IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Govindaram

How Long ago was Lord Sri Ramachandra present on this Earth?

Rate this topic

Sri Ramachandra appears in every Treta-yuga, but the Ramayana of Valmiki may have been written in the 24th Divya-yuga of the present manvantara (we are now in the 28th Divya-yuga). Valmiki was the Vyasa for the 24th Divya-yuga, and performed the task of compiling scriptures at that time.

Time of Sri Rama' Appearance

Q: Have you heard of the time interval between Rama and Krsna avatars?

A: (Gerald Surya) It is commonly assumed that Rama appeared in the previous Treta yuga. Many sources (Rupa Gosvami, Devi Bhagavata, Brahmanda Purana, etc.) say Rama appeared in the 24th cycle. Krsna appeared in the 28th cycle. The interval = 4 caturyugas + 1 Dvapara yuga + some of Treta yuga comes out to between 19 and 20 million years.

source: http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/tattvas2.htm#7

It is Srila Prabhupada's view that Sri Ramachandra's last appearance was not more than 2 million years ago (i.e. the previous Treta Yuga) [from Bhagavad Gita 4.1 purport]:

"In the Mahabharata (Santi-parva 348.51-52) we can trace out the history of the Gita as follows:

treta-yugadau ca tato vivasvan manave dadau

manus ca loka-bhrty-artham sutayeksvakave dadau

iksvakuna ca kathito vyapya lokan avasthitah

"In the beginning of the Treta-yuga [millennium] this science of the relationship with the Supreme was delivered by Vivasvan to Manu. Manu, being the father of mankind, gave it to his son Maharaja Iksvaku, the king of this earth planet and forefather of the Raghu dynasty in which Lord Ramacandra appeared." Therefore, Bhagavad-gita existed in the human society from the time of Maharaja Iksvaku.

At the present moment we have just passed through five thousand years of the Kali-yuga, which lasts 432,000 years. Before this there was the Dvapara-yuga (800,000 years), and before that there was Treta-yuga (1,200,000 years). Thus, some 2,005,000 years ago, Manu spoke the Bhagavad-gita to his disciple and son Maharaja Iksvaku, the king of this planet earth.

Ikshvaku is one of Ramachandra's forefathers, and he was present roughly two million years ago according to Srila Prabhupada's view.

Saying that Valmiki wrote the Ramayana in the 24th divya-yuga does not mean that Ramachandra did not appear in the present divya-yuga as well.

Yeah, it's confusing but I'll try to explain clearly.

We are in Kali yuga right now, which is the last yuga in the Maha yuga which consists of Satya, Treta, Dwapar and Kali.

There are 71 Maha yugas in one manvantara.

14 manvantaras in one kalpa.

2 kalpas make the day and night of Brahma.

360 such days make one year in Brahma's life.

And 100 years make His whole life.

And yes all these repetions of yuga's include the same avatars but I think if I'm not mistaken Chaitanya Mahaprabhu made a rare and kind appearance in this kali yuga which is really fortunate for us.

Guest guest

So does this mean half the universe exists without the supervision of Brahma… 'because he's sleeping?

Guest guest

During the time of Pralaya when all the planets merge in universal waters, all the souls go back to Godhead and rest there and take rebirth when Brahma wakes up according to their karma. There is no creation during the sleep time of Brahma.

So as Jndas says:

Valmiki was the Vyasa for the 24th Divya-yuga

We are now in the 28th Divya-yuga

----

So this means 4 cycles of Yuga's before:

The Valmiki Ramayana was written so

17,748,000 years ago

Is that right?

Guest guest

Yeah I'd say it's about that long ago, It's hard to say when in Treta yuga it was written but it was sung by Shri Ram's children at a young age and plus Shri Ram loved for a VERY LONG time on Earth and then when he left, Dwapar yuga commences.

Sorry the previous post was mine, forgot to login

The figure has to be around the "17 millions", I'd say since it counts the full 25th, 26th, and 27th maha yugas plus a kali yuga from the 24th maha yuga and a bit of the treta yuga before that plus all the time til the present day in the this mahayuga. Sorry to keep rambling /images/graemlins/blush.gif