IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
vanamali

Happy Deepawali!

Rate this topic

Happy Diwali/Deepawali to all you bhaktas!

Here is part of an article about Deepawali from www.indiayogi.com

"The most common legend related to Diwali is from the epic of the Ramayana (a legendary story of Lord Rama). King Dashratha had three wives namely Kaushalaya, Keykayee and Sumitra and four sons Rama, Bharat, Laxmana and Shatrughan. Rama was the son of Queen Kaushalaya and Bharat was the son of Queen Keykayee. Keykayee wanted Bharat to be the next King while the King Dashratha wanted Rama, his eldest son to be the King. But Keykayee made full use of the two wishes King Dasharatha had once promised Keykayee and asked for sending Rama to exile for the period of fourteen years. During that time Lord Rama fought and won tenuous struggles in the south part of the Indian sub-continent (which some people believe is now Sri Lanka) killing the king of Demons, Ravana who had forcibly taken away his wife Sita. Diwali marks his victorious return to his kingdom, Ayodhya.

Another reason for the celebration of Diwali is that it marks the killing of the evil Narkasura at the hands of Krishna (a Hindu God). Naraka is believed to have abducted 16,000 women. Krishna killed him and rescued these women whom he later married. Naraka is the personification of hell and is believed to be the monsoon during which all activities come to a stand still.

In South India, the story widely associated with Diwali is that of Narasimha, the man-lion incarnation of Vishnu. According to a legend, Hiranyakshipu was an evil demon king. He was unjust and cruel to his people. However, he was almost invincible, having extracted a boon from Brahma (the creator) that he would be killed neither by beast nor man, neither inside nor outside, neither during the day nor at night. When his atrocities became unbearable, the gods sought Vishnu's help. Assuming his fifth incarnation of Narasimha, the man-lion, Vishnu killed Hiranyakshipu with his claws in the courtyard just before daybreak, hence steering clear of the boundaries of the boon.

Diwali or Deepawali is celebrated for a period of five days. The First day is called Dhanteras or Dhantrayodashi, which falls on the thirteenth day of the month of Ashwin. 'Dhan' means wealth and this day is generally observed to acknowledge and welcome wealth. Lakshmi the Goddess of wealth (wife of Lord Vishnu-the preserver) is believed to enter houses on this day, therefore entrances are made colourful with lovely traditional motifs of Rangoli (designs made with coloured powder) to welcome the Goddess of wealth and prosperity. To indicate her long-awaited arrival, small footprints are drawn with rice flour and vermilion powder all over the houses. Lamps are kept burning all through the nights, since Lakshmi is said not to enter a dark house. The lamps also welcome home the spirits of dead ancestors, who are believed to visit on this auspicious night. In addition, the light frightens away any evil spirit that might be wandering about near the house on this night. In the state of Orissa, lamps are lit to light up the dark path so the spirits of ancestors can find their way back to heaven. In modern times, diyas have been replaced by wax candles and colored electric bulbs. In villages cattle are adorned and worshipped by farmers as they form the main source of their income. Cows are offered special veneration as they are supposed to be the incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi and therefore they are adorned and worshipped on this day."

[image]http://store4.yimg.com/I/lotus-sculpture_1760_2232403[/image]

Yes, well i dont know what exactly you mean by like indian people do but at our temple we are celebrating diwali and govardhan puja.

I am also in a play about Ram,Laxman,sita and I am playing hanuman.

Diwali and Goverdhan puja are on my birthday this year

Jai

Hare Krsna

Well, I sure hope I dont forget.

This is my biggest role to date, my first big role was shatrugan a few years ago which got me a lot of attention.

The devotee girls started talking to me after that but now I am married and back then I was shy.

Sigh

Hare krsna

May your days be cool, calm and bright.

As dew drops, may your happiness rain every night.

Get blessings from the Earth and the sky.

For all your troubles must die.

Like a gem, may your face shine.

A beautiful glory, with a smile benign.

May your voice bring melodies to all ears,

So sacred and sweet be your words.

Guest guest

CELEBRATING LORD RAMA'S RETURN TO AYODHYA

When Lord Bharata understood that Lord Ramacandra was returning to the capital, Ayodya, He immediately took upon His own head Lord Ramacandra’s wooden shoes and came out from His camp at Nandigama. Lord Bharata was accompanied by ministers, priests and other respectable citizens, by professional musicians vibrating pleasing musical sounds, and by learned brahmanas loudly chanting Vedic hymns. After offering the wooden shoes before Lord Ramacandra, Lord Bharata stood with folded hands, His eyes full of tears, and Lord Ramacandra bathed Bharata with tears while embracing Him with both arms for a long time.

The citizens of Ayodya, upon seeing their King return after a long absence, offered Him flower garlands, waved their upper cloths, and danced in great jubilation. Thereafter, having been welcomed by His brother Bharata, Lord Ramacandra entered the city of Ayodya in the midst of a festival. Lord Ramacandra, fully bathed and His head clean-shaven, dressed Himself very nicely and was decorated with a garland and ornaments. Thus He shone brightly, surrounded by His brothers and wife, who were similarly dressed and ornamented. Being pleased by the full surrender and submission of Lord Bharata, Lord Ramacandra then accepted the throne of the state. He cared for the citizens exactly like a father, and the citizens, being fully engaged in their occupational duties of varna and ashram, accepted Him as their father.

Diwali ceremony can be observed in the temple by illuminating 100's of candles, in different parts of the temple, and offering special Prasad to the Deity. This ceremony was observed by the inhabitants of Ayodhya, the Kingdom of Lord Ramacandra, while Lord Ramacandra was out of His Kingdom due to His 14 years banishment by the order of His father. His younger step-brother Bharata, took charge of the Kingdom and the day on which Lord Ramacandra took back the charge again from His brother, and seated on the throne, this is observed as Diwali function. This is the original idea of Diwali, and Dipabali. Dipabali means the same thing--Dipa means candles, and bali means numerous. When numerous candles are lighted it is called Dipabali. In India, this Dipabali function is celebrated in a special auspicious occasion. In India, in all Vaisnava temples, this ceremony is observed and 100's of people are given Prasad according to the capacity of the temple. (SB 9.10.36-50, letter from Srila Prabhupada Oct.10,1968)

Whether one is a demigod or a demon, a man or a creature other than man, such as a beast or bird, everyone should worship Lord Ramacandra, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who appears on this earth just like a human being. There is no need of great austerities or penances to worship the Lord, for He accepts even a small service offered by His devotee. Thus He is satisfied, and as soon as He is satisfied, the devotee is successful. Indeed, Lord Sri Ramacandra brought all the devotees of Ayodya back home, back to Godhead. ( Sri Hanumanji SB 5.19.8)

Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare, Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare