IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Did the Hindus Help Write the Bible

Rate this topic

From the referenced site:<blockquote>The Mahabharata states:

"The progeny of Adamis and Hevas (Adam and Eve) soon became so wicked that they were no longer able to coexist peacefully. Brahma therefore decided to punish his creatures "Vishnu"

ordered Vaivasvata to build a ship for himself and his family. When the ship was ready, and Vaivasvata and his family were inside with the seeds of every plant and a pair of every species of animal, the big rains began and the rivers began to overflow."

</blockquote>

Guest guest

I also wondered if that was in the Mahabharata. I read a condensed version of it (Subrmanyanam's) and it was not in there, but could be in a larger one. However, I still am uncertain. Its interesting tho. Would be nice to see the Sanskrit to back it up.

What I found unclear about that web site is how they try to claim different personalities are all Noah, and different pastmes all the one of the Arc and flood. I'm not saying this site is wrong but that it does not 'know' the truth, and that the truth is probalby one of their stories, but which one?

YS,

Prtha dd

Devotees used to say "that Prabhupada said" (we know not to trust that without proof) that the Jews descended from the Yadu dynasty. I have never read that. But I have often wondered about the Bhagavatam accounts being written into the Bible. Maybe as bits and peices from other books or handed down and down changing a little along the way.

Interesting. But what we have in the SB is so much more and more specific.

I will post Genesis one and then one somewhat similar verse from the Bhagavatam as an illustration.

Genesis 1

The Beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.

5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning-the first day.

6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water."

7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so.

8 God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning-the second day.

9 And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so.

10 God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good.

11 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so.

12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

13 And there was evening, and there was morning-the third day.

14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years,

15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so.

16 God made two great lights-the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.

17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth,

18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good.

19 And there was evening, and there was morning-the fourth day.

20 And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky."

21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

22 God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth."

23 And there was evening, and there was morning-the fifth day.

24 And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so.

25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

26 Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

27 So God created man in his own image,

in the image of God he created him;

male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

29 Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground-everything that has the breath of life in it-I give every green plant for food." And it was so.

31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning-the sixth day.

And from the SB

SB 11.9.28: The Supreme Personality of Godhead, expanding His own potency, maya-sakti, created innumerable species of life to house the conditioned souls. Yet by creating the forms of trees, reptiles, animals, birds, snakes and so on, the Lord was not satisfied within His heart. Then He created human life, which offers the conditioned soul sufficient intelligence to perceive the Absolute Truth, and became pleased.

Thiest,

There is a quote on my third Christ/Krishna web page, toward the end somewhere (sorry I dont have it on hand at the moment), where Prabhupada made a comment, but it was a little different in meaning than that. Something to the effect that he read (newspaper? research? etc) the Jews were from the Yadu dynasty but that Krishna took all the Yadu dynasty out of this material world. Also that blood lineage cannot connect one to Krishna. If you can find my site, you will see it there. Or if you remind me, I will get the URL out and post.

Guest guest

There is no doubt that there has been a connection between Hindus and Jews in the past. We may refer oneself simply to a common word Peace: Shalom and Salaam.

Moreover, many concepts of Jewish mysticism seem to derive from Hindouism: i.e. the Seven Spirits (this is why the candlestick bears 7 candles that must be aligned).

The only question that remains is when and how.

Guest guest

Satan always tries to conterfiet God(Yaweh) the only God and since all society was one at one time why would it be strange to see hinduism or any other "religion" copy and change Judeo Christian history.

The Bible -- God said it, that settles it!

Guest guest

We may refer oneself simply to a common word Peace: Shalom and Salaam.

Umm, neither Shalom nor Salaam are Hindu words... how do you gather that there is a relationship between Hinduism and Judaism by comparing a Hebrew and Arabic word?

Rascal_Number_one

Guest guest

Satan always tries to conterfiet God(Yaweh) the only God and since all society was one at one time why would it be strange to see hinduism or any other "religion" copy and change Judeo Christian history.

The Bible -- God said it, that settles it!

Know one thing. Hinduism predates your primitive bible and your False and satanic bible god.

On the issue of Jews being possibly the descendants of Yadu dynasty, here is a letter from Srila Prabhupada:

Letter to: Nayanabhirama

--

London

22 August, 1971

71-08-22

Philadelphia

My Dear Nayana Bhirama,

Please accept my blessings. I beg to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 16th August, 1971 and have noted the contents carefully. Also I have received your check for $25.00 and I thank you very much for the same. Yes, if it is approved by the GBC then I have no objection if you and your wife go to Israel to help out there. Philadelphia temple has improved nicely under your supervision. So for the time being continue to develop it nicely. Nothing should be done hastily or haphazardly. Then when the temple is very firmly situated I have no objection for your going. So do the needful and ask Krishna to help you.

Because there is some similarity of the word Jew and Yadu so some historian or scholar, so called, created this notion. I have read it also in some paper. But even it is true, we have nothing to do with it. Lord Krishna killed his own dynasty under His personal supervision. So certainly Krishna didn't like the idea that future dynasties would be able to identify having Krishna's blood. Krishna has no material blood; neither He is different from His body. The example is given that Malayan sandalwood is famous as grown in Malaya but the fact is that sandalwood can grow anywhere. Nowadays in Malaya there are only rubber trees but still in the market the sandalwood is known as Malayan sandalwood. Similarly a family may become famous for Krishna taking birth in that family but Krishna is independent and can appear anywhere and everywhere, where His devotees are.

Hoping this will meet you in good health.

Your ever well-wisher,

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

ACBS/adb

Old Testament: you will be lucky to find more than a couple of statements that this scripture claims God said Himself. New Testament: these are based on words spoken by Jesus of Nazareth, a great prophet and self proclaimed Son of God. In the Vedas however, there are hundreds and hundreds of verses where God is quoted directly ("Sri Bhagavan uvaca:")