IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sirona

Do you have to be born into Hinduism?

Rate this topic

Hello, I stumbled across some "What is Hinduism" FAQ saying that that "conversion" to "Hinduism" is not possible and that to be a "Hindu" you have to be born as one. I admit that I lack the Indian cultural background which cannot be acquired even by most zealous imitation but the matter of fact is that I believe. I do believe in Krishna. If they want to take this away from me the only way is cut my heart out. If may be possible that a "real Hindu" doesn't accept me because I'm white in my face, but that won't change anything about the things inside. So if there's no way to actually touch my innermost soul does anybody have the right to tell me what I am so-to-say not allowed to believe in, to tell me something he is practically not able to enforce? Common sense says no, but I'd like to ask for your advice, because about this I feel confused and a little bit upset.

Don't worry, you really don't have to be born in hinduism. The people who say you have to be born into hinduism and you cannot convert are probably joking or are completely ignorant of their past.

Because, there is nothing to convert to. Hinduism consists of Christian beliefs, Shinto, Muslim, Jewish and other belief systems.

Hinduism is not a religion and Krishna is not limited to Hinduism.

Krishna is there in churches/mosques/stupas as well as in temples. If you go to the spiritual vraja and ask krishna if he is hindu , he will probably laugh at you /images/graemlins/smile.gif , because he is independent of all religions.

God does not belong to any religion, he belongs to your heart, so chant and be happy! . Krishna will come to you /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guest guest

One need not be born as Hindu to beleive in Hinduism. Who is talking like this. As per the Dharma of Hinduism, anyone who has principles in life as presscribed by vedas is considered a Hindu.

Guest guest

Recently I read in a book that, the two most important doctrines of Hinduism are, 1) Eternity of the Soul and 2) Transmigration of the Soul (Reincarnation or Rebirth). If you believe in these two doctrines firmly, and follow the Sanatana Dharma, then you are a Hindu, no matter where you are born and which family or faith you are born. When you have declared that, the Lord Krishna is your Ishtadevata, you are already a devout Hindu!

God is after of our hearts and the purity of our soul, regardless of skin, culture, race and traditions. There are whites who have "black hearts", and there are dark skinned individuals that are having a wonderful soul and an honest heart.

Guest guest

surely i was not clear: hindu is a "material" definition ... "hindu" means "indian"... so, i am not indian, i am not hindu, i try to be krsna conscious.. i have many beliefs shared with hindus

the name hindu is (ethimologically!!!)connected with the land india, to say that a italian, australian, french can be an hindu is the same that to say that he can be indian

Guest guest

The word "Hindu" comes from the name of the river Indus, which flows 1800 miles from Tibet through Kashmir and Pakistan to the sea. Originally the name referred to people living in a particular region of the world, regardless of their faith; so in the 18th century someone could quite sensibly be described as a "Hindu Muslim".

But a "Hindu" can also be described as somone who practices Hinduism. And as for being born a 'Hindu', as in being born as somone who believes in the faith... That's nonsense. Yes, you can only be born into the caste system, but anyone can be a 'Hindu'. Take Gurudeva, for example... a Northern convert. Look him up on google.com or something.

Try looking for the book 'Am I Hindu?/the Hinduism Primer'...

"This primer, serving some of the vast sweep of Hindu belief and practice, takes the form of dialog between a Hindu father and his American-born son. The son wants to understand his family's religious traditions and discover what is relevant for him today. The book is useful not only to American Hindus but to those who want a nontechnical introduction to Hinduism as lived today. The book also explains how Hinduism engages in dialog with Western science and culture. Recommended for large public libraries and undergraduate collections."

-Amazon.com

Read some of the reviews there.

Guest guest

no, hinduism is for everyone any time any place.

it is a complete science of spirituality.

those who like hinduism or a part of it

should praise hinduism and spread what they like.

they should not take a chunk out of hinduism,

and brand it with a different name,

and then say it is not hinduism

but something they invented,

and then keep on slandering hinduism.

jai sri krishna! -madhav

"in this age of kali, there is no alternative for spiritual progress other than the chanting of the Holyname. therefore there is no need of mental speculation nor any intellectual adjustment for chanting this maha-mantra...ANYONE can take part in this transcendental sound vibration, without previous qualification, and dance in ecstacy. The chanting should be heard, however from the lips of a pure devotee of the Lord, so that immediate effect can be achieved."

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Guest guest

yes, and any large gathering of singing and dancing group can be easily put to ground permanently by a few islam terrorists with ak-47's and bombs.

koran says them to do it.

i am not saying singing and chanting is bad.

i am saying the time for it is not now.

time is for invoking the kshatriya spirit in all the vedic people, and be free from terrorism in india.

then sing and dance.

remember that krishna did not do raas lila until after he killed all the demons (terrorits.)

jai sri krishna! - madhav

Don't start with the vedas.

Might I suggest purchasing a copy of the Bhagavad Gita to start? There are a lot of good translations out there; all of them with some idiosyncracies. I'm pretty sure that the majority of people in this forum would reccomend the Swami Prabhupada translation.

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yatra yogeshwara Krishno yatra partho dhanur-dharah

Tatra sriir vijayo bhutihi dhruvaaneetir mathir mama.