IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Haridham

Making fun of the Mahamantra

Rate this topic

Hare Krsna everyone.

Now I think most of the indian crowd might know who Dev Anand is.

I am just wondering if anyone saw the movie where he makes fun of the the Hare krsna devotees/mantra.

IT goes something like

Dum maro dum

Mit Jaye Gum

Bolo Shuba Sham

Hare Krsna Hare Ram

THe song means Dum maro dum(its a smoking pot reference, which means while taking a wiff)

Mit Jaye Gum(all your troubles will go away)

Bolo shuba Sham(say all day and all night)

Hare Krsna Hare Ram

Now at first I was kinda upset about this, i still kinda am but he probably has no clue what krsna consciousness is because he thought of it like this but atleast he mentioned the MahaMantra which a lot of the indian community probably heard.

What are your opinions on this?

Hare Krsna

Haridham

Hare krishna mantra is = Krishna himself

And krishna = Above every duality in this world and is beyond everything.

So : you cannot offend him = you cannot offend his mantra.

This is something that krishna himself says when Duryodhana wants to bind him in chains (in the middle of mahabharatha) . That is, You cannot offend krishna and if you try to offend krishna you will humiliate yourself.

Therefore, we can conclude that they are offending themselves by trying to misuse hare krishna mantra /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So dude, Calm your mind... make it sit comfortably in a chair called equaminity and make it think about what it wants to do for krishna. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hare Krishna

I think the song is maybe poking fun at the sadhus

in India who smoke 'the wackibaci', there are many,

but still they are trying for KC.

Smoking ganja is not considered so bad in India,

although in a lecture of His Divine Grace,

Srila Prabhupada.. he says his spiritual master was

very very strict in this matter so you can see

why His Divine Grace is so much as well:)))

Guest guest

I have seen the whole movie by Devanand in which the song Hare krishna Hare ram comes. There is nothing in that movie criticising Hare Krishna people. Basically the movie was about how the young college goers indulge themselves in drugs and spoil their youth. It is true that hare krishna's were called as hippies and who were doping (some of them in the past without understanding krishna consciousness) and the song was to portray how a drug addict would behave when he or she is under its influence. When they get drunk or drugged naturally they forget all morals and start all nonsense and that is what it was portrayed in the song as how those addicts sing criticising everything in halucination. It was used just to create a realistic situation and not to ridicule. If it was to ridicule Krisna, then Hindus would not have kept quiet, because Krishna is God for ISKON only for few years, while for Hindus He is for there for ever.

Guest guest

>>Krishna is God for ISKON only for few years, while for Hindus He is for there for ever.

Don't know the movie but this might relate.

Sometimes demoniac nonbelievers, not understanding the potency of the holy name, make fun of the Vaisnavas when the Vaisnavas chant the Hare Krsna mahä-mantra. This joking is also beneficial for such persons. Srimad-Bhägavatam, Sixth Canto, Second Chapter, verse 14, indicates that the chanting of the Hare Krsna mahä-mantra, even in joking, in the course of ordinary discussion, in indicating something extraneous, or in negligence, is called nämäbhäsa, which is chanting that is almost on the transcendental stage. This nämäbhäsa stage is better than nämäparädha. Nämäbhäsa awakens the supreme remembrance of Lord Visnu. When one remembers Lord Visnu, he becomes free from material enjoyment. Thus he gradually comes forward toward the transcendental service of the Lord and becomes eligible to chant the holy name of the Lord in the transcendental position. Purport CC Adi 17.200

>>Krishna is God for ISKON only for few years, while for Hindus He is for there for ever.

Sounds like some anonymous person is envious of ISKCON. (However, my comment is meant for the second small post that went out of the way to point this out, and not the first larger post.)

Actually, our parampara goes back to Krishna Himself and is nothing new. We may have converted, but what we converted to is eternal. Everyone is spirit soul, not the body.

In reply to:

--

well actually most indians dont even consider Krsna god. They think he one of many indian gods which is outright false.

By the way iskcon is part of the Brahma Madhava Gaudiya Sampradaya which is eternel, not just a few years old.

Hare Krsna

Guest guest

I am not envious of ISKON. Why should I and for what. I meant to say that the organization ISKON is young although it may have roots from Indian Mutt who are praying to Krishna for ever. Not in any other sense to put down. ISKON in abroad primarily consists of obviously converted people while its roots in India have hindus and what I meant to say that HHindus will not keep quiet meant that any hindu whether he bbelongs to vaishnava mutt or smartha mutt, they all pray to Krishna as GOD and all the temples have Krishna Sannadhi and hence no hindu would have kept quiet if someone ridicule Krishna. Its a wrong notion Mr. Haridam that you are thinking that Indians dont even consider Krishna as GOD. You cant talk like this unless you have actually lived in India or visited many Indian temples. Its better not to give loose words when we dont know something. Guruvayur Krishna Temple is very famous in South India, where Narayaneeyam a famous epic which is condensed version of Bagavatham was written by Narayana Battadri when he was paralysed. Krishna appeard in front of him and He cured his paralysis. All perumal temple in tamilnadu are Krishna temple where Narayana/Krishna is depicted in different names. Parthasarathy Temple is very well known and famous for more than 1000 years in Madras, tamilnadu which is my home town and I was born and grew up in His sorroundings at Triplicane, madras(Partha- refers to Arjuna and Sarathy refers to charioteer..Krishna is worshipped and called as Parthasarathy there. Your views about the Hindus in India would totally change if you guys visit India and move with Hindus there.

Another famous temple is in Udipi where Bagawan is worshipped as a small child. You can see Krishna only through the nine holes in the wall of His Sannidhanam and the nine holes represent the nine holes of human body implying thhat He can be reached by controlling the senses.

I can tell several things like this annd the forum will be insuffient

I am not envious of ISKON. Why should I and for what. I meant to say that the organization ISKON is young although it may have roots from Indian Mutt who are praying to Krishna for ever. Not in any other sense to put down. ISKON in abroad primarily consists of obviously converted people while its roots in India have hindus and what I meant to say that HHindus will not keep quiet meant that any hindu whether he bbelongs to vaishnava mutt or smartha mutt, they all pray to Krishna as GOD and all the temples have Krishna Sannadhi and hence no hindu would have kept quiet if someone ridicule Krishna. Its a wrong notion Mr. Haridam that you are thinking that Indians dont even consider Krishna as GOD. You cant talk like this unless you have actually lived in India or visited many Indian temples. Its better not to give loose words when we dont know something. Guruvayur Krishna Temple is very famous in South India, where Narayaneeyam a famous epic which is condensed version of Bagavatham was written by Narayana Battadri when he was paralysed. Krishna appeard in front of him and He cured his paralysis. All perumal temple in tamilnadu are Krishna temple where Narayana/Krishna is depicted in different names. Parthasarathy Temple is very well known and famous for more than 1000 years in Madras, tamilnadu which is my home town and I was born and grew up in His sorroundings at Triplicane, madras(Partha- refers to Arjuna and Sarathy refers to charioteer..Krishna is worshipped and called as Parthasarathy there. Your views about the Hindus in India would totally change if you guys visit India and move with Hindus there.

Another famous temple is in Udipi where Bagawan is worshipped as a small child. You can see Krishna only through the nine holes in the wall of His Sannidhanam and the nine holes represent the nine holes of human body implying thhat He can be reached by controlling the senses.

I can tell several things like this annd the forum will be insuffient

I think you are not the poster I was referring to when I said: "Sounds like some anonymous person is envious of ISKCON." If you notice, I followed it up with: "However, my comment is meant for the second small post that went out of the way to point this out, and not the first larger post."

I was not offended by what you said (if you posted the second, larger post, which I think you did. Signatures would help clear up such mix-ups). I understood what you meant. It was the person who went out of their way to point out only one comment you made, to foucs on it and make it stand out like a sore thumb. My reply was to them. So not to worry, it wasn't intended for you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Please do not be offended.

Tho I do wish to add that ISKCON devotees have visted India, often and regularly. What we practice is a different religion from Hinduism. We are not against Hindu's. Matter of fact, Haridahma is a Hindu and we all get along fine. Its merely a matter of understand Prabhupada's highest teachings. No need to be defensive. Thanks.

Guest guest

thanks for the explanation. I am not offended anyway with your reply earlier too even if it was for me. I am just curious with one of your sentence. " we are not practicing hinduism, but different from that"

Will this lead to another religion in course of time after several decades?

Hope it does not.

Haribol,

Well, my understanding is that we are practicing sanatana dharma or returing oursevles to our original, etenral and natural position with Krishna; whereas Hinduism is not a sanskirt word as I am sure you know, but a word to describe the culture of those who lived across the Sindu River. There are many religions within Hinduism itself, from Sivites to demi-god worship, Sikhs and more. I think most Hindu's who worship Krishna as God (as not all Hindus accept Krishna as God) are trying to, or are, practicing the same thing, in accordance to the individual.

Clear as mud? I tried. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sanatan Dharma is the proper terminoligy for most of the indian folk, however like Priitha pointed out that there are many religions within the dharma, from Shivaits to everything else.

I have been to india many times, I love india. But I know from experiance that many hindus dont consider him god. They think he is one of the hindu gods or some even consider him some historical figure.

Many havent read the gita or srimad bagavatam, they have all these boghi yogies claiming to be god by showing them some trick and they will believe it because they havent read the gita or any other vedas.

I wasnt out to insult you or "hinduism" but only to say the facts from what i see it.

Its Sanatam Dharma that Iskcon is following. It is trying to follow it how it was presented by krsna. Not the hodgpodge, waterdown version that is in India right now.

Hare Krsna.

Haridham

I think the song is maybe poking fun at the sadhus in India who smoke 'the wackibaci', there are many, but still they are trying for KC.

The movie originally began with a clip of the Guru Puja in the Bombay ISKCON temple. I believe this was later cut out at the request of ISKCON (though not having seen the movie I'm not sure if parts of it may have been left in).

For months after this movie ISKCON devotees in India had to deal with people throwing stones and all sorts of other things. Even today many people think Hare Krishna has something to do with using drugs, and this is directly because of this movie.

In South India this movie has had no lingering effect because the people don't like Hindi. But in other parts of India it still has brought a negative effect even today.

Guest guest

The misunderstanding of real Hare Krishna from bogus hare krishna is primarily because of associating them with rajneesh/osho group and some people even now think that Hare krishna's are part of rajneesh free sex group and free drug group. But this is largely misunderstood.

The misunderstanding of real Hare Krishna from bogus hare krishna is primarily because of associating them with rajneesh/osho group and some people even now think that Hare krishna's are part of rajneesh free sex group and free drug group. But this is largely misunderstood.

You're kidding? I know you're not, but that's a new one to me. Thanks for informing us. We have little patience for this Rajneesh. I don't even know who Osho is. I wonder how this rumor got started?

And yes, if this is who they think we are part of, it is a great misunderstanding. Prabhupada gave us 4 regulative principles to follow, two of which are no illicit sex and no intoxication of any type, not even coffee. We have no connection with this other group in the slightest. Thanks.

Wow I remember seeing a story on his group a few years ago. The reporter that went there said she was truly creeped out.

I dont know how they can be compared to us. I mean from what I remember, Rajneshes group allows free sex and such they shake in "exstacy" as if in spiritual bliss but they do it on purpose and not out of devotion.

They are many indian people in that group i hear.

SOunds fun with all the roles royces too.

Hare Krsna.

Haridham

I wonder how this rumor got started?

It got started with the movie this thread is about. From that time people started thinking this way (because it depicted Hippies chanting Hare Krishna, but acting as Rajneesh does). Otherwise there is nothing that would even remotely link Hare Krishna with Rajneesh.

Guest guest

NO I am honestly not kidding. From that Dum mare Dum song, many people were thinking that hare krishna's are hippies includig me until I read about Prabupadaji and his mission. ( As the administrator has pointed out, that movie was quite misleading in the 70's). Of course now the view must have changed, since there are good number of ISKON krishna temple in India too. My parents recently visited one in Bangalore.

By the way even I dont like Rajneesh Osho. I am not carried away by his stupid ideologies which mislead people actually.

Now that this is cleared up(I hope)

What should we do with Dev Anand. Lol.

I mean does he recieve bad karmic reactions from this or is this good for him because many people heard the maha mantra.

Hare Krsna

Haridham

I mean does he recieve bad karmic reactions from this or is this good for him because many people heard the maha mantra.

He caused many people to think badly of the Lord's sincere devotees. Offenses to the vaishnavas are very severe and not forgiven by Lord Krishna.

yeah your right. Vaisnava apradha is the worst.

I told someone that if you commit vaisnava aparadha krsna wont forigive you until the devotee forgives you. Devotees are very dear to krsna.

I Know since then I have never watched any of his movies or most indian movies anyway because they arent so great and are becoming westernized.

He once came to my town(block) actually but I refused to go see him as he was promoting something.

I have heard that Amitabh Bachan and other movie goers come to the iskcon temple in bombay. I have heard that Hema Malini chants and such.

My guru maharaj was once talking about Hema Malini.

Let me know more details

Hare KRsna