IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
aisharya

What do I need to know about joining a temple?

Rate this topic

Hari Bol! Dear godbrothers and godsisters. Please accept my humble obeisances. What can I expect when I join a temple? I am awaiting permission to join ISKCON in California. What do I leave behind? What can I bring of personal items. If I can't earn any money how do I get sundries like toothpaste when I need it? What if I have a medical or dental need after I am in the temple? I am 48 years old. I do not have any aspirations for anything but Krishna consciousness yet this is still the biggest life changing situation I am ever going to do. I am very excited about this and would appreciate any helpful advice and words of wisdom. Aishwarya

these are questions you should ask the temple president where you are joining. btw: congratulations! /images/graemlins/smile.gif many presidents have good, sensible arrangements to take care of devotee needs. do not worry too much!

Thank you. Yes, I know I can ask the temple president but I really could use some female input. I have somehow managed to not really know any female devotees-guess its because of my location away from any temples. Any info is very appreciated. I have a harmonium I want to bring. Do I part with the cell phone? (Actually, I would be glad to.)

Guest guest

If I can't earn any money how do I get sundries like toothpaste when I need it?

••you'll be a nun.. and the monastery is supposed to care for you under all aspects

What if I have a medical or dental need after I am in the temple?

••the same.. you work for the temple, the temple cares for you as a daughter

I am 48 years old. I do not have any aspirations for anything but Krishna consciousness yet this is still the biggest life changing situation I am ever going to do.

••be very careful.. your duty is to chant hare krishna, not to change your caste or social class becaming a nun, brahmin, vanaprasta... in the tradition the instruction to join the monastic life, ashram is given by tha spiritual master, not taken whimsically by the practitioneer. So i hope you are initiated and your guru maharaja gave to you this order

I have a harmonium I want to bring...

Do I part with the cell phone? .....

•••i think that these little details will be very easily understood when you have resolved the other more important aspects. In my experience i have seen people of not very young age, living at the temple as guests more than as brahmachari... a little contribution.. and a little more authonomy (private room, maybe bathroom, more freedom on temple schedule and so on) than the young brahmachary and brahmacharinis. I think that it is more nice for various practical reasons and because it is more close to a vanaprasta/sannyasi condition, that it is the ideal model for people more than 50 years old.

(i am at a great difficulty to speak about the age of a lady.. even if a detached devotee of the lord.. so please excuse me.. hare krishna)

Haribol prabhu,

As female, and haivng lived in an asrhama, maybe I can help. Tho times have changed and I was younger back then, but overall it appears to remain the same.

First, keep your ideology yet temper it. Dont bring your car unless you are willing to have it turned into a temple car. Dont bring along your bank balance, every woman needs money for security and protection. Not even sure if I would take harmonium if it were me. Before you know it everything in the ashrama gets 'merged' as "Krishna's" but usually someone else is envious so it becomes theirs. Besides, if later you decide this lifestyle is not for, you need to have your funds and want to have your things. However, don't misundertand me. I am "not" saying dont move in. Matter of fact, I think it is one of the best things I ever did in my life and that everyone who can, should. At least for a period of time.

As we get older, medical becomes 'very' important, so you need to get this worked out and in writing from your temple president "before" you move in.

Which temple in california? I lived in that state many years.

I think you are making a good choice. Dont change your mind, just go about it a little more practically. Put things in storage rather than leave them behind. You can give a donation but dont give away every red cent you have. Etc. Medical and dental is often handled differently in each temple, but chances are high you will need to apply for medicare or similar. Can the cell phone, unless you dont mind others running up your bill.

Not to misunderstand. Simply temple devotees are people to. We are all in the fire getting purified, but we have not achieved the goal yet so our material sides sneak out.

Dear Guest,

How does one get initiated before you join a temple? I thought that is part of the program after you are in and they can see that you are practicing the four regulative principles. It is news to me that I have to be initiated and invited. Maybe in India that is true. This is certainly not a whimsical or implusive move on my part. In America we don't have caste or creed unless we are bigots of some sort. Also my questions are of a practical nature. Spirituality is not stupidity or lacking in common sense. Such as, should I finish my root canal work before I go or do I burden the Temple with it? Thank you.

Guest guest

How does one get initiated before you join a temple?

•••devotees are brahmachary (pupils, students), grihasta(householders), vanaprasta(renunciated), sannyasy(completely devoted to preaching)... the grihasta get initiation without going to live at the temple.. like srila prabhupada for example

It is news to me that I have to be initiated and invited.

•••my point was that it is a very important decision.. and somewhat dangerous because the 99.9999999% of people who joined the temple in the west have gone away after some time, in most of the cases getting so much spiritual problems for having done it whimsically. So i am recommending you to first take shelter in a spiritual master and ask to him if the thing that you are doing is good for your hare krishna chanting practice. Going at the temple is good only for a very few people, and going at 48 years is extremely strange.. so i was advicing to do it with the benedition of the natural advisor of the devotee.. the guru. Otherwise what's the real difference with the materialists if we do not learn to follow?

Spirituality is not stupidity or lacking in common sense.

•••with this sincere spirit i was advicing you to make this important step with extreme care... if you make the mistake to go to live at the temple without the necessary propensity, inclination, you risk to stop to practice krsna consciousness in a very short time... the risk is many times bigger than breaking all the regulative principles for centuries.

i sincerely was more ready to hear the objection: " oh.. i am not initiated, but i am following radhanath swami, jayapataka swami, hridayananda maharaja or so.. , he knows me, he said that it is allright for my spiritual life"

please forgive me for any offence... i am only trying to give some help

Guest guest

What can I expect when I join a temple?

The main advice I would give is, be careful.

There are ideals, and there is reality. You might see things that aren't supposed to be happening. In spite of this, don't lose interest in Krishna-consciousness if you see that practices do not match the ideals. Many people seem to join, bringing a lot of emotional baggage with them. Be tolerant and give them space. Remain meek and unassuming. Above all, remember Krishna no matter what happens.

Dear Guest,

You made me smile very much at your comment"going to a temple at 48 is very strange" It is strange how I lived my life without knowing about Krishna until I had gone around the sun 40 times. It is strange how I had been a guide and mule packer in the Sierra Nevada for about 30 summers then decided to take theater and dance lessons from a man who turned out to be a disciple of Prabhupad's. This I did not know until after he died and I walked into an art gallery and met his friend, another devotee of Prabhupad's who told me about Krishna. That was wonderfully strange. I am soooo veeerrryyy fortunate to have been told about Krishna. I was told that I have exhausted my material desires and that is when Krishna came into my live. We are not these bodies and it is strange for you to imply that there is an age limit to Krishna consciousness.I wish I were so fortunate to have known of Krishna at an earlier time in my life, for I would have been able to dedicate more time to Krishna, my life would have been much more purposeful. I have no children, no mortgages, no real attachment to anything but Krishna. I believe Krishna has readied me for this time to go into a temple and devote the balance of my life to His service. Naturally, I have visited the temple I want to join. I have been unable to speak personally with the temple president so far but I also do not live close by to it. I have the support of many young, long time devotees in temple life. They do not see me as "strange". What is strange is really the wonderful and magical works of Lord Krishna. I am pure spirit soul and I think you are having a preconceived notion in your mind of maybe a middle-aged burned-out Target shopper checking into new age crystals or something.

Dear Priita,

Thank you for your good, kind advice. Certainly I have a few things I am wondering about. I do not own much as I have been steadily giving, selling all my belongings for the past three years. I do not care for material things unless it is a light to read Prabhupad's books by. A pillow to sit on while I play on my Harmonium, songs to Guru and Krishna. Some paints to do spiritual art. My massage table to do healing massages. A bag of clothes that fit into a hefty lawn & leaf sack. I have no money but the weekly check I earn. A car with 100,000 miles on it that a devotee gave me. I want Krishna not a Mercedes and a sack of money. The previous guest says I am strange to go at age 48 into a temple. It is also strange to throw away my cowboy hat, spurs and jeans for a Sari. I am so very happy one,two and three devotees in their fifties told me about Krishna and Prabhupad. I would like to tell you what temple I am asking to join but prefer that to be private. Please e-mail me if you like.

you are taking a wonderful step forward in your spiritual growth.

The best advice tho that you have received on this thread is from Prta when she advises to keep you bank account to yourself.

Side note: where in the Sierra Nevadas were you a mule packer? I worked for years up at Huntington Lake running several different resorts there. We may have crossed paths at some point in time. I used to see many of the pack station personnel around and would hike up to some of the pack stations.

Guest guest

You made me smile very much at your comment"going to a temple at 48 is very strange" It is strange how I lived my life without knowing about Krishna until I had gone around the sun 40 times.

•••knowing krsna and going to the temple are not synonims

That was wonderfully strange. I am soooo veeerrryyy fortunate to have been told about Krishna.

•••oh yes.. and i am sooo happy that there's a new vaishnava in tis sad world!! h a r i b o l ! ! ! !!

I was told that I have exhausted my material desires and that is when Krishna came into my live.

•••it is not exact.... krsna's mercy is not motivated, krsna saves also very big sinners, oh actually in this world, in kali yuga there's only big sinners... and there's no possibility to exaust material desires without knowing krsna.

so i think it is better to veryfy this feeling to be whitout desires together with an expert and pure spiritual master... in a sense you are desireless because the procedure to became desireless is already started with your accepting of the hare krishna mantra.. but in other senses the residual of your material conditionament is a good reason to be careful with the place and the people with whom you are going to live your krsna consciousness

We are not these bodies and it is strange for you to imply that there is an age limit to Krishna consciousness

•••oh... your krsna consciousness is not in discussion.... we are speaking of living in the temple or at home...

I wish I were so fortunate to have known of Krishna at an earlier time in my life, for I would have been able to dedicate more time to Krishna, my life would have been much more purposeful.

••and you are very nice, fortunate, and mercyful to all the mankind being a devotee of the lord... my obeisances!!

I believe Krishna has readied me for this time to go into a temple and devote the balance of my life to His service.

••i am only saying: 1)it is not necessary to live in the temple to be a devotee and to give the balance to krsna 2)be careful if you want to do it 3)ask advice to the most expert devotee you can find... the spiritual master

many young, long time devotees in temple life. They do not see me as "strange"

•••who is at his place in his service, who is executing the duties given by guru and krsna is not at all strange... provided that it is execiting a duty, not a dream, an illusion

I am pure spirit soul and I think you are having a preconceived notion in your mind of maybe a middle-aged burned-out Target shopper checking into new age crystals or something.

•••no... excuse me, i was not so clear explaining my point of view... i am convinced in your sincerity and advancement in krsna consciousness, i am only advicing to ask benedition and shelter to a spiritual master especially for this important decision.

And, having to be sincere, for me you (and me) surely need it ... because you maybe have not so clear the relationship between advancing in krsna consciousness and living in a particular place, and because you take the advice "ask to your spiritual master" as strange

(i am almost of your age... i was been a period in the temple)

Guest guest

ah.... the most important thing is that the TEMPLE vs HOME affair, has, for me, nothing to do with age... if you were 21 i gave the same advices

I'm with you on this, leela. I think you're in for a wonderful adventure. And it's clear you're mature and level-headed enough to keep your eyes open.

I think Pritha gave good advice. I'm 56 now, and I can't get away with neglecting my health as I did when I moved into the temple at 22. And I need to look foward to when I leave family life myself, and move into the temple again, either literally or figuratively. It sounds as though your presence in the ashram will be good for you and for the younger devotees.

I think it's a wonderful bit of synchronicity that you studied dance with Brent (Sudama to us). He was a warm, caring man who made many devotees feel happy about being in ISKCON. I served with him in Honolulu in the '70s.

I lived in Three Rivers for 3 years in the '80s, and in San Diego for several years after that. I'm also curious about which temple you're moving into. Maybe Pritha can let me know after you tell her. Good luck, and have fun!

Guest guest

{quote]•••devotees are brahmachary (pupils, students), grihasta(householders), vanaprasta(renunciated), sannyasy(completely devoted to preaching)... the grihasta get initiation without going to live at the temple.. like srila prabhupada for example

Thank you for your kindness. It is SO amazing that Sudama came into my life. I believe that a devotee doesn't even have to mention Krishna to have a huge impact on another soul. Sudama was like the fragrant sandalwood tree in the forest permeating my heart silently with Krishna.

I too lived in 3-rivers and San Diego. Yet in Three Rivers I never met a devotee. Would not have known what to look for!How I wish I had. It is okay that the guest was a little hard on me.I should expect to be challenged a little. I just assumed that having devotees recommending me to the temple president was part of the procedure and the fact that almost all I know of Krishna is from Srila Prabhupad's books. Even if I don't get there, I am sure Krishna will send me where he wants me, and I feel He wants me there for starters.

Livingentity,

I worked Kings Canyon, Sequoia & Yosemite Natl Parks then ended my trail days in John Muir & Ansel Adams wilderness in Minarets area & Edison & Florence Lake-near Huntington Lake. Then have been doing massage therapy at Mono Hot Springs.

Oh yes, I have been many times to both Edison and Florence Lakes and enjoyed also going to Mono Hot Springs.

I visited the Massage Therapy building there several years ago. Amazing, devotees so close and not realizing it.

Not too far from the ranger station at the turn off of Huntinton Lake Road to Florence and Edison Lakes is a wonderful group campground that I have always wanted to organize a gathering of devotees at. Everytime I would go by there I could almost hear the sweet sounds of the Lord Names rising to the heavens.

Hari Bol Livingentity! Last summer at Mono Hot Springs I met a group of devotees while doing a japa walk. I was crying and praying to Krishna the day before for association. I had prasadam and bhajans with them for three days out in the middle of the woods. It was wonderful.

P.S. Sorry about the two names on here-Aishwarya & Leela-couldn't remember my password then just got another e-mail.

Leela,

Haribol prabhu! I did not realize both names were yours. Thanks for pointing that out.

I would be happy to email you.

I clicked on your profile to get your email addy, but it was not there. Maybe you can email me? Mine is within my web page link. I rather not post it here, but will if necessary.

Not wanting materialistic things is something I understand. Only that I have seen after some time, ashrama life may get too diffiuclt or not what was expected or something else, and the person wants a way out. Not giving up devotional life, just to do it on their own. And now stronger and more able after getting ashrama training.

This is why I suggest holding on to money especially, but also anything you are especially attached to, even attachment for good reasons like your harmonium. Cuz if you ever do decide to leave, and wind up loosing say your harmonium, it may upset you. Best way to avoid that is by not bringing to the ashrama anything you're particularly attached to. Then over time, maybe a year, once you have learned how your particular ashrama functions, the loopholes, you can go get those things and move them in.

Bank account is another topic. Short from a donation, keep most of your money. You will be surprised in the various ways you will need it.

WOW I just modified my signature to include my egroup and did not realize it would change every single post I ever made. ha Well this is good, but it may make my last post sound silly regarding how to get my address if I didn't stop here to mention it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

"I do not see it beneficial to discourage someone from moving in ashrama. "

•••i do not see beneficial that you are taking an advice: "ask to the spiritual master" as a discouragement... read better prabhu...

Guest guest

The spiritual master doesn't need to be asked this. How ridiculous.

so what you ask to the spiritual master? isn't it an important step in the spiritual life? haribol..

Guest guest

i joined iskcon right after i turned 18,at the time i was

living on a new age healing commune,(which iskcon wanted to buy after one of the devotees and myself went there to pick up my stuff,it was bought by the self realization fellowship instead,to expensive for the iskcon temple that wanted it.)

that was 27 years ago, exactly the time when Srila Prabhupada left His body,Iskcon was at it's height in

America,Prabhupadas disciples hadn't yet started to leave

and there was a mood of one big family ,and new devotees

like myself moved into a very large very well run(for the most part) organization .

within 3 years the society in America had

changed drastically,there was a steady exodus of Prabhupadas disciples who had years of experience and who

for the most part had come from the peace and love

sub culture.

The ones that stayed behind were of two types, those

who were seriously engaged in an important(relatively)

service and those who had a position in management

and whose material desires for comfort at others expense

were being fullfilled,they would be content to have the newer and older rank and file devotees work hard to make money in order

to support their lifestyles,nice homes,nice cars,

international travel,etc, all the while exorting

the rank and file to work hard and "sacrifice"

(meaning free labor for the enjoyment of the management).

This attitude was pervasive at least in America,the result is that the rank and file became disgusted and left,and

what we have today is a shadow of Iskcons glorious past.

Of course this is not what happened at every single temple,

but at least 90%.

Today every temple is very much a world unto itself,

and each will have it's own unique character and style

of leadership, The new devotees should be aware that

what they read in books and what is reality at the temples may not be the same transcendental reality,

often times there are various behind the scenes dramas

playing out and you could find yourself in the middle

of someones unkind selfish sphere of influence.

As the Bhagavata philosophy tells us to be very

carefull in choosing a spiritual master,be very thorough

in investigating his qualifications,be very aware

of whom you accept as your guide,you should apply this

to the ashram you plan on joining,I'm not speaking of the initiating

guru,but the temple leadership, they for all practical

purposes are the "gurus" of that temple, they call the shots,make the decisions and engage everyone according

to their desires, since they have taken the position of

Siksa Guru,the instructing spiritual master,you should not

submit to their guidance without thorough and carefull

study of their character and all else you can learn about them, this is the Bhagavata process, the person

who blindly walks into a situation giving up their

will to a spiritual preceptor without knowing if they

are qualified is not following the Bona fide tradition,

and you get what you pay for.

If you haven't even met the leadership of the temple you plan on moving into, if i were you i would move nearby

the temple and get to know the leadership and community

before submitting as a disciple does to a Guru. /images/graemlins/wink.gif