IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

"Bhagavan" Sri Srila Bhaktisiddhanta? Odd title or ??

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have noticed that the devotees of Sri Chaitanya Saraswata Matha refer to Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati as "Bhagavan Sri Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati Goswami Prabhupad."

Many other Gaudiya Matha groups omit the "Bhagavan" title.

Does this mean that the SCSM devotees consider Srila Bhaktisiddhanta to be "Bhagavan"? Do they attribute divinity to him, and do they do so in a manner different from other Gaudiya Matha groups?

Perhaps someone from SCSM is reading this, and can help clarify my understanding. Thank you!

Dear guest, this title people give to Bhaktisiddhanta Saraswati is not that he is divine, in terms of being God.

I remember reading Bhaktivedanta's purport about Vidura calling the sage Maitreya as Bhagavan and he explained that he gave this title because that sage knew Bhagavan. It is an honorary title to give such exalted devotees of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, they are as good as God, but not God. Never are they God. Quality not quantity.

Guest guest

Fine. Then why does SCSM give it to Bhaktisiddhanta, but not to Bhaktivinode or to Srila Sridhar Maharaja?

Guest guest

OK. But is there ANYONE here from SCSM who can explain why the SCSM devotees call Bhaktisiddhanta "Bhagavan" -- if it is merely an honorific without implications of divinity -- but don't use this same title for Bhaktivinode or Sridhar Maharaj?

Guest guest

I have asked, at a couple of "official" SCSM sites. They don't answer. I don't know whether they're embarrassed to talk about it, or whether they don't know the answer themselves. That's why I'm asking here.