IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Britney Spears "been into a lot of Indian spiritual religions."

Rate this topic

Too funny. Just like this guy who claimed I was going to hell for not being a Christian. Can't remember the verse but I refered to one by Paul. He then said, "Paul who?"

bhavini, ritvik just means officiating priest. Like in the olden days a kysatriya would want to do a sacrifice of some kind so he would employ some expert priest to do it on his behalf.

Currently some disciples of Srila Prabhupada are claiming that Srila Prabhupada appointed such priests to act on his behalf afer he left his body.

inquisitive is one of them, and that's the only category people like that can be placed in.

...if only we could get her to buy a Bhagavat Gita and snap a few pictures of her holding it.... ;-) (from a sankirtan manager's dream)

Kulapavana: ...if only we could get her to buy a Bhagavat Gita and snap a few pictures of her holding it.... ;-) (from a sankirtan manager's dream)

Well, that's fun for a quick PR buzz. I'd rather get her to sit down and read a Bhagavad-gita and ask a few intelligent questions about it. She's wanted to be Madonna since she was little. It may be a while before she has enough experience with fame and money to actually look for something else.

I doubt her interest is spirituality is genuine, just like Madonna's interest in kabalah.

"I'd rather get her to sit down and read a Bhagavad-gita and ask a few intelligent questions about it"

I believe that she could benefit much from doing service to the sankirtan mission, even if such service was done unknowingly.

Alas, both things are just halava dreams... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't know Spears well enough to say her interest in spirituality is'nt genuine. There may be something there. She is distracted no doubt by her new independance, sexual freedom, as well as the responsiblities for developing her career. I know that, as committed as I'd like to think I am, my pathetic little career's demands cut into my spiritual life.

I just don't think that some off-the-cuff remark by some celebrity (or former celebrity) that indicates they have some interest beyond making money, getting ripped, and sex are anything to get all excited about. What's exciting is what I have done today to increase my own faith. Even more exciting? Anything I've done that helps increase someone else's faith.

Srila Prabhupada could see right away that Westerners love to emulate celebrities and used it expertly to promote his mission (George Harison was a good exmple). Later others in our movement tried to do the same, but because they had very little love or respect for the people they were using, they failed miserably... I say use'm, not abuse'm! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Guest guest

obviously like a lot of celebrities she has been

practicing hatha yoga, without being told that it is "hindu".

Kulapavana: I say use'm, not abuse'm!

My perception is that Srila Prabhupada did more than just "use" Harrison's celebrity. He was even more interested in helping him cultivate his Krishna consciousness gradually. His celebrity was part of the package, but Srila Prabhupada didn't exploit it as some like to think. That's what's been missing in later devotees' dealings with celebrities. Rather than seeing them as someone who needs Krishna, they saw them as big names and wallets to milk.

Babhru: "My perception is that Srila Prabhupada did more than just "use" Harrison's celebrity. He was even more interested in helping him cultivate his Krishna consciousness gradually. His celebrity was part of the package, but Srila Prabhupada didn't exploit it as some like to think"

Certainly, Srila Prabhupada did that even with very "useless" people, thats where the love and respect for people comes in. Exploitation occurs when you just take something from somebody without giving him something at least just as valuable in return. Some people just dont realize what Prabhupada gave them...

Guest guest

"Exploitation occurs when you just take something from somebody without giving him something at least just as valuable in return. Some people just dont realize what Prabhupada gave them... "

Always nice to hear from you and Babhru, Kulapavana… and Theist, Garacandra, Mahak, Shiva, etc.

Now your statement makes me wonder how much we try to exploit Prabhupada and Krsna. What are we giving back in renumeration?

Are we even giving our hearts and minds? Hmmm, 30 years and counting…

Augh, not appropriate for this thread. I don't want to discuss it anyway. Nevermind.

ancient paztriot

yes, we will forever be in their (guru and Krishna) debt. when we realize that - it is easy to be humble... but we should never stop trying to pay off that debt, by doing humble service to their mission.

Real side note /images/graemlins/wink.gif ...all this debate about guru qualifications and matha superiority is in a way reflection of our desire to exploit "the best possible guru" we can.