IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

is hindu bashing becoming the norm ?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

this article tells of american dialogue within government with an anti hindu flavor.

here we see radio used as an anti hindu platform in america.

Demonising Hinduism, Hollywood style

GURMUKH SINGH

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ SUNDAY, DECEMBER 09, 2001 01:26:52 AM ]

NEW DELHI: Paramount Pictures' recent release Lara Croft: Tomb Raider which demonises Hindu Gods is yet another example of stereotyping of Hinduism by Hollywood.Expectedly, the film has drawn criticism from Hindu organisations in LA who have threatened to sue the producers if the offending portion is not expurgated.

Shot partly at the famous Angkor Wat temple in Cambodia, the film shows statues of Hanuman becoming demons and attacking the heroine of the film. Croft, the heroine played by Angelina Jolie, kills the demons with her guns. "Hollywood has always thrived on stereotypes. But Lara Croft is not even an intelligent way of demonising. It is sheer stupidity. So I don't get offended by what they portray stupidly," says director Shyam Benegal.

The stereotyping of Hinduism by Hollywood goes back to 1939 when the film Gunga Din portrayed Hindus as bloodthirsty "thugs" who worship Goddess Kali and offer her human sacrifices in the presence of an insane Hindu priest. "I know how stupidly they demonised Gandhi (in Gunga Din) who was fighting the British in those days. By the way, it was a British film, not from Hollywood," Benegal corrects. Some of the Hollywood films which have depicted Hinduism outrageously include The Party, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, The Rains of Ranchipur, and Eyes Wide Shut, Thirteen Women and Holy Smoke. The Party revolves around an Indian doctor named Hrundi Bakhshi, who is depicted as a blithering idiot who stumbles at every step. Played by Peter Sellers, Dr Hrundi is the centre of all humour throughout the film.

Steven Spielberg's Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom depicted Indians as barbarians who eat snakes, bats and monkeys. It showed how the Indian Maharaja offers his white guests snakes and bats as dinner and monkey head as dessert. And Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut shows sexual orgies amid Sanskrit chants.Interestingly, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom became notorious for creating a new PG-13 rating (before it there were only PG and R ratings) which meant that anyone below 13 could watch the film only if he or she was accompanied by an adult.

The Rains of Ranchipur and The Party, which also portray relationships between an Indian man and a white woman, show how drooling Indian men are doomed. Films like Thirteen Women and Holy Smoke show gurus and sadhus seducing white women.Not surprisingly, Hinduism and its symbols have been used by pop divas like Madonna and Alanis Morisette who have vulgarised bindi, menhdi, and sanskrit slokas

Pat robertson

who said

""Hinduism and many of the occult activities that come out of the Orient are inspired by demons and demon worship.... There's this concept that all religions are the same and all are good. That is not true. The worship of the Devil is not good." - "700 Club," September 11, 1989

"When I said during my presidential bid that I would only bring Christians and Jews into the government, I hit a firestorm. `What do you mean?' the media challenged me. `You're not going to bring atheists into the government? How dare you maintain that those who believe in the Judeo Christian values are better qualified to govern America than Hindus and Muslims?' My simple answer is, `Yes, they are.'" --from Pat Robertson's "The New World Order,"

for more on Pats agenda

Then there is the powerfull southern baptist association,

they publish anti hindu literature.

this is a good article on this phenomena

of course the situation in europe is being led by the vatican and eastern orthodox establishment, using political

influence they are hard at work trying to stop the spread of hinduism.

Guest guest

this is happening in russia

and armenia ,for years supported and led by

"christian" powers.

Why the Orthodox Church has taken to bible bashing its rivals

By ROBYN DIXON, Herald Correspondent in Moscow

WHEN Baptist missionaries invaded a small, conservative village, not far

from the communist stronghold of Smolensk, several hundred kilometres

west of Moscow, it was too much for the local Orthodox priest.

Watching the slow parade of his competitors handing out their Protestant

brochures, he was seized by a hot surge of ungodly rage. He snatched a

Bible from one of the Baptists and whacked him over the head with it.

After suffering 74 years of religious persecution in the Soviet Union,

something very strange is happening in the Russian Orthodox Church. It

has become the new oppressor, trying to hound out foreign churches and

missionaries competing to save the souls of Russians.

Harassment of members of foreign religions by Orthodox priests has

turned violent on several occasions.

The Hare Krishna organisation claims a Russian Orthodox priest led an

attack on one of its temples in the southern Russian town of

Rostov-on-Don during a religious meeting in June last year. Ten Hare

Krishnas went to hospital after they were beaten with shovels and clubs.

One was unconscious for a week. The organisation claims another of its

devotees in the town of Nizhny Novogorod was grabbed by a priest after

she tried give him a Hare Krishna leaflet.

The group alleges the priest took the young woman to his church, beat

her and then took her to the police station, demanding she be punished.

Despite the religious freedoms permitted since perestroika, there is

still not much religious tolerance in Russia. In ancient times, the

Church was conservative and xenophobic. Today, it remains suspicious of

outsiders.

Recently, the Russian Orthodox Church and the Communist Party formed a

strange alliance to try to undermine foreign churches. Both pushed for a

law that would restrict the activities of most of the churches operating

in Russia.

Guest guest

The BBC takes a swipe at the festival -- "Diwali is a time for giving

and receiving. But the gift-giving has a darker side in the shape of

bribery, and year on year the presents are growing ever more

extravagant." As if some Christmas "presents" don't serve much the same

purpose...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3211981.stm

knowing that indians are the richest immigrant group in the states, you would think they would choose their words a bit more carefully. who are they to say that hinduism is this and hinduism is that? what right do they have?

what can we do to stop this ????

Well people dont like being exposed. Vedic culture is like one of the hottest things right now as it exposes western so called culture to be nothing but sex, meat eating, drugs etc etc etc.

I mean they all have misconceptions about vedic culture so they dont understand. They have put us all in a group called "Hindu" a word that doesnt exist in the sastras

What can we do?

Let people become aware about such misidentifications and.....

......Just Chant Hare Krsna and depend on Krsna.

As Krsna Bhakti will pervade everything and a golden age will dawn in Kaliyuga.

There is a devotee(who I wont name) predicted to become the President of the United states.

Guest guest

so don't think I am being prejudiced. They say everything happens for a reason, so maybe Hindus are 'destined' to be insulted and humiliated in this manner? It should be the resukt of karma. As hindus are devoid of self-respect and courage, they have become easy targets. It is that simple. So we only have ourselvs to blame, our own spinelessness.