: So if we miss some sleep we should do it.

Prabhupäda: We should forego sleeping even. The real regulated life is that if sixteen rounds is not completed, then we have to forego sleeping. You should take out hours from sleeping. We should be... The main thing is that we should always be careful that... We are going, we have taken up a very responsible task, Kåñëa consciousness. ...

Fastest I could ever do the rounds was over 3 hours. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was usually fine attending the morning program, but often found myself nodding out during morning japa. And I always hated the pressure to do the rounds within a time limit… It's hard to run thru them rounds and not sound mechanical.