IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
laxm_thirtha

Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Bride and Groom garland each other in accordance with ancient custom and the Priest reminds the assembly that by doing this they have demonstrated their free choice of each other

Hare Krishna,

The following two links give the whole marriage ceremonies. Exchanging garlands is how we Indians greet each other. Similarly in marriage the bride greets the groom.

http://www.vivaaha.org/the.htm

http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/rituals/sacraments/marriage_mantras.html

As for lighting DEEPAM in front of a DEITY, I think practising priests will be able to answer better. I think somebody here should have knowledge of Agama texts like Pancaratra etc.

Guest guest

hope it is not disgusting to you.

but then any one can always ask

why bride and groom do whatever they do in marriage.

as long as they do not punch each other in marriage

it should be ok.

would you agree?

jai sri krishna!

Why do bride and bridegroom garland each other in a marriage?

So that they can hide their body odor by the aroma of flowers /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Why do we light lamps in front of God?

So that God can have some light and actually see you in person. Or he would be blessing some one else in the dark /images/graemlins/wink.gif (it used to be pretty dark in the temple rooms in the olden days)

Hello Maya...

You asked: "Why do bride and bridegroom garland each other in a marriage? Why do we light lamps in front of God?"

For my own interpretation...garlands represents the infinite bond of marriage. I think it is becasue garlands forms a circle and don't have ends...

For the light..or the flame symbolize God's presence within the union.

Have a nice day!

Kind regards...

Garlands are used as a mark of appreciation of each other.

It is an aspect of our culture that whenever some great, wonderful things occur, wise men or sages would appear and shower flowers and garlands as a mark of their appreciation of the event. So is the case of the garland which the culture considers as having divine approval.

Hello Yasodanandana,

Yes, I think the link attached by one of the devotee is quite better than our own point of view. Just want to clarify that my words are based on my own interpretation as you could see in the first pharagraph.

Light symbolize God's. Yes..you heard it "God's". God's (with apothrophe and s)..not Gods' (s and apostrophe).

Forgive me..I was giving my opinion in a non-hindu point of view.

But "WHY??!!?" would you question if I say God's presence within the union? Do you expect that marriage wasn't in God's consent? Just asking...

Forgive me if I offended you...I think I just reacted by your exclamation points and question marks in why....

God Bless,

Mye

Guest guest

Question...

Why you HARE KRISHNA and Hindu people, when you speak too much about Srila Prabhupada and quoted and based all your claims in his book, it's okey. But we, Christians, when we speak about Jesus and site scriptures from the bible, you call us fanatics? Where is the justice here?

Is it becasue Prabhupada is more important to you than Jesus? Jesus which is UNDENIABLY the only one that has been given the TITLE as the Son of God, but you questioned his authority. Who is the bogus and fanatic here?

fanatic is one who enter in a discussion about another subject and brings a little religious war to fulfill his pride

you have to thanks everyday srila prabhupada and pure gaudya vaishnavas, the only pure and safe sources to identify the personality of Lord Jesus

in all the confusion of christian theology jesus seems more a ficticious and legendary charachter than a reality

so have respect of the vaishnavas who are giving you the true confidence and faith in Lord Jesus Christ

Guest guest

"you have to thanks everyday srila prabhupada and pure gaudya vaishnavas, the only pure and safe sources to identify the personality of Lord Jesus"

Srila Prabhupada and Gaudya Vaishnavas don't have the authority to speak for Jesus. I think, they only talk about Jesus according to what they heard and personal interpretation of his identity. That's why, when i read about the claim about the other Guest that Srila Prabhupada is like Pilate, I think it is becasue Prabhupada only knew Jesus on what other people told him. If you only dig the true witnesses of Jesus rather than the negative writers of him whom they also like us, still searching for the truth.

Prabhupada and gaudya vaishnavas(for me) bring much confusion to the people by absorbing the mighty name of Jesus to their teachings rather than glorifying Jesus and give total respect to the ONLY Son of God of whom the Father is truly pleased. The Bible speaks much about him. It is just, you do not believe.

"in all the confusion of christian theology jesus seems more a ficticious and legendary charachter than a reality"

It is maybe becasue it is hard for you to accept the biblical writings about Jesus? And you closed your minds to the teachings given to you by your spiritual masters? Which they claim they knew much about Christ where can't haven't even read the New Testament or other truth about him.

"so have respect of the vaishnavas who are giving you the true confidence and faith in Lord Jesus Christ "

Isn't it enough to believe that Jesus is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world? How many lives you will have (if it's true) in order for you to accept that there is no way? no truth? no life? BUT with/of Jesus?

"Prabhupada and gaudya vaishnavas(for me) bring much confusion to the people by absorbing the mighty name of Jesus to their teachings rather than glorifying Jesus and give total respect to the ONLY Son of God of whom the Father is truly pleased"

this is the demonstration, you have no interest in religion and in jesus christ

you are only interested in pushing your group and your sectarism

you espect that every other religious group make a war with you so you are astonished and scandalized by people who, coming from a different background, give value to the things you believe

it is very simple.. if i am an archeologist and i discover something, i am very glad if a biologist or an antropologist give to me other demonstration that my theories are right

so, please excuse me, but i do not accept you as a true student of spiritual science, if you were a real follower of jesus christ you'd be very happy: "oh also harekrishnas appreciate jesus christ!! very nice!!"

and learn to help people... when you see questions in a forum, try to answer, what is the use to get in and destroy?

if we are sure in our faith you will have the effect of a mosquito

if we are fanatic, making war, you will increase our fanaticism

Guest guest

"this is the demonstration, you have no interest in religion and in jesus christ"

DON'T JUDGE ME. I HAVE SO MUCH INTEREST TO JESUS, BUT NOT WITH YOUR "EPIC" RELIGION.

"you are only interested in pushing your group and your sectarism"

DID I MENTIONED WHICH GROUP I BELONG? NOW I WILL. TO CHRIST ONLY I BELONG AND I WANT YOU TO BELIEVE HIM ALSO, NOT ONLY IN LIPS BUT BY YOUR HEART. ANYWAY, IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE, IT'S NOT MY LOSS, BUT OF COURSE IF YOU WILL BELIEVE THROUGH ME, THEN THE FATHER WILL SEE THAT IN HEAVEN. HOPE YOU WILL...

you espect that every other religious group make a war with you so you are astonished and scandalized by people who, coming from a different background, give value to the things you believe.

I DON'T WANT WAR. BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT BIBLE IS NOT PROMOTING WAR, BUT RATHER TO LOVE, SERVE AND FAITHFUL TO ONLY ONE GOD. NOT WITH SO MANY MANY GODS.

it is very simple.. if i am an archeologist and i discover something, i am very glad if a biologist or an antropologist give to me other demonstration that my theories are right.

I AM LOST HERE, REALLY. THEY ARE OF DIFFERENT FIELDS. AND BESIDES, ONCE YOU DISCOVER SOMETHING, THEN YOUR THEORY IS NOW A FACT. SINCE THEORY MEANS A CONCEPT THAT IS NOT YET VERIFIED, BUT IF YOU DID, THEN....THE BIOLOGIST OR ANTROPOLOGIST WILL JUST HELP TO JUSTIFY YOUR DISCOVERY.

so, please excuse me, but i do not accept you as a true student of spiritual science, if you were a real follower of jesus christ you'd be very happy: "oh also harekrishnas appreciate jesus christ!! very nice!!"

HMMMMM YOU ACTUALLY BLASPHEME THE lORD JESUS BY PUTTING HIM UNDER YOUR GODDESSES, WHICH TILL NOW, DON'T HAVE A SCIENTIFIC OR ARCHAELOGIC PROOF.

and learn to help people... when you see questions in a forum, try to answer, what is the use to get in and destroy?

I DID, BUT YOU DIDN'T RECOGNIZE ME. JUST ASKING AND COUNTER ASKING YOUR CLAIMS. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT?

if we are sure in our faith you will have the effect of a mosquito.

WELL....MOSQUITO COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE SOMETIMES IF THAT MOSQUITO IS A CARRIER OF MALARIA OR OTHER DISEASES.

GREAT!!! SEE WHO IS UNSURE BETWEEN US? I HOPE WHEN YOU ARE SURE, IT WILL BE FOR THE TRUE GOD. AND YOU ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME SO HURRY UP..BE SURE OKEY?

if we are fanatic, making war, you will increase our fanaticism.

YOU ARE A FANATIC. THANKS YOU ADMIT. YOU ADMIT YOU ARE NOT SURE. WHO IS FANATIC? PUSHING THINGS TO OTHERS YOU ARE NOT EVEN SURE FOR YOURSELF?

chant hare krsna and be happy.

CHANTING HK IS NOT A COMPLETE PRAYER. PLEASE TRY "OUR FATHER". SHOULD I GIVE YOU A COPY?

You judge and condemn us but yet you have no knowledge of us. You need to stop abusing us and discuss in such a manner as to open the minds of the non-believers. Your talk will only make the atheists remain as such making them believe they are correct in their beliefs. You are so brave behind the keyboard and computer monitor - how brave would you be to our faces. Oh I know what you will say but it will be a lie - oh brave unknown fool.

DON'T JUDGE ME. I HAVE SO MUCH INTEREST TO JESUS, BUT NOT WITH YOUR "EPIC" RELIGION.

you need to ban this disturbance. He/she/it will continue to ruin discussions.

We have little time in these bodies and need to think of Krsna and His Holy Name and pastimes not this.

To the great disturbing guest - you are nobody and I will not see you nor read your _rap again. Goodbye...

Some people are having a nice conversation about some simple beautiful and harmless tradtion and along comes the town drunk(fanatic) and pisses on the garland before the wedding ceremony.

This why even though I worship Jesus and chant his name I avoid these people like the plague.

They think their"preaching" is powerful but really all they are doing is pissing indiscriminatly.

They will, piss on your tradition, piss on your mala, piss on your shastra, piss on your prasad and then piss on you. Then they end their sermon by saying "be like me".

Please leave town fanatic.

Guest guest

hang on here for some time with open mind, and you will understand it.

we have no problem with sayign jesus is a son of god.

but we know he is not the only son of god.

if what bible says is true, then we all are bastqrds and sinners, and we as the sould are not. we know thies as fact from the vedic literature. we also know that kishna is the father of all living beings of past present and future, including jesus and you.

jai sri krishna! -madhav

Guest guest

Why for thousands of years of Mahabharata's existence (which the Bhagavad Geeta was taken), it is still called an EPIC? While compared to Bible that is know as "Scriptures"?

The Britannica described the words:

epic - long narrative poem recounting heroic deeds, although the term has also been loosely used to describe novels, such as Tolstoy's War and Peace, and motion pictures.

epic - Narrated in a grand style; pertaining to or designating a kind of narrative poem, usually called an heroic poem, in which real or fictitious events, usually the achievements of some hero, are narrated in an elevated style.

An epic may deal with such various subjects as myths , heroic legends , histories, edifying religious tales, animal stories, or philosophical or moral theories. Epic poetry has been used by peoples all over the world and in different ages to transmit their traditions from one generation to another, without the aid of writing.

Scriptures - A sacred writing or book.