IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sunanda

outside the temple, thanx God !

Rate this topic

i'd like your opinion:

i'm a devotee, chanting 16 rounds... i live in a flat with my wife, studying, working... but when i'm in association with devotees i often think of them as fanatics, very into rituals... i had an indian boy at home for 1 night, and he was telling me what i had to do all the time. i was so upset.

when i took initation, after a few days i couldn't stand being around devotees always telling me what to do all the time. i mean, i'm not some some freak, just western educated boy, but i think we have a problem always pointing other devotees. i would never live in a temple, it's just too heavy. i'm so good at home with my deities, what do you think about that ?

Guest guest

IN my opinion, you can reach God from whereever you are. Its the devotion that counts and not the place where you stay or live. IN 18th chapter of Gita, Krishna says that as long as one performs his ascribed duties and keep praying to Him without any attachment to the results you can reach Him. Everyone cannot become saint or lead a saintly life and each has their own ascribed duties. By being in family life itself you can advance in spiritual maturity. There is no compulsion that one has to definetly visit temples and live around devotees all the time. You can visit temple only when you feel comfortable.

this is what I feel from my experience. But I dont belong to ISKON, but a brahmin by birth. So I dont know what ISKON rules are. May be you might consider their opinion too as you follow their principles. But you can certainly reach GOD in my opinion and get His blessings as long as one keeps himself pure in his activities.

MS

drowning man cannot help himself or anyone else from stopping drowning....

PS. it is not my opinion.

PSS. if what you both saying was true - Krishna and all the acharya would preach this.

lived outside the temple.

But it takes some honest introspection on our part. Are we really just as Krsna conscious outside the temple? Or do we tend to waste more time by watching tv etc.?

Myself I always feel more inspired just the moment I walk into a temple and see the murti of Prabhupada and the Deities or just see the temple residents about their respective services.

But I also find that if I start using the temple as a hangout and become too familiar with the setting I lose that inspiration and start to feel it's my clubhouse or something.

Spiritual life is always like walking on a razors edge, in the temple or out.

I would go nuts. I love going to the temple. If politics and issues arise so what? I need to see Sri Sri Radha Madhan Mohan and Prabhupad. Sure you can have them in your home but the thing is that there is nothing like association with the devotees even if they are a little bit cooky. Thats what makes the experiance fun for me.

When my wife comes here, we will build our life around the temple and spiritual atmosphere

Hare krsna

Guest guest

" i would never live in a temple, it's just too heavy. i'm so good at home with my deities, what do you think about that ? "

that you are right, only a little minority is fit to be a monk... and krsna consciousness is for every one, not only monks... a true religion is not subjected to the social position (monk, policemen, employee, baby sitter, musician, sweeper, bricklayer) of the practitioneer

o would also to observe that if temple devotees are oppressive and fanatics very soon they will be no more temple devotees or perhaps even devotees

Guest guest

In 1974 Srila Prabhupada told me I didn't have to live in the temple. He told me "thoroughly read and assimilate my books" and chant the Mahamantra. I haven't lived in an ISKCON temple since then. Admittedly, I have lived in other temples for varying periods, but no-one has ever told me "you must stay in the temple" since 1974.

Murali

THis was talking about living in a temple...I misunderstood.

Yeah I woudnt live in a temple because the lifestyle is to rigouras(sp) for me.

I have lived our temple in vancouver a few years ago and although it was blast i coudnt do it again.

yeah thanx for your answer, i took initiation from Narayan Maharaj because even if i like a lot Iskcon devotee i didn't want to be a part of this institution because of many problems in the past. but i have nothing against Iskcon sincere devotees. also, we have also our fanatic devotees, but i just feel like the monk life is not for me, an that sometimes some devotees are too preaching in this way: "give up everything..." i know that's the goal,but it must be very gradual to be effective. i'm materially educated, and i need more to be convinced that simplist arguments by devotees who don't have an idea how to communicate with women, or people just having a different life (working life for example). thanx God, i was preached by some young devotees, skateboarding, into punk music, not fanatical...

Guest guest

the temple often times is housing neophytes and converts,

as has been said ,a convert is more enthusiastic

over the form then the substance,for him form

is overly stressed.

so whn confronted by new monks or even older monks,

and they give instructions ,see this as mercy from

god, realize that all things and people are following

what God has them do, don't take their over enthusiastic

attitude so seriously, take them as being sincere

to do what is right for you.

To live in the ashram is for the dedicated souls

who have no other plans then to serve god as much as possible, don't be offended by their sometimes

over bearing attitude, take it with a nod and a smile,and see the underlying unity behind all things and at all times.

Guest guest

In my humble opinion, one can call Krishna with sincere prayers from whereever he or she is and Krishna responds to our Love by coming to us.

When we take one step towards Diviine, The Divine takes ten steps towards us.

IMHO, fanatics can be found anywhere. Devotees can live at home and do just fine. Tho they usually need some type of training. I may get called up on that last comment, but I have run into many who had no training that were rude, know-it-alls, and so on, having little knowledge of Vaisnava etiquette or how things are done. However, with that said, to try to make temple life a monopoly is a mistake at best. Householders are more often the sane devotees. :-)

And this "give up everything" is not for everyone. Its often said by those who gain a sense of power from it. Its much more important to preach love of God/Krishna, then renunciation. Even Haryankasipu was very austere and renounced at one point.

Guest guest

Yes this is what I too meant Pritaaji. I guess you and I are having simillar thoughts which i notice in most your replies to me in other posts too.