IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Vishnupriya

Plight of madhva brahmins, How to change them??

Rate this topic

I am born in a Madhva Brahmin family. I consider myself very lucky for that. But almost 90% of the madhvas (youngsters) who are living in cities and towns are running after money. They have no interest in what Madhvacharya said. Their only aim is to get more and more degrees, earn money, marry, produce some kids and one final day they die. They have no idea that humans should strive to know God. They even make fun of me because I am not like them. Even their parents have no idea about spirituality. They consider people with money and lots of degrees to be very great and some of them do not give respect to people having adyatma gnana (real knowledge).

They consider themselves very great by eating non-vegetarian food, going to nightclubs and many more things.

I do not say that getting some degrees and earning money is bad but they should not forget God. They have no idea how great Madhvacharya and other Madhva yatis are.

Is there any remote possibility that they can be changed?

'By Your Example They can be changed'

/images/graemlins/grin.gif1 min.

By --endeavouring with six positive principles of devotional service, enthusiasm, patience, confidence, regulative principle {sravanam/kirtanam/Vishnu smaranam/pada sevanam}, associating with devotees, follows example of previous archaryas.

You're --meaning you, by mercy you can go far.

Example --being the best devotee you can be, being truthful, and endeavouring to establish sankirtana movement.

They --all fallen-souls can benefit by Kirtan, Including me/you, animals. This is the Religion for this Age.

Can --By and Only be Mercy of Guru and Gauranaga can change, will change by your part in the puzzle, fit all the pieces together, and preach this mission!

Be --cent percent CONFIDENCE in Gaura-hari, Guru, Vaishnava's, you can make a dog chant!

Changed --this is up to you.

Guest guest

I am born in a Madhva Brahmin family. I consider myself very lucky for that. But almost 90% of the madhvas (youngsters) who are living in cities and towns are running after money. They have no interest in what Madhvacharya said. Their only aim is to get more and more degrees, earn money, marry, produce some kids and one final day they die. They have no idea that humans should strive to know God. They even make fun of me because I am not like them. Even their parents have no idea about spirituality. They consider people with money and lots of degrees to be very great and some of them do not give respect to people having adyatma gnana (real knowledge).

I know what you mean, and I share a sense of personal shame in this. However, let's be realistic and look at the other half, too.

In the West, certain Vaishnava societies composed of many non-Hindu converts to Vaishnavism tend to encourage us by their example. We might be fooled into seeing their example only superficially, and then chiding our relatives for their mistakes.

But if you look more closely, you will see that even in the Western Vaishnava societies, there is a lot of degradation going on at the level of the "lay" devotees. Things like watching television, movies, eating restaurant food, "dating," divorce/remarrying are now so common place that it's hard to point the finger at only the hereditary brahmins while turning a blind eye to the missionary movements. On this forum there are many examples of "devotees" whining about how they are in love with this person or that person, what to do, etc, while others cheer them on and reassure them that this is "normal." Why, I even visited a website/message forum run by a former iskcon member who blatantly posts messages about his recent "love interests."

And what to speak of their spiritual leaders, among whom we seem to hear of a "falldown" almost every year.

Note that I am not pointing fingers at anyone. All I can say is the lure of materialistic life seems to be very strong, no matter who you are, who your guru is, etc. There are no religious organizations or traditions who have been able to set a pristine example. Look to individuals, not organizations, to set the example that must be followed.

Guest guest

Look to individuals, not organizations, to set the example that must be followed.

If you are really interested in God, you should consider saving your own butt first i.e. how can *I* reach God first, because saving others, i.e. becoming Guru, is a thankless job for the sincere soul and a bank balance warmer for the deceitful.

Guest guest

If you are really interested in God, you should consider saving your own butt first i.e. how can *I* reach God first, because saving others, i.e. becoming Guru, is a thankless job for the sincere soul and a bank balance warmer for the deceitful.

I cannot "save my own butt first" because to put it simply, no jIva can do it on his own. I require the grace of the Lord, via the agency of a guru, to do that.

My point was simply that one should not look wistfully at other groups or societies and think "why can't we be like them?" They all have their problems. Rather, one should look at individuals. There are many individuals in iskcon for instance who strike me as "part-time devotees." But every now and then I meet one who strikes me as quite regulated and austere. Similarly, the same is true of the mAdhva brahmin community and others.

Guest guest

I cannot "save my own butt first" because to put it simply, no jIva can do it on his own. I require the grace of the Lord, via the agency of a guru, to do that.

You won't get the grace or the rare Guru unless you desire the grace and that will not happen unless you realize that "I gotta save my butt first". All this institutionalization and "camps" mentality is the destruction of spiritual life. It is not without reason that rishis used to run away and live in the forest alone.

Guest guest

You won't get the grace or the rare Guru unless you desire the grace and that will not happen unless you realize that "I gotta save my butt first". All this institutionalization and "camps" mentality is the destruction of spiritual life. It is not without reason that rishis used to run away and live in the forest alone.

whatever...

The problem is faced by all brahmins, not only Madhva brahmins.

In South-India nowadays, it is very difficult for brahmins to survive unless you are very well educated and performing. Which leads to a demanding education and job, in a life full of pressures, when is the time to follow and understand philosophy? In this process some get carried away with the tide and go astray. It is after all the effect of Kaliyuga and natural.

But why Do are you despondent? as many still understand and follow tattva-vada, it is alive and kicking I have seen philosophical debates and discourses from great scholars. The scholars can lead a respectable life, thanks to support from the still beleiving. At least in Bangalore and around, I see a good growth of tattva-vada activities in recent years.

As for those who go astray to great lengths, let them, it is due to the intrinsyc nature of their Jiva and cannot be prevented in today's rat-race.

I should agree this as a problem faced by all theistic doctrines. Materialism is the danger today supported by technology, hopefully it is not too late for another shot in the arm.

I observe in history that arrogance is always the cause of downfall.

And not just the theistic schools. Currently in America Buddhism is very much in vougue. People see it as away to be stylishly esoteric without stepping on others toes and without having to answer to anyone for their actions.

Very much the opposite of a real Buddhist who desires freedom from the desire for sense gratification.

When reality shows itself in this world it will only take a moment for Maya to produce a simingly perfect likeness only minus the essence.

No surprise. It's her job.

u think jus bcos u were born i a brahmin family ur a brahmin.....man u r a loser......brahmins are thos who partake only the min. in life and devote themselves 2 god......being brahmin is not ur birth right just bcos u were born in a brahmin family.....and y call urself lucky when other castes r as good....each caste has its own purpose....so my friend u r no brahmin.....just bcos my dad is a madhwa beahmin doesnt mean i am..i don follow the rles and i wood b best if u stop as well ather being a partial brahmin.......

Riteshten,

being born in a madhva family and that too with the right awareness signifies a lot of sukriti in the past life.Please do not pass such comments.

First and foremost,you have to look after our own advancement.For that we have to attach our mind to the name,form,qualities,leelas,abodes of the lord.THEN,whent the heart is pure(vessel),the guru will immediately give his mercy.The guru is always searching for such vessels.He is very eager to bestow mercy.

Guest kumar

u think jus bcos u were born i a brahmin family ur a brahmin.....man u r a loser......brahmins are thos who partake only the min. in life and devote themselves 2 god......being brahmin is not ur birth right just bcos u were born in a brahmin family.....and y call urself lucky when other castes r as good....each caste has its own purpose....so my friend u r no brahmin.....just bcos my dad is a madhwa beahmin doesnt mean i am..i don follow the rles and i wood b best if u stop as well ather being a partial brahmin.......

I fully agree dud. Even "just bcos my dad is a madhwa beahmin doesnt mean i am" is not also sure. No dad is madwa or brahmin. But What I understand is that, being born in a brahmin family, you have a choice by birth. But I dont blame brahmins for their modern lifestyles. This society deserve not to have any brahmins at all. They dont support a brahmin to live a life of brahmin and serve the society. This is a degraded barbaric society. If you want to live as a true brahmin, even our family members will run away.

With time i understood the importance of Brahmin. After going through the life of the likes of Ramanujacharya, Madhvacharya, Adi Shankarcharya, Paramhansa Yogananda, Ramakrishna Paramhansa, Sri Abhay Charan Dey and many many others, i understood the importance of their advent.

Think of this world without a Tulsidasa, Thyagrajen, Annamacharya, Ramadasu... I think you got the answer. 

It is true that Brahmins of today are just for namesake. But i still believe that there are some who still carrying the Brahminical Flag up high according to their capacity. There are a long way to go before the Indian Culture would be erased from this world before another pristine and pure yuga starts, so we should not lose hope...the Lord will see to it that someone comes to guide us time and again.