IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
aisharya

What kind of shots for India travel?

Rate this topic

What kinds of shots are recommended for travel in India? Is it a good idea to have an AIDS test clearance here. I read that if you stay in India beyond a certain length of time an AIDS test is required. Are there any other items one should carry medicinally that I can't get in India? Thanks for info.

What about mosquitoes? Is it a problem year around & all over India?

Also, I read recently about a devotee being gored by a cow's horn & asking for organic cayenne pepper to stop internal bleeding. I have checked into this. Don't understand why there is no cayenne in India but I will bring some. It can be swallowed or applied directly to wounds to stop bleeding...owwwww! Eat crackers or bread first then the drink the pepper down. I eat Indian food now & don't get the galloping skitters(diahrea). I try to eat non-spicy/hot. It is not Sattvic to eat hot stuff anyway. Thank you much for input.

it's not the stlye of food it's the bacteria in the water that they food gets wash with etc.

NEVER eat anything from the street stalls except fruit that requires your peeling it.

NEVER drink any water that is not bottled. And when buying bottled water look to make sure the plastic top still has that little wrap around thing on it. People find discarded water bottles and then refill them with regular water. They will try to resell that to you.

I would advise even skipping the carnamrita water at temples. Accept in your mind only. I have met people who got very sick from bathing in the Yamuna and even Radha Kunda.

Error on the side of caution.

They are every where in India so it is better to buy the mosquito killing gel. It is there in all indian Medical stores.

The best way to look for a medical store there is a + sign. No one would know if you ask "where is the local pharmacy" , but if you ask " where is the medical store" they will tell you.

Anyway, cover your feet because in many places in India there are some bugs which the Indians are immune to but not the Americans or Indians from America/west.

So, please never walk with out your shoes and if you think shoes are too much trouble... buy like Indian sandals. But I would advice sneakers to you.

Also, if you have to remove your shoes in temples etc... be careful on what you step on and wash your feet regularly with water.

When I went to India, I did not care much for the feet...and with one bug bite my whole foot was swollen and I had to have a bed rest for 3 days. So please be careful.

is not enough to kill certain bacteria. You have to high boil for a certain length of time to do this otherwise the bacteria can still live.

Also, about feet, in humid climates there is the danger of ringworm and these can enter the body through the thin skin between the toes. So sneakers would be best and check between toes often for little "cheerio" shapes. Also check the whole body for these shapes.

I would advise even skipping the carnamrita water at temples. Accept in your mind only. I have met people who got very sick from bathing in the Yamuna and even Radha Kunda.

I have often wondered about that. I have not yet been to India but even when I lived in Italy (no offense to our european friends) as an American we could not use the public pools and were taught not to wade in rivers or streams.

It was not meant that these were dirty or contaminated it just was that being from a different country we do not have the immunities built against the different bacterias present in the waters. The locals do have these immunities built. We had to drink bottled water there also.

Guest guest

lol duh, its polluted by the industries near by. I don't advice bathing in any water other than the water in the hotel room if you ask me...

I_L_K

Guest guest

Govindaram, thanks for volunteering.

I was looking for a new science experiment anyway. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

Positive statement : We are so fallen that the Ganges water even though it is pure... makes us sick when we drink it /images/graemlins/frown.gif

So, we can't drink it and go to heavenly planets.

Negative statement: It is so polluted that even the river dolphins disappeared. Blame the industry and the people who abused it! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

In both cases, you can't drink the water. Krishna ordered us to use our bodies to reach him and it is in the best interest for us to take care of our bodies and have plenty of time in these bodies to do sadhana and finally go to his abode /images/graemlins/smile.gif .

Our faith should be in Krishna. In this Kali Yuga, even the Ganges is untrustworthy!, the only thing we can trust is krishna. these are just my views on the subject.

I_L_K

Hare Krishna

Then we should put the Ganges water on our heads,

as does Lord Siva.

Instead of maybe taking a dip.

Taking a dip, putting the water on your head

is the same thing /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Haribol!!