IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ancient_paztriot

Happiness Is Doing What Is Right

Rate this topic

Syamasundara dasa: For Kant, the summum bonum is virtue combined with happiness. Happiness is the knowledge of doing what is right.

Srila Prabhupada: Happiness means spiritual happiness. There is no material happiness because whatever is material is temporary. Since the spirit soul is eternal, he must have spiritual happiness. That happiness is Krsna consciousness. If you know that you are the eternal servant of Krsna, and you are serving Krsna, that service is your happiness. Even if your duty is painful, you are still happy because you know that you are acting for Krsna.

Syamasundara dasa: Kant points out that on earth, happiness does not necessarily accompany goodness; therefore there must be a God who sees that a virtuous man finds his deserved happiness in a future life. Without such justice, there would be no meaning to morality.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, in the last mantra of Isopanisad, it is stated

agne naya supatha raye asman

visvani deva vayunani vidvan

yuyodhy asmaj juhuranam eno

bhuyistham te nama-uktim vidhema

“O my Lord, powerful as fire, omnipotent one, now I offer You all obeisances, falling on the ground at Your feet. O my Lord, please lead me on the right path to reach You, and, since You know all that I have done in the past, please free me from the reactions to my past sins so that there will be no hindrance to my progress.” (Isopanisad 18) We should be very sincere in our service to God so that He will relieve us of the reactions of our karma. Unless there is a Supreme, what is the value of morality?

Syamasundara dasa: Kant would say that in his earthly life, a man should not be motivated toward moral conduct out of any expectation of happiness, but out of a sense of duty, or reverence for the moral law.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, that means unmotivated service. It is not that we love Krsna just to receive some benefit. It is our duty. That is pure morality. Knowing that we are part and parcel of Krsna, we should render service to Krsna without ulterior motivation.

Syamasundara dasa: The goal of Kant’s personal ethics is twofold: it is a person’s duty to attain his own perfection and also to seek the happiness of others.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes that is Krsna consciousness. A Krsna conscious man is not happy thinking, “I have now contacted Krsna; therefore my business is finished.” Other living entities are also part and parcel of Krsna, but due to misguidance, they are not serving Him. Consequently, they are not ataining happiness. It is the duty of one who knows Krsna to preach about Him out of mercy. Those who are satisfied just tending to their own personal spiritual life are not as highly elevated as those who try to enlighten others.

Hayagriva dasa: Although an impersonalist, Fichte is certainly not an inactivist. In The Vocation of Man, he writes: “Not merely to know, but according to thy knowledge to do, is thy vocation… Not for idle contemplation of thyself, not for brooding over devout sensations––no, for action art thou here; thine action, and thine action alone, determines thy worth.”

Srila Prabhupada: Yes, and that is also the philsophy of our Krsna consciousness movement, which meaintains that we are meant for rendering daily service to Krsna. We do not believe that you should simply sit down, smoke cigarettes, and speculate on God. What will be the use of such speculation? We advocate a practical life of action devoted to Krsna.

Guest guest

How can U act when you're constantly thinking of Krishna? Is this why Hindus have lagged behind the rest of them? I am asking in all honesty, do not misconstrue this as an insult.

Regards,

Ahmed

How can U act when you're constantly thinking of Krishna?

We can act and constantly think of Krishna in the similar way how a husband works in the office and constantly thinks of his family or how a paramour works so nicely that she does nor let her husband know about her relation with another man. Krishna says:

Tasmaat Sarvseshu Kaaleshu Maam Anusmara Yudhya Cha,

Mayya Arpito Mano Budhdhir Maam Evaishyas Asamshyah

"Therefore, Arjuna, you should always think of Me in the form of Krsna and at the same time carry out your prescribed duty of fighting. With your activities dedicated to Me and your mind and intelligence fixed on Me, you will attain Me without doubt." - BG 8.7 - http://www.asitis.com/8/7.html ]

Another way of thinking about Krishna constantly even though performing work very nicely is to recognise the presence of the energy of Krishna everywhere as stated by Krishna:

Rasoham Apsu Kaunteya Prabhaasmi Shashi Suryayoh,

Pranavah Sarva Vedeshu, Shbdam Khe Paurusham Nrshu

"O son of Kunti [Arjuna], I am the taste of water, the light of the sun and the moon, the syllable om in the Vedic mantras; I am the sound in ether and ability in man." - BG 7.8 - http://www.asitis.com/7/8.html ]

Is this why Hindus have lagged behind the rest of them?

Religion never makes a person to be lagged behind. In fact, religion gives the person the courage and determination to perform his/her duty with full dedication and conviction as an offering to the Lotus feet of Krishna. As stated in the answer to the previous question.

In fact, Krishna asks Arjuna to do his duty without any lethargy as said by Krishna:

[Mayi Sarvani Karmaani, Sanyasa Adhyatma Chetasa

Nirashir Nirmamo Bhutva, Yudhyasva Vigata Jvara

"Therefore, O Arjuna, surrendering all your works unto Me, with mind intent on Me, and without desire for gain and free from egoism and lethargy, fight." - BG 3.30 - http://www.asitis.com/3/30.html ]

I am asking in all honesty, do not misconstrue this as an insult.

Your honesty and sincerity in asking this question is appreciated. Hope you're able to get a better insight into the matter now..

Hare Krishna!