IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ancient_paztriot

The MInd Must Survive

Rate this topic

Syamasundaraa dasa: For James, the mind must survive the body, since the mind is not dependent on the body for its existence.

Srila Prabhupada: That is a fact. When the gross body is finished, the subtle body consisting of the mind, intelligence, and ego remains. These guide us to another gross body. They are like the aroma coming from a rose. We can see the rose, but we cannot see the aroma. Still, the aroma is being scattered by the air. Similarly, wheen the spirit soul gives up the gross body, it is carried by the mind, intelligence, and ego. According to our desire, that subtle body enters another gross body.

Syamasundaraa dasa: If the mind and intelligence are not material, do they not die?

Srila Prabhupada: To die means to disappear. The mind disappears when you are liberated.

Syamasundaraa dasa: then I carry my mind with me throughout all my lifetimes?

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, as long as you are not liberated.

Syamasundaraa dasa: Is this the same mind I have now and have always had?

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, but the body, which is material and gross, changes. the subtle material body-mind, intelligence, and false ego-accompanies us until we are liberated.

Srila Prabhupada: To die means to disappear. The mind disappears when you are liberated.

I don't understand the above. Any explanations would be helpful. I have been through this subject before, and it always baffles me, but I HAVE to know this stuff.

Ps. Is all this your posting from the Folio, or the taped conversations you have? Is this gonna be on your site? Some of the posts you have made, I never thought of it like that, Srila Prabhupada has a unique way of making everything simple for us, which is a quaility not to be found except in Pure devotees.

Srila Prabhupada: "To die means to disappear"

means that at the time of death the body disappears as stated by Krishna:

[Dehinosmin Yathaa Dehe, Kaumaram Yauvanam Jara,

Tathaa Dehaantara Praptir, Dhiras Tatra Na Muhyati.

"As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body, from boyhood to youth to old age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death. A self-realized soul is not bewildered by such a change." - BG 2.13 - http://www.asitis.com/2/13.html ]

"The mind disappears when you are liberated"

is because the material mind is the cause of bondage of the living being as stated by Krishna:

Udhadhared Aatmana Aatmaanam, Naatmaanam Vasaadayet,

Aatmaiva Hyatmano Bandhur, Aatmaiva Ripuraatmanah

"A man must elevate himself by his own mind, not degrade himself. The mind is the friend of the conditioned soul, and his enemy as well. " - BG 6.5 - http://www.asitis.com/6/5.html ]

In the purport to this Srila Prabhupada quotes this verse:

mana eva manusyanam karanam bandha-moksayoh

bandhaya visayasango muktyai nirvisayam manah

"For man, mind is the cause of bondage and mind is the cause of liberation. Mind absorbed in sense objects is the cause of bondage, and mind detached from the sense objects is the cause of liberation."

Hope this helps!

Hare Krishna!

"The mind disappears when you are liberated"

--

So the mind disappears when you are liberated,

the mind is purified so it is not the 'mind' that it was Before, it is surrendered to Lord Krsna.

Is that right /images/graemlins/confused.gif

So the mind disappears when you are liberated, the mind is purified so it is not the 'mind' that it was Before, it is surrendered to Lord Krsna.

Yes, As stated by Srila Rupa Gosvami:

Iha Yasya Harer Dasya, Karmana Manasa Gira,

Nikhilsv Api Avasthaasu, Jiivan Mukta Sa Uchyate. [ Bhakti Rasamrita Sindhu 1.2.187 ]

"Living in this world if a person fully dedicates his mind, works and words to Krishna at every moment, then he is considered to be liberated." -

So, in this case the mind does not think of anything else other than Krishna. Hence the mind is fully spiritual [liberated] and is equaivalent to no material mind [disppearance of material mind].

don't understand the intelligence part!....wht kind of intelligence?...

This intelligence refers to the intelligence accumulated during the previous lifetimes. It can be material or spiritual.

Spiritual Intelligence is gathered when the living entity tries to develop the unflinching devotional service to Krishna.

As stated by Krishna:

[ Teshaam Satata Yuktaanaam, Bhajataam Priiti Puurvakam

Dadhaami Budhdhi Yogam Tam, Yena Maam Upayaanti Te

"To those who are constantly devoted and worship Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me." - BG 10.10 - http://www.asitis.com/10/10.html ]

So, if the living entity did not do any devotional service to Krishna then the intelligence that is carried on to another body is material intelligence and depending on the devotional service rendered to Krishna there will be spiritual intelligence which lets the living entity appreciate Krishna's greatness and render more devotional service unto Krishna.

Hope this helps /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

How come i do not remember having any intelligence from past life?...as far as i know all my intelligence i gained is from this life...i do not own (or aware) any extra knowledge or intelligence that i didn't learn from this life...

How come i do not remember having any intelligence from past life?...as far as i know all my intelligence i gained is from this life...i do not own (or aware) any extra knowledge or intelligence that i didn't learn from this life...

There are many incidents that have happened with you in your present life, but you do not remeber all of them. It does not mean that those incidents have no effect on your personality at present. They have effect. It is just that you do not remember the incidents.

This is the case with the rest of us as well.