IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

Books by previous acarya's

Rate this topic

Paramahaàsa: Çréla Prabhupäda, I remember once I heard a tape where you told us that we should not try to read the books of previous äcäryas.

Prabhupäda: Hmm?

Amogha: That we should not try to read Bhaktivinoda’s books or earlier books of other, all äcäryas. So I was just wondering...

Prabhupäda: I never said that.

Amogha: You didn’t say that? Oh.

Prabhupäda: How is that?

Amogha: I thought you said that we should not read the previous äcäryas’ books.

Prabhupäda: No, you should read.

Amogha: We should.

Prabhupäda: It is misunderstanding.

Paramahaàsa: I think maybe he was thinking that there was some things about some of the Gauòéya Matha books.

Prabhupäda: Maybe.

Paramahaàsa: And sometimes you said that better not to..., better to read your books.

Amogha: When the devotees went to India this year, they said that Acyutänanda Swami very..., chastised them that “You should never... If I catch any of you buying Bhaktisiddhänta’s books from Gauòéya Maöha then I will take it away,” something like this.

Paramahaàsa: Yeah, that was, the reason was because of, he didn’t want the devotees going to Gauòéya Maöha. But there’s nothing wrong with the idea of studying the previous äcäryas’ books.

Prabhupäda: No. Who said? That is wrong. We are following previous äcäryas. I never said that.

Paramahaàsa: All of your commentaries are coming from the previous äcäryas.

Prabhupäda: Yes.

Jayadharma: But that wouldn’t mean that we should keep all the previous äcäryas’ books and only read them.

Prabhupäda: That is already there. You first of all assimilate what you have got. You simply pile up books and do not read—what is the use?

Jayadharma: First of all we must read all your books.

Prabhupäda: Yes.

Paramahaàsa: Practically speaking, Srila Prabhupäda, you are giving us the essence of all the previous äcäryas’ books in your books.

I am thinking about putting Gita on my site, by 3 Uttama-adikari Vaishnavas:

Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada

Bhakti Rakshak Sridhara Maharaja

Bhakti Vaibhava Puri Maharaja

Its like why not?

Its not for comparison, but why not read them?

Each devotee has his own realisations, I read that Prabhupada said it, so I feel this is a good thread, but also we should read careful, not jump to confidential subjects, but thats personal, so whatver Gita somebody prefers, Purports or not, they still have potency.

The previous acaryas have passed the test, they have attained the goal we seek and they show the way. Who else you gonna learn from?

How can a bona-fide acarya upsurp the authority of his acaryas? If he does so, the 'reality' is immediately lost along with his authorization.

The Srimad-Bhagavatam is filled with examples of different authorities… and they have a hierarchy and structure just like anything else.

How are you gonna deny a suprerior except on the authority of a higher superior? Why does this stuff even come up?

From the converstaion we see it arose from a misunderstanding which Prabhupada cleared up. But yet it persists today. It is also the source of some big big aparadha's. Very detrimental to the devotional creeper of the Hare Krsna movement world wide.

Now for myself i am quite content reading reading primarily Prabhupada's books 95%. I have no need trying to hear the intricaies of higher and more intimate rasa from where I am but that doesn't mean that is true for everyone. For others Krsna is may be revealing Himself to them in that way. It is none of my business.

I tried reading Govinda-lilamrta once and found myself shocked and bewildered upon reading Radha and Krsna's awakening pastimes. I couldn't go on. The few verses from that work that are in CC are enough for me.

We have to recognize our own level or we are bound for trouble. The problem isn't with the book, it's with me and my own immaturity. My path is in that direction however. Jaiva Dharma however is a different story. I read it once and plan to read it again and yet again. I read the translation by Narayana Maharaja and his disciples.

But what of others who want more awe and reverance in their rasa? Must they read this work(Govinda-lilamrta) or would it be considered an opposing mood? They might be purified totally but just have another taste. That's their business.

I hope we can grow into a mood that allows for respecting others choices and not feeling needlessly threatened by them.

What would we call that mood? Audarya?

I'm not sure how your title relates so much to your content.

"But yet it persists today. It is also the source of some big big aparadha's."

I agree. It's hard to cheat fellow devotees who witnessed the truth of Prabhupada. Leaders tend to think themselves qualified. Are you gonna advertise you aren't qualified? But I don't understand the show of it all after so much failure and exposure to your peers… Seems a great offense to Krsna.

"I have no need trying to hear the intricaies of higher and more intimate rasa from where I am but that doesn't mean that is true for everyone."

Well, I tend to agree with you here. I think just about all of us can speak authoritatively on choosing Krsna. Beyond that? Well, how many years to liberation? Seems you have to see what you're describing. You're not liberated, you can't describe the existential psychology of that… what to speak of the finer circumstantial particulars.

But then we only know about ourselves and a few others for sure. What we 'hear' or assume someone else may know outside our direct experience is more problamtic.

"I tried reading Govinda-lilamrta once and found myself shocked and bewildered upon reading Radha and Krsna's awakening pastimes. I couldn't go on. The few verses from that work that are in CC are enough for me."

Pretty much my position at the moment. If we can't determine whether one is a charlatan or not, best not assume anything… give the benefit of the doubt until it exceeds your limitations.

I also think you cannot jump ahead. I learned that from Prabhupada.

I don't know what you're saying about reading other people's books or your reaction to them.

"But what of others who want more awe and reverance in their rasa?"

Awe and reverence is the first transcendental primary relationship. Are you asking if conditioned souls should be positioned in awe and reverence or higher liberated souls seeking lower tastes?

"Must they read this work(Govinda-lilamrta)… ?"

I'm not familiar with the book. I'm only familiar with Prabhupada's volumes.

"I hope we can grow into a mood that allows for respecting others choices and not feeling needlessly threatened by them."

That depends on the available social KC.

From what I've heard, this book is for highly developed devotees following the mood of the Gopis. Srila Bhaktisiddhanta once mentioned to his father that he thought it would be a good idea to print Govinda-lilamrita. Bhaktivinoda Thakura replied, "Fine. Print one copy--for yourself. Then you will have printed it."

Govinda-lilamrtam was written by krsna das Kaviraja who we knoe also wrote CC. But it is a VERY intimate on peek into Radha/Krsna lila.

The thing is people are still taking about how Prabhupada forbade the reading of Gaudiya Matha books and anyone who does some devotees are considering them traitorous. This is very wrong and destructive. I would just like to see that type of social stigmatation disappear.