IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Avinash

A new planet-like body found

Rate this topic

NASA-funded researchers have discovered a planetoid (a planet-like body), which is the most distant object so far found orbiting the Sun. It is three times farther from Earth than Pluto is.

The sun appears so small from that distance that, standing on the surface of Sedna, you could completely block the Sun out with the head of a pin. The object has been named Sedna after the Inuit goddess of the ocean.

After Mars, Sedna it is the second reddest known object in the solar system. It is approximately three- fourths the size of Pluto.

Sedna is extremely far from the sun, in the coldest known region of our solar system, where temperatures never rise above minus 240 degrees Celsius (minus 400 degrees Fahrenheit). The planetoid takes about 10,500 Earth years to revolve around the Sun. The orbit of Sedna is highly elliptical. When it is at the maximum distance from Sun, then its distance from Sun is 130 billion kilometers.

Since this newly discovered object is the coldest most distant place known in the solar system, it has been named Sedna. Sedna is the Inuit goddess of the sea and is thought to live at the bottom of the frigid arctic ocean.

Sedna likely rotates once every approximately 40 Earth days. Of all of the objects in the solar system, only Mercury and Venus are known to rotate more slowly. It is estimated that this slow rotation is because Sedna may have a satellite. The researchers hope to check this possibility with NASA's Hubble Space Telescope.

Hare Krishna

I have been 'kind of' studying about how individuals act when they are lying, I have seen the way scientists act/react to questions, seems to me when asked about Mars space programme they all seem to urm Lie..maybe?

(hope you like my new signature, it took me ages to get it right!)