IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Is Yoghurt Vegetarian?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Friends,

I am in the west right now, and back in India, my friends have warned me that there is beef in everyting including yoghurt.

Well, I went to a food stall in a mall, and it was like watching National Geographic, with lots of animal flesh around. So, I just had some strawberry yoghurt.

When I asked the lady if it has any meat, she said its just yoghurt.

What does it mean? Does it or does it not have meat?

Guest guest

I have been a vegetarian since my birth. Oh No.

So, gelatin is from dead animals?

Then they feed kids with Gello or whatever it is in India. Oh god, they eat them without even knowing what is in there.

Guest guest

damn, I didn't know that gelatin was from dead animals. I hope krishna forgives me for doing something wrong and without even knowing what I did.

I don't believe you'd incur a big reaction for this, but this the reason why devotees need to be very very careful when shopping. There are a lot of karmi vegetarian websites that tell you exactly which ingredients have dead animals in them.

Nope, MOST yoghurt is NOT at all vegetarian. I'm actually glad that something like this is being discussed here.

I think that we should be way more aware of what we put in our body (takes note to say that to myself in the mirror)

Personaly I believe that a raw food/vegan diet is the healthiest we can get...drinking milk is also not good for humans. I know that this is a difficult topic in the Krishna movement but it is something that will need to be considered in due time...vaisnavism is about tolerance and I don't think that we should tolerate what is going on in the dairy business. We make a stand against eating meat and we really should take that one step further...and not tolerate anything that is causing abuse to helpless creatures wheter they are humans or animals.

ANyways, back to the topic: it's not only yoghurt we have to watch...we need to check the E numbers and then there's the stuff we can't check like certain additives for flavor etc etc...

Guest guest

In India we have a green dot on Veggie stuff.

It means no meat, no eggs. But dairy products might be there.

If there is a brown ( or red?) dot, it means it is non veg.

This makes things even for people who cannot read the labels.

But In the west, I spend 5-10 minutes just reading the contents ( and in vegetable soups,I find beef tallow after painfully reading).

Then they say Gelatin. Only thru this forum I came to know that Gelatin is from animal sources.

Only thru this forum I came to know that Gelatin is from animal sources.

Yeah, there's lots of people that make a weird face when you tell them what gelatin REALLY is.

It's actually in so many stuff...candy for instance. Overhere in the western world there's maybe a few sorts of candy that doesn't contain gelatin.

in IMHO, is the best commercial yoghurt. Try the "Cream on Top"....hmmmmmm......Their yoghurt is smooth and creamy. So fresh...the closest I have come to homemade in a commericial variety.

There are others but they tend to be on the bitter side. Dannon makes a natural yoghurt but I steer clear from them since they make the gelatin added yoghurt also. You never know when some careless worker might confuse the ingredients.

Another product to watch out for is sour cream....same problem. There is one company...I think called Daisy that makes a natural non additive no meat sour cream.

Cracks me up!!! Just because they don't see flesh in the food people will call it vegetarian...look at Jello.

Gotta read those labels with a magnifying glass and also learn the tech names for meat by products.

Well, we are at it...read the ingredients on a bar of regular ol' commercial bath soap...eeeeekkkkkkk....I ain't washing this body with THAT!!! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif