IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
aisharya

Do Vaishnavas keep pets like dogs & cats?

Rate this topic

Indeed. Get a pet you'll be better for it and your karmi connections will see us actually loving animals - beyond just not eating them.

How would our world improve if people would take in the stray cats and dogs - without having to see them in a cage at the pound!

If only people could see that to love a pet - in a way that befits a devotee is a grand thing we might have fewer people hurting animals and people. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

I have a veggie dog, and two cats. The cats are not veggie, but as I rescued both cats I am willing to accept the karma that their diet entails. In fact animals don't create karma. After they die I will not have another cat.

Imagine that devotees ran zoos that protected endangered species. Would they refuse to feed the meat eating animals? Is that compassionate? Remember that in the wild these animals would kill for food. I accept that the ideal would be that all animals would be veggie.

I recall that Srila Prabupada, at the very beginning, was prepared to feed western people meat if they just chanted the Holy Name...