girl, make up the rest of the class.

On the blackboard is written "World Religions." As the rest of the

class

prepares for a boring two hours, I can already feel my stomach sink -

what

did I do to deserve this?

We are handed a fill-in-the-blank chart of major world religions and

are

instructed to look in our books for the answers.

Finishing quickly, I hand in my chart to Mr. West at his desk, and turn

to

leave.

"Now wait a minute, you put 'monotheistic' down for Hindooism," he

remarks.

"I know," I reply, feeling my face burn as the class looks up.

"Hindoos are polytheistic."

"No, they're not,"

"Are you a Hindoo?"

"Yeah."

"Oh."

Scattered murmurs break out among my peers, whispering about how freaky

Hindus worship elephants and monkeys. Great.

"Well," Mr. West says standing up and going to the chalkboard, "from

what

I understand, Hindoos are all about their caste system." And he begins

a

long, irrelevant, and incorrect explanation, which he memorized from

our

textbook. What does that have to do with being monotheistic? I don't

even

bother correcting him, to save myself any more embarrassment. I wanted

to

get out of there. Fast.

7th grade starts, and it's culture day in history.

"Both of my parents are Indian--" I begin when it's my turn.

"Do you mean Native American Indian, or Middle Eastern Indian?" my

teacher

asks.

Sounds like it's going to be another fun year in social studies.

When 8th grade starts, India and Hinduism are summed up in a few short

sentences by the teacher. India is described as filled with pollution,

cows, and poverty-stricken people. Hindus love to bathe in rivers where

they throw the ashes of their parents and yes, they do worship

elephants

and monkeys.

"Do you speak Indian?" I'm asked at least two times a week. "I heard

there

were two thousand gods and every full moon you had to give a sacrifice

to

them. Do you do that?"

No.I try to explain that all the gods are really aspects of one

almighty

being. I've never sacrificed anything except my dignity, which slowly

dwindles with each question. The release of popular award-winning books

such as Homeless Bird, which portrays the typical Indian girl who is

forced to get married at thirteen, didn't help Indians anywhere.

And, who could have guessed, the author hadn't even been to India! No

kidding.

Six entire chapters in the textbook were devoted to Christianity,

whereas

one page is given to the history of India and the teachings of

Hinduism. A

second page is entirely about Lord Shiva, accompanied by a rather

unbecoming picture of an ancient dancing Shiva statue. Buddhism gets

one

paragraph.

This doesn't make sense, as most of the school already knows so much

about

Christianity, but hardly any even knew Buddhism or Hinduism existed.

Now

that they did, we would be ridiculed publicly. Thank you, Board of

Education.

At last, high school starts. I almost die of shock when I see the 9th

grade textbook has devoted an entire 3 sentences to Sikhism and

Jainism.

It claims Sikhism "combines the Muslim belief of one god with the Hindu

belief of reincarnation." Christianity in India and the ever-popular

"western influence" get pages and pages of text.

One of the main pictures which help represent "typical life in India"

is

one my fellow students describe as some sort of drag-queen in make-up

doing an obscure peacock dance. Out of all the dazzling pictures of

Indian

culture, that is the one they have to stick in? They chose that one

over a

picture of, say, the classic Taj Mahal?

But the fun just gets funnier -- the next picture of a sari earns a

whole

two sentences. Oh, but it's not an exquisite silk or glittering

embroidered sari. Nope, it's a dirty yellow (perhaps once white) cotton

sari worn by an old woman bathing in the Ganges River.

In spite of its pollution, "Hindus readily drink and bathe in the

Ganges'

waters.people even come to die in the river." To further prove their

point, they stick in a picture of a filth and trash laden section of

Ganges, not a clean part, which much of it is.

I kid you not, upon reading this and looking at the picture, a boy in

my

class had to be excused to the nurse's office because his stomach had

become queasy.

Now we come to the sacred cow. They say entire streets are blocked

because

Hindus don't want to run over our beloved cow. C'mon, even in America,

people aren't going to just run over a local cow; they'll find a way to

move it or get around it.

On an ending note, Indians are technologically behind. They fail to

mention that we have a space program, nuclear capabilities, and many

Indians, believe it or not, have heard of a computer.

Every day, young desi children and teenagers are unreasonably tormented

because of our perceived background. The school textbooks are half the

cause. The average American doesn't know squat about India, and with

the

help of poorly researched textbooks, they learn nonsense.

The sheer embarrassment of the situation is enough to make desi

students

everywhere wish we could have been "normal" by American standards.

Explaining to your peers that you don't worship a thousand gods like

the

Greeks; your grandmother doesn't force you to bathe in dead people's

ashes

every full moon; and even though you know how to bhangra, kuchipudi, or

whatever it may be, you've never danced with a drag-queen, is not fun

for

any young desi.

But why do we put up with it? Jewish, African-American, and Orientals

all

have organizations against defamation and they are represented

correctly

in the textbooks. Why aren't we?

If Christians can effectively lobby to remove the theory of evolution

from

school science textbooks, then certainly we should be able to at least

correct the blatant misinterpretation of our culture. Reading what you

or

your child's Social Studies textbooks says on India and Hinduism and

writing a simple letter or e-mail to the editor can make a world of

difference for not only you but for thousands of others.

A letter to the Board of Education for your district can't hurt either,

since they decide which textbooks will be used. It only takes five

minutes

of your time, but it can change how you, an Indian, are viewed in

society.

Desis are being ridiculed everywhere in America because of what today's

modern student is learning.

It's not going to change unless we become part of the solution.

---

Trisha Pasricha of Houston, TX, is 14. She has recently co-authored a

children's novel with her mother and is now actively seeking a

publisher.

She currently writes a teenage advice column in her local newspaper.

The fact that the young female author is only 14 gives me a some hope for this culture.

The whole situation underscores for me the need for devotees to establish their own educational systems. Support vouchers and break up the monopoly on education.

Theistic children of all religions should not have their fragile and maleable young minds handled by these nonsense teachers who are more fit for working in a system designed by Hiranyakasipu.

Support vouchers.

When I was in my Global studies class, the teacher taught us that Hinduism was polytheistic when it was truly monotheistic in a sense.

But this is not christian bigotry, it is just ignorance. In India too, some don't know what Christianity is for an extent, but nobody there says its "Hindu bigotry".

The cause of all this confusion among individuals is ignorance and poor understanding of a very 'exotic' religion.

In truth, Hinduism is not ALL monotheistic, this confuses people of other religions.

The Hinduism practiced in Villages is Polytheistic, because every village has some patron God to worship. However, the Hinduism written in Shastras , Vedas etc is Monotheistic in the true sense. This confuses people, they cannot comprehend if it is polytheistic or monotheistic due to its sheer vastness.

My teacher in my Global studies class even asked me if I had any objections. To be honest, we should not have any objections... because it is both polytheistic and monotheistic.

In other words :

Polytheistic for the confused individuals both in India and America.

Monotheistic for the individuals who do a little research into it. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

So, its not the school's fault, they are not going to read shastras there and tell them "well hinduism starts with something like there is one reality etc."

The very subject of whether Hinduism is a monotheistic or polytheistic religion is very debatable for the so called educated grown up themselves then how can they make kids involve it?

We should be just happy that they are talking about our religion.

In reply to :

_________

"everywhere wish we could have been "normal" by American standards.

_________

If they are worrying about "American " standards of normality, they should see India. India's standard of normality does not exist for our desi friends, may be thats why the people who want to study there or try to study there run away and come back to America. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes they are correct. If they wanted their culture they should stay in india. I mean they come here to make money and "enjoy" because they think their culture doesnt offer real "enjoyment"

Ofourse if only they knew a little bit about their own culture.

Funny thing is most westerners are following eastern culture and most easterners are following western culture

Harekrsna

Haridham

was taught in school that the Hare Krishnas were a cult. But a "non-destructive" cult. I let him quit that year to pursue his skateboarding dream. I'm surprised I didn't go to the school and kick butt, but I'm glad this young girl is. Go get'em, girl.

Yeah young girl, keep on defending.

I heard once that a friend of mine had a class in which the teacher said Krsna was gay.

My friend said that another friend told him this as he fell asleep in that class.

Interesting what people are doing arent they.

Harekrsna

Haridham

Guest guest

Well, I'm a Christian Indian and I came across the same kind of ignorance when I moved to the States 10 years ago. In school, I'd often get asked by teachers if I spoke "Hindu" or if my mother ever dished up monkey brains for dinner (the cultural accuracy of Indiana Jones must have been lauded by said teachers).

References to India were always repulsive - slums, people bathing in filthy rivers, lepers, children begging on the streets. On my first day of school, my Grade 7 teacher handed me a preschool math book so that I could learn my numbers and "catch up" to the other children who didn't come from "third world" countries. I was thoroughly insulted but quickly proved that Indian education standards were up to par with (if not well beyond) the North American system.

But I digress. The ignorance I faced was more of a cultural generalization than a religious one. It was one that was vocalized to the Indian majority and not just Hindu Indians. But that was 10 years ago and much has changed today. India is proving itself to be a technological hub and eastern philosophies, crafts and cusine are being recognized and embraced for the true art forms that they are.

Regards,

MJ

Guest guest

Yes Theist

the ed.system is built on anti-God philosophy.

It is time we all rise up to denounce this demonic system.

Welll, I know how hard it is. I dont know if my sisters ever felt the same way i did, but , everyday i hated going to school. Dont get my wrong, i love school i love learning. i would wake up in the morning get ready for school and get to the bus stop- be in a great mood. Get to school and i was like "damn, why am i here. i hate this place"

This girl is form Houston, i amm fron Dallas, so same state. What she says is true. i hated the first day of school sooo much. it was terrible. when they do roll call. they always mess up my name. you know that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach ....i had that for four years.

I remember in my world goegraphy class when we were studying india. The teacher 1st tells me, "Trupti, if i say anthing wrong tell me". i tought she was sincere. no! when she started talking about the Ganga River and said GANGES in that pathetic nasal voice, i said "Ms. Allen, its not ganges, its Ganga River." that lady thought i was lying. i was like ...watever. never said more then tow things to her after that.

i mean i was the only indian girl in that school and it was very hard. not only was i a very insecure person, but the experice of high school left me emotionally in shambles. I would sit in the back of classrooms so i could be the first person out of there once the bell rang. at lunch ...i neverhad anyone to sit by, sure i had friends but, i always felt lonely. but since those days are long gone, i know how it feels to go to school where there are more white poeple. Dallas has alot of indian people, but not the part im from. i went to college in dallas and the uuniversity i went to was the total opposit e of my high school it was like a shoock. going to a schoool where 2/3 of your class is indian.. makes you feel at home. my major was engineering ...that is why. i was not alone now.

all i can say to those who are going through the same thing ...but strong...in the end it is rewarding.

"The Hinduism practiced in Villages is Polytheistic, because every village has some patron God to worship. However, the Hinduism written in Shastras , Vedas etc is Monotheistic in the true sense."

For some people Hinduism is experienced as polytheism, some as monotheism, but really I think the greatest percentage of Hindus are "henotheistic" meaning that they worship/honor many gods, but hold one god as the Supreme Reality/Supreme Lord. (take me for instance, I worship Lakshmi, Hanumanji, Durga Maa, Saraswati, but the true object of my worship and devotion is Sri Krishna.) Does that make sense for you guys?

Main Entry: heno·the·ism

Etymology: German Henotheismus, from Greek hen-, heis one + theos god —more at SAME

: the worship of one god without denying the existence of other gods

Yes it does make sense but why not just worship Sri Krsna.

He is the cause of all causes.

If you worship him then all other demigods and goddess are pleased.

Just like watering a tree. If you water the root of the tree(krsna) then the whole tree, branches, leaves, the animals on the leaves and birds benefit, but if you water the branch or the leaves nothing gets benefit.

I love Lord Sri Krsna but I respect all the other Demigods and goddesses, however I feel the highest spiritual understanding when I chant and think of krsna.

Hare Krsna

Guest guest

The vedas explain that there are many names but the reality is one. There is only one God, but He is called Vishnu because he pervades everything. He is called Shiva because he destroys everything. He is called Agni, because He is Self Effulgent, He is called Yama, because He is the ordainer of laws of nature. He is Rama, because He is ananda himself. So, there are many names that the Vedas give the almighty, but they themselves support that He is only one Supreme Entity. - So, the vedas promote monotheism.

The Hindu village culture is polytheistic because there are many Gods, there are Rat Gods, Dog Gods, Elephant God, Monkey God etc. Even though in the true sense they are trying to see God in everything. They try to make them seperate and even sometimes fight about which God is supreme over the other.

May be Vaishnavas are "Henothistic", but the Historians agree that the Hindu Culture as a whole is both polytheistic and Monotheistic in different circumstances.

Guest guest

Ho Hum.

Most Indian Hindus are incapable of explaining their beliefs and rituals coz they themselves don't know. So how can we expect others to know?

Like for example go-puja. They just can't explain the reasons behind it. When I explained to a puzzled non-hindu how and why this ritual developed, he totally understood it and said, "i've asked alot of hindus and none could give me an intelligent answer".

Hinduism is many things to many different people. Yes, a monkey and an elephant is worshipped in Hinduism. The westerners are telling it like it is. So it's up to us to explain who that monkey and who that elephant is, what they symbolize and what they have accomplished as divine beings.

Just like Christians have to constantly explain their belief in a virgin birth, so we "hindus" also have some odd beliefs to explain. What is the big deal?

India is full of cows in the streets, poverty, pollution and literally 100s of thousands of children 13 and under ARE married off. But wealthy, educated, upwardly mobile Indians in India and the West both want to sweep this reality under the carpet so the world will not see and not criticize. They are ashamed of their country's poor, illiterate, hungry masses. Instead of saying, "yes, my country is full of these problems, can you help me in my efforts to improve the condition of my people", rather they would rather laugh at westerners' stereotypes and prejudices and highlight all the IT institutes in India that they and their cousins attended. For every IT graduate there is at least 100 illiterate, underage girls being married off to a life of hardship/abuse in villages.

But what would a 14 year old Hindu girl in America know about that? I'm sure her parents don't talk about those things with her.

Trisha Pasricha WAKE UP and smell the chai!

Guest guest

Ho Hum.

Most Indian Hindus are incapable of explaining their beliefs and rituals coz they themselves don't know. So how can we expect others to know?

Like for example go-puja. They just can't explain the reasons behind it. When I explained to a puzzled non-hindu how and why this ritual developed, he totally understood it and said, "i've asked alot of hindus and none could give me an intelligent answer".

Hinduism is many things to many different people. Yes, a monkey and an elephant is worshipped in Hinduism. The westerners are telling it like it is. So it's up to us to explain who that monkey and who that elephant is, what they symbolize and what they have accomplished as divine beings.

Just like Christians have to constantly explain their belief in a virgin birth, so we "hindus" also have some odd beliefs to explain. What is the big deal?

India is full of cows in the streets, poverty, pollution and literally 100s of thousands of children 13 and under ARE married off. But wealthy, educated, upwardly mobile Indians in India and the West both want to sweep this reality under the carpet so the world will not see and not criticize. They are ashamed of their country's poor, illiterate, hungry masses. Instead of saying, "yes, my country is full of these problems, can you help me in my efforts to improve the condition of my people", rather they would rather laugh at westerners' stereotypes and prejudices and highlight all the IT institutes in India that they and their cousins attended. For every IT graduate there is at least 100 illiterate, underage girls being married off to a life of hardship/abuse in villages.

But what would a 14 year old Hindu girl in America know about that? I'm sure her parents don't talk about those things with her.

Trisha Pasricha WAKE UP and smell the chai!

Much of this poverty is a direct result of the exploitation from Christian and Muslim invaders of India! They come and ravage our Motherland, oppress her people, belittle and slander our spiritual traditions; then make fun of our condition after they are done abusing us. Unreal!

Guest guest

Hi, Hare Krishna,

Just a thought,

I recently heard one guy say on radio that some people posses a spiritual gene.

I can really agree with him, because some people unfortunately for themselves will never ever understand what love of God is, and will never ever understand how peple can love God.

Their misjudgement is through lack of understanding.

Even a lot of people in so called religions have a materialistic love of God, and will never ever understand the spiritual aspect of God.

And I agree with the young girl and sympathise with her, some people like her teacher are so out of touch and ignorant about india that it is beyond beleif.

Hare Krishna, Harri Harri Bol.