IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

How to know if He exists?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I know that a devotee should have firm faith in the Lord, but I have to ask this question. It is not that we hear Him, we see Him nor is it that we get clear instructions from Him. Even after getting a guru, it is coming from a person, not Him telling you. The atheists today too, say that He never speaks, if He really exists then why doesn't He speak or come when we call Him? This is a question pondering at the back of the mind. Any reasonable answer would be appreciated.

-lover soul-

Lover Soul,

Some people want to be the controllers, the enjoyers, the great ones. They do not want someone as great as Sri Krsna around.

Krsna is so kind that He makes it seem quite reasonable to not believe in Him.

I have often wondered where my faith in Krsna came from in the beginning, then I realized that I had borrowed my faith from Srila Prabhupada. There was never any doubt that Krsna was God. That faith in Prabhupada must have come from reading his books wherein he revealed his genuine heart and his compassion for me.

Later Krsna gave me my own faith, but it was Prabhupada's faith that led the charge for those so many years.

The truth is: we don't really want Him yet. We think we do, but there is so much else we want. When we are ready, as it is confirmed in the Brahma-Samhita 5.38, we will have all faith:<blockquote><center><font color="red">premAJjana-cchurita-bhakti-vilocanena

santaH sadaiva hRdayeSu vilokayanti

yaM zyAmasundaram acintya-guNa-svarUpaM

govindam Adi-puruSaM tam ahaM bhajAmi

</center>

prema--of love; aJjana--with the salve; churita--tinged; bhakti--of devotion; vilocanena--with the eye; santaH--the pure devotees; sadA--always; eva--indeed; hRdayeSu--in their hearts; vilokayanti--see; yam--whom; zyAma--dark blue; sundaram--beautiful; acintya--inconceivable; guNa--with attributes; svarUpam--whose nature is endowed; govindam--Govinda; Adi-puruSam--the original person; tam--Him; aham--I; bhajAmi--worship.

</font>

I worship Govinda, the primeval Lord, who is SyAmasundara, KRSNa Himself with inconceivable innumerable attributes, whom the pure devotees see in their heart of hearts with the eye of devotion tinged with the salve of love.

PURPORT

The SyAmasundara form of KRSNa is His inconceivable simultaneous personal and impersonal self-contradictory form. True devotees see that form in their purified hearts under the influence of devotional trance. The form SyAma is not the blue color visible in the mundane world but is the transcendental variegated color affording eternal bliss, and is not visible to the mortal eye. On a consideration of the trance of VyAsadeva as in the zloka, bhakti-yogena manasi etc., it will be clear that the form of SrI KRSNa is the full Personality of Godhead and can only be visible in the heart of a true devotee, which is the only true seat in the state of trance under the influence of devotion. When KRSNa manifested Himself in Vraja, both the devotees and nondevotees saw Him with this very eye; but only the devotees cherished Him, eternally present in Vraja, as the priceless jewel of their heart. Nowadays also the devotees see Him in Vraja in their hearts, saturated with devotion although they do not see Him with their eyes. The eye of devotion is nothing but the eye of the pure unalloyed spiritual self of the jIva. The form of KRSNa is visible to that eye in proportion to its purification by the practice of devotion. When the devotion of the neophyte reaches the stage of bhAva-bhakti the pure eye of that devotee is tinged with the salve of love by the grace of KRSNa, which enables him to see KRSNa face to face. The phrase "in their hearts" means KRSNa is visible in proportion as their hearts are purified by the practice of devotion. The sum and substance of this zloka is that the form of KRSNa, who is SyAmasundara, NaTavara (Best Dancer), MuralIdhara (Holder of the Flute) and TribhaGga (Triple-bending), is not a mental concoction but is transcendental, and is visible with the eye of the soul of the devotee under trance.

</blockquote>

gHari

Guest guest

in the gita Krsna tells us that he reveals the truth

to the person he chooses,there is no other way.

Krsna reveals the truth to you,any amount of study or

asceticism or any type of benevolence will not have the truth revealed to you, this is explained by Krsna

to Arjuna,He tells him that he needs divine eyes,

that he cannot understand Him unless his vision

is enhanced.

This is the nature of spiritual awakening,it is based

on experience given to you,Krsna tells Arjuna

"because you are devoted to Me,and you are My friend,

I will reveal the truth of Myself"

That is the only possible way to know God,By God's

desire you will experience God,without God's desire

you will not.

Guest guest

I can assure you, that God exits and exits. Just observe the solar system, the earth, the sun. Ask yourself, where did the Earth get the power to revolve arnd the sun and how did Sun get the power to radiate.

Observe the beautiful nature, how do trees grow, do they grow by itself???

Observe your very own body. How does ur body digest foood, how do the kidneys work, the heart beats, a new life born, how do people grow from a child to a big man or woman? .

All the things mentioned above, cannot happen all by its own. Do you think so?, There is a super power who is doing these things...within our body, outside our body etc...

I can feel that I am something different, not just a body.

Beleive me, Even I used to get such feelings before if God exists or not, I have struggled for 3 yrs.

Now by the Grace of Lord Srihari, Srimad Anandathirtha and guru Raghavendra swamy, I have a not tooo bad, but firm faith that God exits.

As Krishna say " not even a grass will grow without his will"

Everything is happening according to his will. Probably I am not tooo goood in putting into words, what I feel, when I seee all the things happening on this planet, within my body or see others...bear with me and good luch /images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Regards Maya

There are only two ways, either direct perception or faith in God. Most people will not have direct perception, as this is a very rare event (out of thousands hardly one even knows God as He is). So we are left with faith. If someone close to us tells us something is true, we believe them. So we seek those rare individuals who have direct perception, and if we develop a close relationship with them, they can tell us the truth. It is still faith.

But everyone comes to the same problem, theist or atheist. What exists beyond everything? If they say the big bang was the start, then what was before that big bang? What is just outside the shell of the universe? What is outside of that? Whatever surpasses everything else - that is God. Is it so hard to see that something that huge, that omnipresent, would be of intelligence? There is consciousness on earth. Why not a consciousness that exists on a larger scale?

Guest guest

I just wanted to read your reply Gauracandra. It's very nice. It inspired me to say more.

People make a leap of faith: you jump one way or the other.

It seems to me natural to try to achieve the best: let's just see if there is some way we can live forever and hope we find it.

To choose an empirical system which can't even explain yourself is pretty stupid, because there is no hope in it… you're dead, it's all over; curtains. And there's no possibility of verifying the material system since there is no omnipresent authority.

Yet, when you accept God, the reality you percieve is consistent with the personal reality you experience. And you can begin your investigation by hearing, praying, chanting and so many things.

You have to give God signs of your sincerity. You do that and you'll have your proof.

ancient paztriot

Guest guest

Through the practice of Vaidhi bhakti, devotional service practiced according to the instructions given in the scriptures, a person will gain faith and feel the grace of the Lord. He will show you He exists, not in external signs perhaps, but as a feeling in your heart.

At some point, when worshiping or chanting, the small seed of faith in our hearts begins to grow and all our doubts are erased.

Beyond this, a soul who feels natural attraction for Krishna will feel spontaneous affection for Krishna. This is a more advanced stage of devotional practice: raganuga bhakti.

-Murali

Dear lover soul,

A true devotee has not gained his faith from a mere succession or transfer of faith from a guru "faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

"To see/hear is to believe" is not a statement of faith. Faith sees beyond our eyes could reach and beyond our ears could capture of any tiny sounds. Faith is trusting, confidence and loyalty to God.

"Even after getting a guru, it is coming from a person, not Him telling you", this is a sort of a rebellious statement. If "God will ever speak in person, are you sure these atheist will believe? This might arise another blinding questions in their mind.

The Gurus are there to be the witnesses of their own faith to God for the devotees to see the wonder having such faith.

God speaks every second in our lives. Through your heartbeat, through the air and even through the sound of silence, I think this is the most favorite of the spirit of God within us, whenever we are silent. Many people speak too much, that they don't give time to listen to God. We are preoccupied of asking so many things and rushing God to asnwer all their prayers. And if they ask and God is slow in answering it, common people will ready to say, that God doesn't exist or God is not there becasue he is not listening. If we only have even one minute of every day to say "God, please speak and I will listen", God will not only speak to you, but will touch you deep, and you can even see him.

Personally, I know if God is distant to me, becasue If I am silent and I close my eyes and I can see the light in a distant, I know I need to keep track of what He wants for me, and when I close my eyes in silence to speak to Him and I see Him so bright covering me I know I pleased Him and I can feel the tender breeze soothing my soul, the unexplainable joy will enter me that I only wished that the time will freeze to stay like that forever. But the bliss is only temporary just to make us to crave to please Him more so that He will award us later on the eternal Bliss. Just sharing....

Do these atheist can recognise the voice of God when they don't even believe in Him? The flock of sheep recognised their Shepherd, and the cows recognized the Cowherd, they know Him when He speaks and He knows them.

Excerpt from Og Mandino's "Greatest Miracle in the World".

-"How to know if He exists?"-

"Are you blind? Does the sun rise and fall without your witness?

No. You can see ... and the hundred million receptors God have placed in your eyes enable you to enjoy the magic of a leaf, a snowflake, a pond, an eagle, a child, a cloud, a star, a rose, a rainbow ... and the look of love. Count one blessing.

Are you deaf? Can a baby laugh or cry without your attention?

No. You can hear ... and the twenty-four thousand fibers God have built in each of your ears vibrate to the wind in the trees, the tides on the rocks, the majesty of an opera, a robin's plea, children at play ... and the words I love you. Count another blessing.

Are you mute? Do your lips move and bring forth only spittle?

No. You can speak ... as can no other of God's creatures, and your words can calm the angry, uplift the despondent, goad the quitter, cheer the unhappy, warm the lonely, praise the worthy, encourage the defeated, teach the ignorant ... and say I love you. Count another blessing.

Are you paralyzed? Does your helpless form despoil the land?

No. You can move. You are not a tree condemned to a small plot while the wind and world abuses you. You can stretch and run and dance and work, for within you God have designed five hundred muscles, two hundred bones, and seven miles of nerve fiber all synchronized by Him to do your bidding. Count another blessing.

Are you unloved and unloving? Does loneliness engulf you, night and day?

No. No more. For now you know love's secret, that to receive love it must be given with no thought of its return. To love for fulfillment, satisfaction, or pride is no love. Love is a gift on which no return is demanded. Now you know that to love unselfishly is its own reward. And even should love not be returned it is not lost, for love not reciprocated will flow back to you and soften and purify your heart. Count another blessing. Count twice.

Is your heart stricken? Does it leak and strain to maintain your life?

No. Your heart is strong. Touch your chest and feel its rhythm, pulsating, hour after hour, day and night, thirty-six million beats each year, year after year, asleep or awake, pumping your blood through more than sixty thousand miles of veins, arteries, and tubing ... pumping more than six hundred thousand gallons each year. Count another blessing.

Are you diseased of skin? Do people turn in horror when you approach?

No. Your skin is clear and a marvel of creation, needing only that you tend it with soap and oil and brush and care. In time all steels will tarnish and rust, but not your skin. Eventually the strongest of metals will wear, with use, but not that layer that God have constructed around you. Constantly it renews itself, old cells replaced by new, just as the old you is now replaced by the new. Count another blessing.

Are your lungs befouled? Does your breath of life struggle to enter your body?

No. Your portholes to life support you even in the vilest of environments of your own making, and they labor always to filter life-giving oxygen through six hundred million pockets of folded flesh while they rid your body of gaseous wastes. Count another blessing.

Is your blood poisoned? Is it diluted with water and pus?

No. Within your five quarts of blood are twenty-two trillion blood cells and within each cell are millions of molecules and within each molecule is an atom oscillating at more than ten million times each second. Each second, two million of your blood cells die to be replaced by two million more in a resurrection that has continued since your first birth. As it has always been inside, so now it is on your outside. Count another blessing.

Are you feeble of mind? Can you no longer think for yourself?

No. Your brain is the most complex structure in the universe. He knows. Within its three pounds are thirteen billion nerve cells, more than three times as many cells as there are people on your earth. To help you file away every perception, every sound, every taste, every smell, every action you have experienced since the day of your birth, God have implanted, within your cells, more than one thousand billion billion protein molecules. Every incident in your life is there waiting only your recall. And, to assist your brain in the control of your body God have dispersed, throughout your form, four million pain-sensitive structures, five hundred thousand touch detectors, and more than two hundred thousand temperature detectors. No nation's gold is better protected than you. None of your ancient wonders are greater than you.

Why have you betrayed yourself? Why have you cried that all the blessings of humanity were removed from you? Why did you deceive yourself that you were powerless to change your life? Are you without talent, senses, abilities, pleasures, instincts, sensations, and believe in yourself and Him who created you? Are you without hope? Why do you cringe in the shadows, a giant defeated, awaiting only sympathetic transport into the welcome void and dampness of hell? You have so much. Your blessings overflow your cup ... and you have been unmindful of them, like a child spoiled in luxury, since He have bestowed them upon you with generosity and regularity."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If we don't believe that God exists, who are we?

Guest guest

the following is from Sridhar Maharaj.

Our guru maharaja gave the example that if one is born in the darkness of a dungeon, and someone proposes "Let us go see the sun," then the prisoner will carry a lantern in his hand saying "Oh, you will show me the sun?"

"Yes. Come with me. Leave your lantern behind. No light is necessary to see the sun."

"Are you trying to fool me? Nothing can be seen without the help of a light."

His friend will catch him and forcibly take the prisoner into the sunlight. "Do you see the sun?" And the prisoner will say, "Oh, this is the sun! By sunlight alone we can see the sun." One will have that sort of experience when he comes in connection with the truth. Neither calculation, nor evidence, nor witness, but only direct experience is proof that Krsna is there, like the sun.

In the Srimad-Bhagavatam it is said, atma parijnanamayo : what to speak of Krsna, even the conscious unit is self effulgent. A certain section says, "There is God. Surely He exists." Others say, "No, there is no God, He never existed." This quarrel is useless; still it will continue. In a particular section this argument will have no end. Those who have no eyes will be unable to see the sun. They will say there is no sun (mattah para-nistat amsa-lokam ). This misconception will continue for those who deny the existence of both the soul and the Supreme soul. For those who have direct experience, however, there is no question: it exists! But for the owl section who cannot admit the existence of the sun, the sun does not exist. It is something like that. Our own realization of a thing will be the greatest proof of its existence: vastu-tattva-jnana haya krpate.

One may be born blind, but if somehow or other his eyes are opened, he will be astonished to see the particular aspects of the environment. But if one has no vision, he can see no color or figure. Those who have vision will feel, "How can I deny the fact? I have seen it. I am feeling it, it is so magnanimous, so great and so benevolent, I can't deny all these things. You are unfortunate; you cannot see." Some see, some cannot see. In the same place, one can see, another cannot. Those to whom Krsna wishes to reveal himself can see him; others cannot