IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Winand

Were the Aryans meat eaters?

Rate this topic

Some scriptures are misinterpreted for obvious ends (crusade Jihad etc.)

Say for Example.

"Bhakshyet Go mansam Pibet Amarvarunim......"

This verse of Hatha Yoga Pradipika Means.(Go also means Tounge and not Cow as it is misinterpreted) Go or tounges meat or tounge itself when swallowed(Khechari Mudra) then from Sahasrara Chakra( Bodys place for Goloka Vrindavan) Amrita or elixir flows which the yogis drink.

This is AmarVaruni not the Varuni which means Wine.

In the Vedas Dhenu also mean food grains and not Cow which is used at the sacrificial fire.

Guest guest

Unfortunately this is an area of confusion even in India. I was listening to some Jains say that the people of the original Vedic culture were meat-eaters and it was only over time that we learned to be vegetarians and practice ahimsa from their (Jain) influence. Sadly, I did not have enough information to refute what they were saying.

Guest guest

How many Hindus are presently vegetarian? I have heard 30% but do not know if this percentage is accurate. Are most Hindus in India full-vegetarian? I know NONE of us eat beef, but I have heard of Hindus eating fish and chicken.

Guest guest

Well, we know that there were animal sacrifices during vedic times. Some say that the animal was sacrificed so that it would be revived again via mantra in a young body. Others say that the sacrificial meat was eaten.

It is forbidden to eat meat that has not been sacrificed, so even if meat was eaten, it was probably not to a large extent, unless people were conducting elaborate sacrifices daily, which is doubtful.

My understanding is that some meat eating was taking place during vedic times, though not anywhere near what is taking place in today's world.

There were rules regarding sacrifice, such as time and place. So I would assume that during those times and in those places, non-vegetarian people participating in sacrifices did partake of some meat. But I never got the idea that meat eating was a daily part of life in that culture.

Anyway, sacrifice had it's time in the history of Sanatan Dharma, but that time has long since ended. Buddha ushered in a new era of compassion that saw a significant decrease in animal sacrifice.

Other religions that still practice some sort of official animal sacrifice certain times of the year, or on certain occasions, such as Hajj in Islam, an argument could be made that prescriptions for sacrifice were not meant to be a nitya dharma but a naimitik one and hence, with the progress of time and enlightenment, that should also cease to be a main tenent of the religion.

That wide spread vegetarianism in India may have arisen in conjunction with the rise of the Jain religion may be historically accurate.

Guest guest

I have heard that during the ancient Vedic animal sacrifices, it was assured that the animal being sacrificed would take a higher rebirth (human I would imagine).

Guest guest

One question that remains is that, yagna, sacrifice, was the yuga-dharma for Treta Yuga. That being the case, how come Yuddhisthira Maharaja and others were performing ashwamedha yagna during dwarpa yuga? By Dwarpa Yuga it was deity worship that had been ushered in as the yuga dharma and yagna was phased out.

This question raises two issues TO BE DEFINED

' Aryan ' and second " Ancient Aryan Times"

The "Aryan" concept is a product of historical creative Speculation and any answer based on this would be as much a speculation.

Ancient Aryan times is not hence definative

To replace Aryan with Hindu would be equally speculative

as it assumes that the whole country had a monolithic religion or Society called Hindu. wheras hindu just represents all peopple living in a geographically bounded area.

Now should we say "Ancient Vedic" - well Veda was taught to only those competent to learn and was from master to pupil and was hence limited to a few learned few,

We are left with "Ancient Civilisation in India" - It had to be a mixture of all types of People given the diversity of land and the tribes that would have have lived in different parts of the country; and diversity in food habits is to be expected.

Further if we are to find a common thread , it can be from the Puranas only;A dating system has been possible with the Srimad Bhagavatam and it's prudrnt to expect that all who were classed as rakshasas ate Meat and all others could have been otherwise.

Were the ancient arians of India(some 8000 years ago) great eaters of meat?... at the time of the arians india was a strong super power....

Were the ancient arians of India(some 8000 years ago) great eaters of meat?... at the time of the arians india was a strong super power....
Aryans never came to India or the Indian sub-continent , the Aryan invasion of India has been totally made up by the British coz they did'nt want to give credit to the ancient Indian society of high cultural,spiritual & scientific advancement .

Aryans never came to India or the Indian sub-continent , the Aryan invasion of India has been totally made up by the British coz they did'nt want to give credit to the ancient Indian society of high cultural,spiritual & scientific advancement .

thats very true, but what great impact they made was by changing our educational system with theirs, which made the genarations to think west is the best and the east is useless. Now, its up to us to change back to the old vedic system. But that seems to be near to impossible. When you see specially the rise of things ike Bollywood, IT and many more. Need of the time is a person spiritually very strong, one who can make miracles (to show the fools, uncomparable power of spirituality), a true devotee and over that a great warrior, who can literally defeat anything. If such a person shows how the vedic is the best ; naturally will there be a reason for the nowadays fools to stop follwing the english based and follow the vedic based. This can eventually change back to square. Krishna has to send someone of that sort!!!!:pray:

Lets hope we will get one eventuallyy!!!!!!!!

Jai shri gurudev

Hari hari bol

might be u want to claim meat eating is better by showin aryans ate meat. Aryans is not a race or cult, anybody who is spiritually advacend is Arya and the rest an-arya. As in the former yugas people were spiritually advanced were called aryans.....Not that a huge body and white skin make ,a meat eater arya:smash: .

hari hari bol

and to all those who claim white skinned are aryans race, they shud know Krishna himself was balck (Oh he was the most beutiful yet). And also if u read Mahabharatha u can find instances referring mostly great people as dark skinned , just like Dronacharya and. I don want to prove some is greater that the other. what i want to say is that outside beuty does not say anything about the spirit inside . Its the same spirit everywhere in every living entity. and its the same Lord in everyone's heart. Krishna is same for all...... NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE

Hari hari bol

These were events of long, long time ago, and the available records are inconclusive in that area. Certainly, there were cases of meat eating described in the Vedic literature, mostly associated with ritual sacrifices. Yet, the descriptions of crops raised by people suggests that vegetarian diet dominated the entire culture. How relevant is to for us? Not very relevant. We can easily depend on vegetarian diet and there are no more animal sacrifices where participants were usually obligated to partake in ritual meat eating. The variety of pure vegetarian food is astonishing nowadays - it is not at all an austerity.

Guest guest

How many Hindus are presently vegetarian? I have heard 30% but do not know if this percentage is accurate. Are most Hindus in India full-vegetarian? I know NONE of us eat beef, but I have heard of Hindus eating fish and chicken.

Well, my dear friend, you are obivously misinformed or you have not heard of a place called Kerala - you will find super-beef-eater hindus there !!!

I've heard that a great deal of people in South Indian States are converting to Christianity which then encourages them to eat beef. Something has to be done to change this. I can't understand how any Hindu would ever touch cow meat, let alone any meat. :crying2: