IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Can ya chant on yer fingers?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

there are three divisions on each finger of your right hand (not including the thumb).

If you count the three divisions on the four fingers the total will equal to twelve. If you count like that 9 times that will equal to 108.

Can I chant on my fingers or is this offensive?

Guest guest

Why, you can even chant the holy name or mantra in your mind too, listening carefully, what you chant. In this Kaliyuga, people are in a way, blessed by the God to do good merits (punya) even in mind that would accrue, and the bad deeds (papa) on mental plane that would not accrue any sin. In fact, the holy name or japa should slowly decend from your tongue inwards till heart and navel. When it reaches navel, you and the holy name become one.

chant and count with anything you want

with mala is better because is in itself sacred, do it when you can, but if not possible, count in any way you want

(i use sometimes my cellphone ...... when it writes messages, it gives the numbers of the letters typed)

Guest guest

Only right hand fingers need be used. The lower two divisioins of the middle finger are never to be used (or crossed just like the main bead of the mala). Thumb is not used for counting, but used only for pointing towards the divisions of the fingers. Start 1 with the second division of the ring finger and go down and then go clockwise till the top of the last finger (small finger), then continue using the top divisions till the top of the forefinger, then go till the last division of the foreginger. This makes 10 in all. Now count 1 on the second division of the left hand. Now similar to japamala, start counting in the reverse direction on the right hand fingers from the lowest division of the foreginger to the second division of the ringfinger in the anticlockwise direction to make next 10 and so on. After ten such rounds, for last 8 chantings, count only the divisions of the forefinger and last finger and the top of all the divisions. That makes it 108. It comes easily by practice. It is very helpful, when you don't have japamala and you can also do japa in bus or train without others knowing it.

Guest guest

I am one of the lowly creatures of The God with a name to this body as Mohan Pujar hailing from India and working for Govt. of India. Thanks for your interest.

Guest guest

Well, I clean my hands often, but aren't they the dirtiest things we have.

Isn't holy name then being chanted on a "dirty mala" if we chant on our fingers?

I am one of the lowly creatures of The God with a name to this body as Mohan Pujar hailing from India and working for Govt. of India. Thanks for your interest.

You are a very humble soul. You surely have very nice realisations. Please do share with us!

Was this description of counting in this particular way with fingers given in some scripture?

Hare Krishna!

As Lord Caitanya was preparing to tour South India Lord Nityananda spoke trying to convince Him to take a servant with Him.

TRANSLATION

“Since Your two hands will always be engaged in chanting and counting the holy names, how will You be able to carry the waterpot and external garments?

PURPORT

... Sri Caitanya Mahäprabhu introduced the system of chanting the holy name of the Lord a fixed number of times daily, as confirmed in this verse (tomära dui hasta baddha näma-gaëane). Caitanya Mahäprabhu used to count on His fingers. While one hand was engaged in chanting, the other hand kept the number of rounds.

is to be repeated in order to cleanse ourselves from within. The holy name is purest in itself and will not be affected by your fingers at all. So to say, we should not utter the name of the God at all, because, we use the same mouth to hurt, abuse others, don't we? But God is all purity personified, Shuddha Chaitanya along with His namme, so external factors cannot make them dirty. Remember, first name came into existence, form came later on. And for people like us, who have not seen God face-to-face, holy name is the only solace to reach Him.