IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Leather forced

Rate this topic

Every endeavor is covered by some kind of fault. Just don't buy and wear them when not at work. Leather is not so bad. It's the slaughtering process that is. A cow dies a natural death and some people will take their hides and make shoes and I might add drum heads for mrdunga's.

Devotee's that criticize someone for wearing leather shoes at work need to ask themselves if they are still slaughtering cows by drinking Western milk.

I am a fairly hardcore vegan but still would wear leather shoes at work if I had no choice. Especially if I had a family to support.

I can really appreciate and understand your concern. I still hate buying vegetables from markets that also sell meat. But what to do?

But having said all that you may have a way out. There is a leather substitute called pleather. This was made for people like us. It is used for coats and shoes as a leather substitute. Run a google search on pleather.

to read more on pleather http://www.cowsarecool.com/mc.html

Hare Krsna

Guest guest

I occasionally wear leather that too in unavoidable situations. I was only curious, but I will check that out, Thank you.

Here in the West great importance is being placed on leather dress. It is rather gross but it is being taken as stylish. So as a protest against the pervasive slaughter of cows and anything connected with that practice it is best to avoid it.

Here is an excerpt from Prabhupada on a similar question I think you will enjoy.

Ian Polsen: May I join the kértana in the streets over the weekend?

Prabhupäda: Huh? Yes, whenever you get opportunity, kértana. Yes. Very nice.

Ian Polsen: Dressed as I am?

Prabhupäda: Hm?

Ian Polsen: Dressed as I am?

Prabhupäda: Why not? Dress is not very essential.

Ian Polsen: There is another question, Your Grace. I wear leather shoes, and I know they come from animals...

Prabhupäda: Huh?

Ian Polsen: ...which have been slaughtered for this. Should I stop wearing leather shoes?

Prabhupäda: Well, that also you can continue. That is not... Just like we are using so many things made of skin. But as far as possible, you avoid. There are many shoes without skin, nowadays they are available. First of all try to understand the philosophy. It is very nice attitude that you have.... Coversation London July 31,1972

Hare Krsna