IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ShegavichaRana

Lyrics of Meera Bhajans

Rate this topic

I was going thru this Article in Spiritual Discussion . i saw 3 links about Meera Bhai.I could not get in the Link where it leads to story of Meera Bhai in Pictures !. Could someone tell me story of her and how is she deeply interested in our Lord Krsna !.

Thanks

Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare !

Meera was born in the Rajput dynasty. She loved Krishna from childhood, and always considered the Lord her husband. Her family forced her to marry, and her in-laws were not pleased by her devotional activities (including sankeerthana (ie. singing and dancing) in the temple) and they attempted several times to take her life. She wrote many many many bhajans to Lord Krishna, and at the end of her life was absorbed into the statue of Dwarakadish in modern Dwaraka.

Please correct me if I've made any errors.

Even at the time of her marriage, she had kept the idol of Lord Krishna near her. Right after the marriage she declared to her husband, Rana Bhoaj, that she would not be able to play the true role of a wife as she had been already married to Lord Krishna! He was really supportive of her, but her in-laws were against her for she refused to worship their family deity, Goddess Durga (Shakti) and refused to partake the meat offered to Her as Prasadam. There was bitter enemity between Muslims and Rajputs then. For hours together, Meera used to talk to Lord, in solitude and write her poetry, sing and dance to please her Lord. All these things were looked with scorn by the royal family. Her sister-in-law Udabai used to fuel the quarrels by poisoning Bhoj's ears by all sorts of slander about Meera, which was obviously false as Meera was oblivious to the outside world. Her world revolved around Lord Krishna alone. One day, emperor Akbar and Tansen visited disguised as mendicants and Akbar present her a diamond necklace, which she refused to touch, finally Akbar decoarted the idol of Lord with the necklace. Bhoj was out of his head when, he learnt that Akbar had visited Meera (she was not aware that Akbar had visited her). When Bhoj died of wounds in the war, his younger brother took over the reins of the kingdom. Thereafter all the hell broke loose. Meera had to undergo untold sufferings at the hands of her brother-in-law. But she bore it patiently keeping her devotional fervour intact. When she learnt that her brother-in-law wished that she would better committed suicide for the sake of the honour of their family. She willingly went to the river to drown herself, but Lord stopped her there and advised her to go to Vrindavana. She left for Vrindavana and stayed there in the company of Sadhus. With a band of Sadhus she happily came to Dwarika, where her Lord resided. Then there was no looking back. With her departure, the kingdom suffered calamities after calamities, and the king became helpless. The brahmins at his court told that, the calamities were the result of driving a pious saint like Meera away after torture. He forcefully sent them to Dwarika to fetch her back. The brahmins met her at Dwarika and requested her to return, which she refused. However, they persisted and threatened her that they would undertake fast-unto-death, if she refused to return. She told them that she would convey her decision on the following day at the entrance of the temple. That night, Meera went to the temple with a fervant request to Lord for not sending her back away from Him. Just then, she merged in Him completely. Next day morning, the brahmins saw her clothes were lying near the entrance. Meera's story ended like this. Rajputs never allowed others to know the sufferings she underwent neither recognised her as a great saint. But it was the Lord's way. Through her poetry all her sufferings came to the light! If not Rajputs, the rest of the world acknowledge her as the devotee of the higest order!