IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Haridham

About Chanakya pudit.

Rate this topic

Hare krsna everyone.

Just a question I have.

I have heard about Chanakya Pundit and heard he was a great moralist.

However I dont know if this is true or not but I heard he said that Women, dogs and drums should be beaten regularly.

Whats up with that anyway.

Hare krsna.

Prabhupad said this is from Tulsidas, and cited it on several occasions.

===

Prabhupada: Yes. That is Tulasi dasa's remark. So in many passages of his poetry he has not done very justice to woman. And another poetry, he writes, dhol gunar sudra nari. Dhol gunar sudra nari ihe sab sasan ke adhikari.(?) Dhol gunar pasu sudra nari, ihe sab sasan ke adhikari. Dhol, dhol means drum, mrdanga. Gunar, gunar means... What is called English? A fool, fool. Illiterate fool, what is one word?

Brahmananda: Buffoon?

Prabhupada: Maybe buffoon. Buffoon is sometimes troublesome. But gunar means he doesn't understand very nicely.

Brahmananda: Dullard.

Prabhupada: Dull, dull. Dhol gunar, dhol means drum and gunar means dull. Sudra, and the laborer class. Three. Dhol, gunar, sudra, and pasu, household animals, just like cows, dogs.

Brahmananda: Pet.

Prabhupada: Pet, like that. Dhol gunar sudra pasu and nari. Nari means woman. (laughs) Just see. He has classified the nari amongst these class, dhol, gunar, sudra, pasu, nari. Ihe sab sasan ke adhikari. Sasan ke adhikari means all these are subjected for punishment.

===

Prabhupada: That's all. Murkhasya lakutausadhi(?). When a person is fool number one, beat him. That's all. Dhol gobara...(?) Tulasi dasa has said, dhol gobara sudra pasu nari, ei saba sasana ke adhikari. Dhol, drum, you have to bring it to the tune by beating, "tung, tung." Gobara. Gobara means fool person. Pasu, animal. Dhol, gobara, pa..., sudra, and nari, woman. They should be punished to bring them into order. Ei saba sasana ke adhikari. Otherwise they will spoil. A barking dog, you cannot pacify him, "My dear dog, don't bark." It will disturb him: "No!" Dhol gobara sudra pasu nari, ei saba sasana ke...

===