Rate this topic

Guest guest

What is pranayma?

Is it yoga?

Is it difficult to learn?

How is it benificial?

What are the side effects.

Hare Krishna

I am no expert, but it is explained a little in the www.asitis.com Bhagavad-Gita As It Is, the process of Pranayama is used for specifically to link with Krishna, uniting/yoga, linking process, only a few can do this in this age, in previous ages the life expectency was much longer, but in this age peoples are lazy and dull, so the reccommeded process is chanting the Holy names of Krishna!

pranayama is yogic breathing. it is relatively easy and can be very beneficial if done correctly. if done incorrectly and forcefully it can have disastrous consequences (through imbalance of airs of life and chakra centers), up to and including insanity. It is much easier and safer to just chant Hare Krishna! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Exactly, it can prove to be very dangerous. Though I have to say, I totally admire the true yogi's that have mastered the art of breathing. I can't recall in exactly what purport Srila Prabhupada is talking about it but he also says that we have a preset amount of breaths that we can take in this life...yogi's can live longer because they are not wasting their breath and they even practice to breath in deeper and longer, to leave more time between the breathing etc etc.

But like the previous poster said...I also think that just chanting will prove to be more usefull for us Kali-Yuga people. Especially us here in the Western world. We are not at all encouraged here to live like that, we're not even encouraged to lead a devotional life, just a hectic, chaotic life in the crazy economic capitalistic world where everything is measure in profit and money.

Pranayama if tried without an expert Guru can lead to madness and even death.Todays Business suit clad"Gurus" who patent "yogas" and dish it out using extreme heat etc are a kill-all cure for population explosion.

Pranayam has both physical and spiritual benifits if performed properly.

It is said that fixed(held still for a long long time give this but for a shorter time gives health and purification) air and fixed mercury give super powers(like Superman) and dead(totally subjugated) air gives immortality(Life upto a Kalpa or Mahakalpa) as Kaal is all consuming and spares no one.

Pranayama should not be used as a substitude for chanting I think that is obvious, the health benefits however are many and for someone who is ill it can be incredibly effective.

Look up this link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0861444000/026-0118221-1608456?v=glance&n=266239

some know how to breath while chanting... do some of you know the techniques ?