IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Govindaram

Tulasi bracelets

Rate this topic

I talked about it, and so did Yasodanandana. If you can show scriptural quote that would help, but I have never heard this. Its what many devotees have taken shelter of when they were in odd situations where they absolutely could not wear them around their neck. Anyone have Prabhupada quotes on the subject?

One thought could be, it should not be worn on the left (moochi) hand/wrist but on the left. If people don't know this, that could be the offense. It should be worn on the right therefore clean hand/wrist. I will go post it on the other thread too.

the "classic" place for tulasi is around the neck.... but we are so fortnate that so many people come to this movement from any social class, any profession, any estetic taste that we have to use some intelligence to answer to new little or big problems without compromising the principle and without bothering unnecessarily them with details

so everything is so nice!!:)

(for my poor english... what's the difference between lucky and forunate?...)

haribol

Is was actually my mum who said it to me one day, and I have to agree with her, on this one /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can't find any sastric evidence in the Folio, about not wearing nor can I find anything saying we can, so for now I should assume its not a good idea, sorry I am not convinced that it should be done at all.

"I can't find any sastric evidence in the Folio, about not wearing nor can I find anything saying we can, so for now I should assume its not a good idea, sorry I am not convinced that it should be done at all. "

so you can use your intelligence prabhu, in the folio you will not find also the words "mp3" or "internet" or "condenser microphone" or "osama bin laden"!!

use analogies , it is scientific and a thing that also a little pupil like me and you can do.. and if you/we make a mistake, it is a little detail, no problems

My wife and I gave a friend who is a bit new to Krsna Consciousness a Tulasi mala as a Christmas gift. The other day she called and asked if it would be proper to wear it on her wrist as she has a small baby who was showing some inclination for grabbing it and she was concerned he might accidentally break it.

My thought was “Utility is the principle.” If this adjustment would allow her to continue to wear Tulasi beads better she does it in this manner than take them off. I agreed this would be fine without excessive deliberation on the subject.

Guest guest

I once heard a story in a class that mentioned that a Muslim man, due to causless mercy saw the Yamaduta's. It was apparently reported in a prominent Indian newspaper. The story went like this. The Muslim saw these extraordinary personalities and conversed with them. He was told that they were about to fetch a specific man who would pass by a specific place riding on a bullock cart. His death would then be caused when the cart would stop at a specific point and he would dismount and then be gnawed by the horns of the bull. Then he would be fetched by these Yamaduta's. After obtaining extra ordinary mercy the Muslim watched the occurance from behind a bush. However when the events occured as per the predictions of the Yamaduttas to the Muslim, the Yamadutta's left without fetching the deceased. The muslim man ...of extraordinary mercy ....asked them why they were not fetching the deceased as per plan and they told him that when the man fell and met his death his wrist touched ...or landed on a Tulasi tree and if anyone leaves their body touching the sacred Tulasi wood then they, the Yamaduttas cannot take them. The Muslim man rushed off to the nearest available Tulasi mala vendor and purachased Tulasi mala and wrapped it repeatedly around his wrist. Tulasi devi's mercy ki, jai!!!!

are used for children because of the hazard of choking on a necklace (it has happened).

This is so true! When my children were little I was informed about this as some devotees were stringing neckbeads for their children the same way they do for adults (on fishing line or dental floss). I was told to use regular thread that breaks AND it should not be able to be pulled up past their chin. Once devotees started doing this, I never heard of any more chocking problems.

I suppose parents don't want to restring when they break, but its safer therefore a small tapa to take on. And this way they can be around their necks.

The muslim man ...of extraordinary mercy ....asked them why they were not fetching the deceased as per plan and they told him that when the man fell and met his death his wrist touched ...or landed on a Tulasi tree and if anyone leaves their body touching the sacred Tulasi wood then they, the Yamaduttas cannot take them. The Muslim man rushed off to the nearest available Tulasi mala vendor and purachased Tulasi mala and wrapped it repeatedly around his wrist. Tulasi devi's mercy ki, jai!!!!

Incredible story! Thanks!

When is a good age to introduce kunti mala to children, then?

By kunti mala I am assuming you mean japa beads and not neck beads. If that is the case, I would not rush it. Too many gurukuli's wont even chant at all because it was shoved down their throat. Some will chant a little tho without beads, and some will use beads tho not chant very much really. All this may have started with over enthusiasm, but it so easily escalates. I heard in general, the earliest age is 12. Just a general rule and not a hard and fast one.